Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: top prospect you have never heard of

top prospect you have never heard of

Carlos Ramos is being compared to Cueto and Corcino. 5-11 with great arm. With DSL Reds in 2010, 3-0, 0.55, 33 IP, 19 H, 36 SO. Will be on radar in 2011. Some say he is the real deal. People are talking about this kid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: top prospect you have never heard of

Nice to hear. Thanks 72.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Extended Spring Reds could have a rotation of Guillon, Correa, Cisco, Ramos, and Mitch Clarke. Two top-20 prospects, a # 26, and two guys that could be top 20's next year.

Thanks, 72. He's from the same area as Cueto too...San Pedro de Macoris.

I'm hoping Correa and Guillon get a chance at cracking the Dayton rotation.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I'm hoping Correa and Guillon get a chance at cracking the Dayton rotation.
    Maybe later in the year. It's cold in Dayton early, and keeping the real young guys in extended camp will help limit their innings.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Ramos was a closer last year for the Dominican Reds, and not particularly young for the league, all of which makes it a surprise to hear him mentioned in the company of Cueto, Corcino, Guillon, et al. A nice surprise.

Hey 72, what are your thoughts on Jonathan Correa? He posted good numbers last season and Kevin Goldstein had some nice things to say about him. I'm curious to hear your thoughts too.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Dayton rotation looks like Robles, Lotzkar, Corcino, Tuttle, and one spot open. Bullpen: Howell, Hayes, Doyle, Wolford, Crabbe, Renken, Josh Smith. One of those could go in the rotation. Hard for a young guy like Guillon or Correa to crack that staff right away, but several could move up quickly if they do well and open a spot.

Ramos' birthday in the Reds media guide is listed at 3-12-93, but they have his opening day age listed at 20. Not sure. But I have heard from good sources that he has really impressed.

They really like Correa. Does not have the maturity of a Corcino at this point but is capable of moving up the prospect list quickly. I have not seen him yet.

Some of these guys get opportunities based as much on their predicted ability to handle failure as much as their current developmental level as a pitcher. Jacob Johnson came to Dayton last year despite not having the arm of a Tuttle because they knew he had a great mental makeup, would keep working hard when the going got tough, and even though he would take some lumps, he would be able to handle failure and keep competing. All players are not in that category. I think some lessons were learned with the rushing of Sulbaran. They won't make the same mistake again with a young kid who is not there yet, maturity wise.

72, have you heard anything about some of the other pitchers who excelled in the foreign leagues last year? Notably, Luis Gonzalez, Abel de los Santos, Elizier Beard, Wandy Peralta, Jose Guzman or Radhames Quezada? Also, any word on Wes Mugarian? Thanks in advance.

Enjoying your Dayton position previews.

72, did you see enough of Renken to form an opinion? He was a starter all three years at CSUF, a good baseball school. From the description in BA, it sounds as if his stuff may be better suited to starting.

Curious 72...

Does that mean players like Chiu, Cline, Shunick, Arico, Panetari are being jumped a level or left behind in ExST?
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Cline might have a chance to go to Dayton. Shunick should be in Bakersfield, where it will be tough to judge stats (350' to center). Some of those other guys will have to battle for maybe the last spot in Dayton. None of the guys on that list throw hard. Chiu was effective as a lefty last year throwing 82-85. Arico was in the same mph range. Shunick threw a little harder, 86-88. I don't know about Panetari but none of the other guys on that list hit 90.

Some of those guys would be able to go to extended but are aged out of Billings. They had Chiu in Billings last year for 30 days, which was his limit based on his experience level. There is a league rule.

Renken...by the time he got to Dayton he had too many innings on his arm over the course of the year to show what he could really do, but a scout I talked to the other day did single him out as a guy who has really looked good this spring. He should be in Dayton (not sure if he starts or pitches out of the bullpen).

I will try to get some info on some of those Latin pitchers that were listed. Mugarian...yes, they like him but he is just a kid so look for him in Billings. Still decisions to be made. It is early. Who knows? Maybe Sisco or Mugarian really jumps out and wins a spot in Dayton, but I would not expect that.

As always, thank you for the thorough, thoughtful reply. I look forward to your insights on players that pass through Dayton this year.

I really like Cline, but could have sworn he threw harder than that. Mid 90's when he was drafted, IIRC. (Which means low 90's with regularity.)

What happened to that arm?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Cline has been an 85-87 guy with a good secondary pitch. I have heard he has added a little velocity, but the lack of anything close to an average fastball has kept him off any of the prospect lists despite good numbers over the last two years. He needs to overcome maturity issues that have held him back.

Turn Off Ads?