Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bruce Weber eyeing some very young prospects.

Bruce Weber eyeing some very young prospects.

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/201...rten-near-you/

Heard about this on the radio on the way home from work. Just curious what everyone thought about this. Is it to young? Is he just putting himself a step ahead of everyone else?
    During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce Weber eyeing some very young prospects.

Its just my opinion but high school players should be off limits until their Jr. year. You need to allow a kid to be a kid and just play basketball. But its never going to be that way unless the NCAA mandates it.

IIRC Billy Clyde signed an 8th grader during his tenure at UK.

FWIW I think that college camps can be a great deal of fun for the kids. However no recruiting should be done on those camps.

Re: Bruce Weber eyeing some very young prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/201...rten-near-you/

Heard about this on the radio on the way home from work. Just curious what everyone thought about this. Is it to young? Is he just putting himself a step ahead of everyone else?
    He's simply putting his and Illinois' name out there for these kids/parents/families/friends to be more aware of. I can't imagine he is putting too much time into focusing on a 10 year old who would suit up in 2019...but if Weber throws these families a bone today, it could very well help him down the road...wherever he is. Why not.

Turn Off Ads?