Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Pitching Helmet?

Re: The Pitching Helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't watch the Sports Science video I posted above. Batters may get hit more often, but pitchers are subject to balls hit back towards them at a much higher rate of velocity and with more than twice the amount of force.

Watch the Bryce Florie portion of the video. He had no chance to react. A ball launched at 120 mph towards a pitcher 55 feet away after following through on his delivery has little chance to react in time to defend himself.
    Anyone who has played baseball at a higher level knows the danger to the pitcher on a batted ball. I have had balls hit back past my ear that I had no chance to react to. The sound of the ball going by your ear is an unsettling reminder to say the least. Amazingly and fortunately, the only time I was ever hit by a batted ball when pitching, outside of a couple off my shoes or shins, was in the best possible place to get hit. The rear end.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Another note, I was never really worried about getting hit, and I think you have to have that mentality to succeed as a pitcher. It is, however, my biggest worry when my son pitches. He is at the middle school level right now and with the metal bats and size of the players, it is always in the forefront of my thoughts when he pitches.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I thought of this thread today when I read about Luis Salazar's plight in the morning paper.

Atlanta Braves Coach Has His Eye Removed After Being Hit By Foul Ball

A week after being hit in the head by a foul ball, minor league manager Luis Salazar had his left eye removed by doctors after they were unable to save it.

Salazar was knocked unconscious after a line drive that shot into the dugout during an Atlanta Braves spring training game last week.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Anyone who has played baseball at a higher level knows the danger to the pitcher on a batted ball. I have had balls hit back past my ear that I had no chance to react to. The sound of the ball going by your ear is an unsettling reminder to say the least. Amazingly and fortunately, the only time I was ever hit by a batted ball when pitching, outside of a couple off my shoes or shins, was in the best possible place to get hit. The rear end.
    I got hit by a one-hopper combacker in the windpipe when I was a sophmore in HS. I seriously thought I was going to die. Thankfully it was a one-hopper and no permanent damage was done, but I was severely gun-shy about climbing back up on the mound and flinched for a good while anytime something flew in the general direction of my face.

If it adds to the safety of the sport, I'm all for it, so long as it doesnt fundamentally change the way the game is played.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I thought of this thread today when I read about Luis Salazar's plight in the morning paper.

Atlanta Braves Coach Has His Eye Removed After Being Hit By Foul Ball
    That guy is supposedly going to be back in the dugout in the next 2 months.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Oh, man...I will never forget my brush with death. I was in high school and we were playing a team that had a first baseman named Andy (I forget his last name). His power was the talk of the league. I was nibbling, trying to stay away from his power and fell behind 3-0. I think he fouled one or two off and then lined one up the middle. I never saw it but heard the seams whistling past my ear. It really shook me up. It still does when I think about it.
    Last edited by Spitball; 03-18-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Oh, man...I will never forget my brush with death. I was in high school and we were playing a team that had a first baseman named Andy (I forget his last name). His power was the talk of the league. I was nibbling, trying to stay away from his power and fell behind 3-0. I think he fouled one or two off and then lined one up the middle. I never saw it but heard the seams whistling past my ear. It really shook me up. It still does when I think about it.
    It happens so fast, but it sure will stay with you for a while.

I am sure some little league or high school league will mandate that pitchers wear a "pitching helmet". That may be a little extreme but I have no problem with someone making this available to pitches at all levels. If you want some extra protection, now you have it.

Turn Off Ads?