Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 Man prediction thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

25 Man prediction thread

I know this will be met with some thoughts of it being too early but frankly I like to gauge gut reaction in a small sample size, I think it's usually pretty telling. Who makes the opening day 25 man roster? I'll present mine as a lineup/bench/rotation order/pen order prediction as well. Obviously this is health permitting though some guys (Arredondo) you might decide is likely to not make it right away due to where he is in his recovery process.

LF - Dave Sappelt
    2B - Brandon Phillips
    1B - Joey Votto (LH)
    3B - Scott Rolen
    RF - Jay Bruce (LH)
    CF - Drew Stubbs
    C - Ramon Hernandez
    SS - Paul Janish

C - Hanigan
    MIF - Renteria
    CIF - Cairo
    CIF - Juan Francisco (LH)
    OF - Fred Lewis (LH)
    OF - Jonny Gomes

Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Wood (LH)
    Bailey

Cordero - CL
    Masset - SU
    Chapman - SU (LH)
    Burton - MR
    Bray - MR (LH)
    Ondrusek - MR

I think they go with an extra bat early this time around, just a hunch. And I think Sappelt and Lewis beat out Heisey as a reserve OF. I think once Arredondo is ready you'll see Francisco go back to AAA unless there are injuries or Cairo is sent packing if he isn't performing.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Re: 25 Man prediction thread

Only comment I have is that I don't see Sappelt making the opening day 25, much less the opening day roster. I forget the number, but Fay mentioned he only has (a certain amount of games) played above A-ball, plus the fact that he's not on the 40 man.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Only comment I have is that I don't see Sappelt making the opening day 25, much less the opening day roster. I forget the number, but Fay mentioned he only has (a certain amount of games) played above A-ball, plus the fact that he's not on the 40 man.
    Have Sappelt and Heisey ever been seen in the same room together?

Agree on Homer's thoughts though. I cannot see him making the OD roster.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Have Sappelt and Heisey ever been seen in the same room together?

Agree on Homer's thoughts though. I cannot see him making the OD roster.
    Not sure why you would ask that, they are quite a bit different players at this juncture. Curious as to what you mean?
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-09-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Why is everyone so ready to jump on the Willis bandwagon, yet Burton is all of sudden just depth? The guy has one of the best cutters in baseball and he is extremely effective when he is on. Willis hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn for quite some time now.

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'd say there is zero chance that Sappy makes the opening day roster, pending injuries of course. Even less chance he will be in the lineup on an everyday basis. Heisey is pretty much a lock as he's a great firelder and can play all 3 positions.

The only isssue is really whether they will carry 12 pitchers early on, and I believe they will.

Walt said on the TV broadcast the other day that at this point Sappelt will play center in Louisville. I think it'll take a whole bunch to change that.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I agree with the others...Sappelt won't be on the 25 man.

How about swapping out Willis for Burton?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I agree with the others...Sappelt won't be on the 25 man.

How about swapping out Willis for Burton?
    I think they'll both make it. 12 pitchers. I'd prefer 11, but I fully expect 12.

It's early, but if he keeps pitching well, I think there's little doubt Willis makes the club. Not sure I can guess who will be the odd man out.

I agree too that Sappelt won't make the opening roster. As it is, they'll have to do some juggling to make room on the 40 man roster, plus Sappelt needing time at AAA, I just don't see him playing that well that he makes it right now.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

My guess on opening day roster

Locks:

OF -Gomes, Lewis, Stubbs, Bruce.
    INF - Cario, Rolen, Votto, Phillips, Renturia, Janish
    C - Hernandez, Hannigan
    SP - Arroyo, Bailey, Volquez, Wood, Cueto
    RP - Cordero, Masset, Chapman, Bray, Willis, Ondrusek, Arroyondo

Up for grabs, one OF spot.. Prediction: Hermedia wins the last OF slot, to get an extended look and be a LH bat off the bench. Heisey sent to AAA for insurance.

In the pen, Burton and Smith are insurance in the minor leagues and will be called up when/if someone falters. I think Willis is a lock to make Opening Day. He will get 4-6 weeks on the roster to prove whether his roster spot is justified or not.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

isn't Burton a lock? I was thinking he was out of options and I doubt he'd make it through waivers...maybe I dreamed that.

I'm going the usual suspects...

Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Wood, and Bailey

Cordero, Masset, Burton, Bray, Chapman, Ondrusek, and Willis(i love the 3 lefty thing)

Votto, Phillips, Janish, Rolen, Renteria, Cairo

Gomes, Bruce, Stubbs, Lewis, Heisey

Hanigan, Hernandez

I am excited with what i've seen out of Dave Chappelle, er uh Sappelt and I love what I saw when Valaika came up last year and am anxious to go over and see them in Gwinnett.

Also as for Francisco it's almost cliche'd at this point but i still think he's better off playing every day even though i like his stick off the bench. If Rolen gets a pull or strain or something it'd be nice to have ol' Juan come up in stride

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    My guess on opening day roster

Locks:

OF -Gomes, Lewis, Stubbs, Bruce.
    INF - Cario, Rolen, Votto, Phillips, Renturia, Janish
    C - Hernandez, Hannigan
    SP - Arroyo, Bailey, Volquez, Wood, Cueto
    RP - Cordero, Masset, Chapman, Bray, Willis, Ondrusek, Arroyondo

Up for grabs, one OF spot.. Prediction: Hermedia wins the last OF slot, to get an extended look and be a LH bat off the bench. Heisey sent to AAA for insurance.

In the pen, Burton and Smith are insurance in the minor leagues and will be called up when/if someone falters. I think Willis is a lock to make Opening Day. He will get 4-6 weeks on the roster to prove whether his roster spot is justified or not.
    I don't think both Lewis and Hermida make it, though Hermida could make it in Lewis' place.

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't think both Lewis and Hermida make it, though Hermida could make it in Lewis' place.
    I agree, one of the spare OF will have to hit right, which makes Heisey a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I agree, one of the spare OF will have to hit right, which makes Heisey a lock.
    I have a hunch Sappelt will force this issue. He may not start (just my wishful thinking if he is now what he has shown as of late) but I think he has a pretty good shot of beating out Heisey at this point. Heisey simply hasn't addressed his issues at the plate and until he does he will be lucky to hit much in S/T.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?