Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lower quality, perhaps, but is the 60% price increase of an already expensive burger worth it?

I don't care if I eat at a local place or a chain place. I just want some good food for a price that isn't ridiculous. Right now, the prices are ridiculous. I can buy an entire large LaRosas pizza for the price of a burger and fries at this place.
    I think you need a better grasp of food cost. Pizza has and will always be one of the cheapest products to make. Looking at their menu, sure it seems lofty but it certainly isn't outrageous. Supposing they're using CAB their price of steaks and prime rib is and actually extremely reasonable given the inflated cost of rib-eye right now. People seem to think that business raise prices based purely on a profit system but between food cost and labor a lot of places come close to just hitting cost with their prices. Most of the profit they expect is from appetizers, desserts and drinks. I've worked at places where the profit margin on a $30 filet was only about $3 again not outrageous, just a product to get you in to buy other products.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Had a chance to sample some of the food there last night (after just drinking at my previous stop-in): Pretty good. Everyone at my table seemed to enjoy their meals. The BBQ Chicken Flatbread got especially rave reviews as an appetizer. I had a chicken sandwich that was excellent.

I would definitely go back for dinner in the future.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-03-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07 View Post
    I think you need a better grasp of food cost. Pizza has and will always be one of the cheapest products to make. Looking at their menu, sure it seems lofty but it certainly isn't outrageous. Supposing they're using CAB their price of steaks and prime rib is and actually extremely reasonable given the inflated cost of rib-eye right now. People seem to think that business raise prices based purely on a profit system but between food cost and labor a lot of places come close to just hitting cost with their prices. Most of the profit they expect is from appetizers, desserts and drinks. I've worked at places where the profit margin on a $30 filet was only about $3 again not outrageous, just a product to get you in to buy other products.
    If a burger cost that much, then other places wouldn't be able to sell them, with the same amount of actual meat, for 60-70% off of that price. You are paying more for the burger because of where the place is located, not because of what it cost.

If a burger cost that much, then other places wouldn't be able to sell them, with the same amount of actual meat, for 60-70% off of that price. You are paying more for the burger because of where the place is located, not because of what it cost.
    Oh there's no doubt location is part of the equation but it also depends what grade meat they are using. Burgers aren't the best example hence why I brought up ribeye, not to mention prices of certain items have to reflect the rest of the menu. My point is that this might not just be some overpriced bar as some people are writing it off to be. No sense in passing judgement when no one has really tried it yet.

I went to both places before the concert last night. Lager House was cool and I had a great beer but it was expensive and wasn't really my scene. Got to the Holy Grail just before it got very crowded and had a good time there. All being said, you can't beat $4 beers at O'Malley's...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    All being said, you can't beat $4 beers at O'Malley's...
    Sure you can. I bet the grocery store sells them much cheaper.

And yet, that isn't really the point...

Some people actually enjoy going out, being social and having a good time. Of course you can buy a six pack at your local grocery store, but that isn't the same thing as going out with friends, having an adult beverage or two and having a good time.

Do you honestly enjoy your pompous, self-righteous know-it-all schtick or do you find it as tedious as the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    And yet, that isn't really the point...

Some people actually enjoy going out, being social and having a good time. Of course you can buy a six pack at your local grocery store, but that isn't the same thing as going out with friends, having an adult beverage or two and having a good time.

Do you honestly enjoy your pompous, self-righteous know-it-all schtick or do you find it as tedious as the rest of us?
    I enjoy it.

My issue is that the idea of $4 beers is a good deal. I guess for some, it isn't terrible. But when you can by a case for $20 at the store of the same beer that is $4 at the bar, I am going to point out that you indeed can beat that.

Of course I don't drink, so maybe I just don't get the idea of "going out and drinking socially".

I enjoy it.

My issue is that the idea of $4 beers is a good deal. I guess for some, it isn't terrible. But when you can by a case for $20 at the store of the same beer that is $4 at the bar, I am going to point out that you indeed can beat that.

Of course I don't drink, so maybe I just don't get the idea of "going out and drinking socially".
    Actually, $4 for the beer I was drinking was a terrific deal. Just as you wouldn't pay for one of Terry's burgers, I'm sure you'd prefer beer of the $20 case variety. I wanted something I can taste.

If you don't want to drink that's fine, but then you aren't going to have any perspective on this issue. I was downtown for a concert with some buddies. Six-packs were not a priority...

Actually, $4 for the beer I was drinking was a terrific deal. Just as you wouldn't pay for one of Terry's burgers, I'm sure you'd prefer beer of the $20 case variety. I wanted something I can taste.

If you don't want to drink that's fine, but then you aren't going to have any perspective on this issue. I was downtown for a concert with some buddies. Six-packs were not a priority...
    I would rather have a Coke, because like you, I want something that tastes good.

We went to the Lager House tonight and really enjoyed it. A 2 hour wait at 4 P.M. and when we left at 7:20 there was a line all the way to the sidewalk. So I'd say that at the moment the prices aren't deterring anyone. The food was very good and so was the beer.

But there's something to be said for enjoying your beer with others in a fun downtown atmosphere next to the ballpark.

You know, you can also save a lot of money just watching the Reds at home instead of going to games. But where's the fun in that?

How was the concert? I heard the sold-out crowd was really into it.

I would rather have a Coke, because like you, I want something that tastes good.
    It's a taste you have to acquire over time. I didn't like beer at first either. Now there are times when I crave it. I don't think you can ever appreciate the taste of beer if you limit yourself to the kind of light beer they sell by the 30...

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    How was the concert? I heard the sold-out crowd was really into it.
    That's a tough question for me to answer because it was the third time I saw The Black Keys and second time I saw the Arctic Monkeys. I'm not the kind of person to hate a band because they become popular, but I do hold some animosity towards fans who don't appreciate their back catalog and didn't give AM a chance. This was my first "arena" show and I hated being stuck in front of a seat. 'course the floor looked kinda lame. All in all the two bands killed it and put on a great show...

Turn Off Ads?