Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Pitching Helmet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Pitching Helmet?

http://www.csnne.com/03/09/11/Pitchi...27&feedID=4945

“The Easton-Bell Sports pitching helmet prototype uses lightweight energy managing materials to provide protection to the most vulnerable areas of the head, without compromising comfort or performance. The helmet is made of expanded polystyrene polycarbonate, which is attached to a comfortable liner and elastic strap.”
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: The Pitching Helmet?

The wussification of america continues.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    If a base coach 90 feet away from the batter needs a helmet now, why not put one on the player who is 60 feet 6 inches away?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    If a base coach 90 feet away from the batter needs a helmet now, why not put one on the player who is 60 feet 6 inches away?
    The third base coach shouldn't need a helmet. One freak accident in the minor leagues resulted in MLB overreacting.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

It's a litigation society that creates these situations

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Injuries are awesome. Skull fractures especially

My favorite part, is when, depending on the location and severity of the injury, you have to relearn stuff like how to walk and eat.

Suck it up wimps.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 03-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

My favorite part, is when, depending on the location and severity of the injury, you have to relearn stuff like how to walk and eat.

Suck it up wimps.
    We should get rid of pads in football, how cool would those injuries be?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    We should get rid of pads in football, how cool would those injuries be?
    I can't remember where I read it, but I recall some people theorizing that the severe concussions we see today in organized football is caused because the players have too much protection. It has supposedly let to players feeling somewhat invincible and therefore launching themselves at other players at forces not seen in days of yore.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I can't remember where I read it, but I recall some people theorizing that the severe concussions we see today in organized football is caused because the players have too much protection. It has supposedly let to players feeling somewhat invincible and therefore launching themselves at other players at forces not seen in days of yore.
    I have heard this argument, but I don't agree.

As you said, people can theorize all sorts of things, but it is much more likely that athletes today are larger, faster, stronger, and are more aware of technique that enables them to dish out more punishment on opponents. I can't imagine how equipment could possibly trump the energy that comes with the competitive endeavor.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Suck it up wimps.
    I'm imagining a sarcastic tone...

As far as NFL players go, many of them don't wear lower body pads any more, especially players at speed (WR, CB, S) positions. The NFL is considering making the knee and thigh pads mandatory.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Suck it up wimps.
    Living life carries a certain amount of risks. If skull fractures concern you so much I am sure you require all passengers in your car wear helmets correct??

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Let's just put each player in a bubble. That way, no one would get hurt.
    sorry we're boring

I saw this on TV the other day. It looks kinda like a bike helmet but not as big. I'm not sure this really needs to be done even though it seems more pitchers are getting hit nowdays.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

From what I've seen, pitchers seem to need a hockey goalies mask more than a helmet.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'd be more inclined to go with styrofoam bats.

Turn Off Ads?