Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2012 Free Agents

2012 Free Agents

I was just glancing at the list out of curiosity of what might happen near trade deadline. I thought maybe there would be a top of rotation starter that could come available due to pending free agency but it appears not. After looking at this the Reds definitely need their young starters to continue to develop because I dont believe there will be any possibility of help from this list. Granted the Reds might not have been in hunt anyways for a Ace but appears there wont even be speculation as with Cliff Lee in 2010. Also appears the SS and 3B future will have to come from in house as well. The farm system has done a great job so far with getting the reds here, lets hope they finish job and get us to next level in playoffs.

Is it just me or will this be the weakest Free Agent class in recent memory?

Link via MLBTR

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...ee-agents.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Free Agents

yuck not a pretty list. Assuming nothing takes place with Albert or Prince during the season they'll definitely be all the rage in the offseason but obviously the number of big money players is pretty limited for them. Most of the attractive names on that list have club options that will almost definitely be picked up barring something unforseen.

Jimmy Rollins could do himself a big favor by rebounding to his old self this season and Jonathan Broxton holds his financial fate in his hands as well...I'd look for big years out of both of those guys.

It'll also be interesting to see if C.C. opts out and makes the yanks pony up even more.

I think one guy to keep in mind is Josh Johnson. He doesn't seem too likely, because he is in the 2nd year of a 4 year, $39 million deal. Almost $28 million of that comes over the last 2 years, however.
    Keep in mind that the Marlins have never hesitated to trade any player, no matter how young or talented. If they have a bad enough season, I could see Johnson being available.
    Whether the Reds would be interested in paying the steep price he'd command is another story altogether. Hopefully the staff performs well enough that adding a #1 guy isn't an issue.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

David DeJesus
    Omar Infante
    and Carlos Beltran

All of those interest me, and depending on Beltran's year, all could be pretty affordable. DeJesus or Beltran in left, and Infante in the infield.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    yuck not a pretty list. Assuming nothing takes place with Albert or Prince during the season they'll definitely be all the rage in the offseason but obviously the number of big money players is pretty limited for them.
    Yeah I suppose its not that weak overall if you take into account the 1st baseman. To be honest I completely glanced over 1B since that wont be a need for the reds for a few years. The division would shape up quite nicely for the reds if both of those 1B took their talents elsewhere. I certainly see Prince leaving and hopefully to the AL....possibly angels.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I think one guy to keep in mind is Josh Johnson. He doesn't seem too likely, because he is in the 2nd year of a 4 year, $39 million deal. Almost $28 million of that comes over the last 2 years, however.
    Keep in mind that the Marlins have never hesitated to trade any player, no matter how young or talented. If they have a bad enough season, I could see Johnson being available.
    Whether the Reds would be interested in paying the steep price he'd command is another story altogether. Hopefully the staff performs well enough that adding a #1 guy isn't an issue.
    I really think the reds do end up going after Johnson at the break. If the Marlins are out of it, they may want to stock up for when the phillies come back to earth, with both hanley and johnson and reasonable possibilities.

With Cordero coming off the books next year, they may even have the room to add him financially. Johnson is a much better fit for the Reds than the Marlins during that time as that's our main competition window. At that time we should be able to trade 2 major league ready starting pitchers for 1 + prospects.

Turn Off Ads?