Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 25 Man prediction thread

Re: 25 Man prediction thread

I would love to see Dave Sappelt win the LF job but it's not going to happen, no matter how well he hits. I just hope if he tears it up in Louisville and Gomes plays like he did last year that Dusty will be quick to send Gomes to the bench and give Sappelt (or Heisey) a chance.

My 25-man roster prediction:

Catcher:

Ryan Hanigan
    Ramon Hernandez

Infielders:

Joey Votto
    Brandon Phillips
    Scott Rolen
    Paul Janish
    Edgar Renteria
    Miguel Cairo

Outfielders:

Jay Bruce
    Drew Stubbs
    Chris Heisey
    Fred Lewis
    Jonny Gomes

Starting Pitchers:

Edinson Volquez
    Bronson Arroyo
    Johnny Cueto
    Homer Bailey
    Travis Wood

Relievers:

Aroldis Chapman
    Nick Masset
    Jose Arredondo
    Bill Bray
    Francisco Cordero
    Dontrelle Willis
    Logan Ondrusek

It was tough leaving Jared Burton out but I don't see him winning a spot over Ondrusek.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Apparently arrandondo has options left (per fay tweets today). I didn't know that. If he doesn't sharpen up in time, that being the case, he could be AAA bound to work on command leaving last spot to burton in pen. I do agree it's likely down to burton and arrendondo for the last spot. Based on dusty's comments in last 24 hours and what willis is showing, I am guessing dontrelle is in process of making the team.

Just a few notes on roster options.

Hermedia looks good at tHe plate, but not so hot in the field, judging from Marty's comments. That could hurt his chances.

I don't think any decisions concerning the pen will be even be thought about until then final two weeks. These early results don't mean much. It will come down to who is throwing the best when the bell rings, IMO.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

-The Insider-

Hermy has always had great plate discipline but has been subpar on the field.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 03-12-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I agree, one of the spare OF will have to hit right, which makes Heisey a lock.
    I guess I don't feel that Heisey is a lock.. especially since he can be sent to AAA.. I think if Lewis and Hermedia have a solid spring, they will open with the team.. Now maybe they don't make it through July, but I was just predicting opening day.

That said, it's a tough race for that last OF slot.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The final outfield spot should be down to Hermida or Lewis, not Hermida or Heisey, IMO. If Hermida and Lewis both make the team, then your left field options are Gomes, Hermida, and Lewis, none of which are known for their defense. Lewis is the best of the three but he's only around average. Heisey should make the team for his defense, not to mention he provides some power off the bench.

Maybe there will be a surprise or two after all.

After Yesterday's 2 games against the Cubs, the Reds have played 16 games (17 if we count the intersquad games). Counting the split squad on the 19th, there are 17 to play. After today the team will have gone three times through the rotation. Its time for guys to start going 5 and innings will start to get scarce. The Reds camp is much improved IMO with only 54 official invitees instead of the 65 or so we've seen in season's past. The extended time with multiple looks for some of the kids is much better than seeing more retreads and hangers-on getting time in Spring.

So far, we haven't seen anyone get cut, but it has to be coming soon. I'm guessing we'll see the unofficial guys back in minor league games and some cuts soon. The funny thing is that most of the guys who are likely to be the first cuts are performing well. The main guys are struggling (Janish is the only member of the projected starting 8 with a small sample OPS above .700). Setbacks to Cueto and Willis might muddy the water a bit, but some cuts have to be coming. I'm guesing the first round will include Klinker, Reineke, Denove and Grandal but others who looked like the likely early cuts may have earned themselves more time.

On the staff, Jerry Gil and Scott Carroll are looking pretty decent and with guys like Smith, Valiquette and Fisher struggling so far, we might yet see a surprise if Arredondo's, Willis' and Cueto's problems create an opening.

In the OF, Lewis and Gomes are struggling while Sappelt, Hermida and Heisey are doing well. If Dusty's remark about Lewis needing to make the team is serious, we might see a surprise there as well.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-13-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sappelt has great potential....but needs regular time at this point. He should start at AAA, Heisey should be the sure thing, and Lewis gets a slight nod over Hermida.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Catcher: Hanigan, Hernandez.

First base: Votto, Cairo

Second base: Phillips, Renteria

Shortstop: Janish (Renteria)

Third base: Rolen (Renteria)

Outfield: Gomes, Lewis, Stubbs, Bruce, Heisey

Starting pitchers: Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Wood, Bailey

Relievers: Cordero, Chapman, Masset, Arredondo, Bray, Burton, Ondrusek

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The final outfield spot should be down to Hermida or Lewis, not Hermida or Heisey, IMO. If Hermida and Lewis both make the team, then your left field options are Gomes, Hermida, and Lewis, none of which are known for their defense. Lewis is the best of the three but he's only around average. Heisey should make the team for his defense, not to mention he provides some power off the bench.
    Sounds like Dusty agrees...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...n-other-notes/

The only real issues on this team are on the pitching staff. I think Heisey and Lewis will make the team, and Hermida will be sent down or cut. Heisey is needed for defensive flexibility. I doubt the Reds signed Lewis to a major league contract to cut him now.

On the pitching staff, assuming Cueto is healthy, the starting staff seems set. I was touting Leake but he hasn't looked that good this spring so far and I'm now guessing his only chance is in long relief.

Cordero, Masset, Bray, Chapman, and Ondrusek are locks IMO.

That leaves Leake, Willis, Burton, Lecure, possibly Maloney, Arredondo, Smith for two spots.

I still think it's too early to tell which will make it. As of now, I'd guess that the competition is among Willis, Burton and Lecure.

Arredondo likely gets some work at AAA.
    Maloney is either traded or is a AAA starter.
    Leake seems like a AAA starter based on his spring performance.
    Smith probably is at AAA getting ready.

Don't count out Lecure. He can provide effective innings as a long-middle reliever. He could make it.

Don't count out Lecure. He can provide effective innings as a long-middle reliever. He could make it.
    Absolutely. If the staff is 12, he should be there. Maybe even 11, ahead of Willis. Definitely ahead of Burton, in my book.

MLBTR list Arredondo as out of options.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ions-2011.html

If that's the case, I see him going to the DL with an extended minor league rehab to start the season.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    MLBTR list Arredondo as out of options.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ions-2011.html

If that's the case, I see him going to the DL with an extended minor league rehab to start the season.
    I'm not too sure about this.MLBTraderumors has been wrong before on this front. I just am not certain.

As for putting him on the DL. It's possible, more teams have gotten away with doing things like that.

Probably needs to with so many of our guys being a bit wild at times LeCure could provide a little stability. Unfortunately for him and the Reds he isn't a high leverage strike throwing machine, just a low leverage guy. Personally though I'd prefer him over Willis. I've just seen to much horror from Willis over the past few years not to suspect it coming.

Additionally after some reflection maybe Hermida needs to make it over Lewis, he's looked like crap at the plate. That's not to be confused with hasn't produced well at the plate, his approach is just not real good.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?