Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs to Start Season Leading Off

Stubbs to Start Season Leading Off

per Fay:

Baker declares Stubbs leadoff man. "If it doesnt work, Ill change it" - Dusty
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stubbs to Start Season Leading Off

Dusty doesn't sound too confident. If he can hit like he hit in the 2nd half of the year this could payoff big time. He's gotta be a leadoff hitter for this team at some point.

Hope he can cut down on his K's

Instead of trying to assemble some sort of gigantic mathematical equation that solves the Reds biggest offensive dilemma, it is more important to assign the leadoff position to the player that allows the lineup to assemble in its most productive form. There are four guys on this team that have the capability to leadoff. Let's see how the lineup falls below them.

To see the rest, visit: http://tapthoseshinguards.blogspot.com/

I don't love the idea but without any real good options I can live with it as long as Dusty is willing to pull the plug if it does not work.

In my opinion Stubbs is a middle of the order bat with speed, not a top of the order bat with power. I think everyone agrees he needs to make better contact and cut down on the K's this season but the last thing I want to see is Stubbs bunting or slapping the ball on the ground trying to leg out hits.

The guy was flat out mashing from August on and if he can do that from the leadoff spot great. If on the other hand he tries to turn into Ichiro to fit the expected mold of being a leadoff hitter it is wasting his talent.
    Last edited by krm1580; 03-11-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Maybe Dusty should have waited a few days into spring training instead of announcing Gomes the staring LF. Then maybe Fred Lewis could have have played his way into the lead of spot and playing LF.

Now he puts someone that he isn't 100% on in the lead of spot and is 100% backing the guy most Reds fans don't want to see as there starting LF.

to me Stubbs if he could master the art of the bunt could be one of the most dangerous leadoff hitters in all of baseball...

Sappelt's performance thus far, is making it extremely hard not to figure in the equation. This spring he has been a caged Lion, who has escaped.

OMGGGGGGG Fire Dusty. Stubbs Leadoff Worst Decisionn evvvvvverrr.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I don't love the idea but without any real good options I can live with it as long as Dusty is willing to pull the plug if it does not work.

In my opinion Stubbs is a middle of the order bat with speed, not a top of the order bat with power. I think everyone agrees he needs to make better contact and cut down on the K's this season but the last thing I want to see is Stubbs bunting or slapping the ball on the ground trying to leg out hits.

The guy was flat out mashing from August on and if he can do that from the leadoff spot great. If on the other hand he tries to turn into Ichiro to fit the expected mold of being a leadoff hitter it is wasting his talent.
    Well said, I agree on all points. I would love to see Stubbs reach his potential, so few players can make the game look so easy. I just don't think batting leadoff allows him to reach his full potential. Neither do I think it's for the betterment of the team if he bats leadoff.

For a leadoff hitter you want: high OBP%, good base-running, power not important. The Reds don't have any hitter that fits that profile, so whoever he picks there will be critics. The good thinbg is I don't think batting order matters that much as long as the right players are in the lineup. After all, the Reds scored a lot last year without a typical leadoff hitter.

IMO I like a leadoff hitter who is patient and works the count. From a mental standpoint it is good to make the pitcher work a little and show his pitches right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    to me Stubbs if he could master the art of the bunt could be one of the most dangerous leadoff hitters in all of baseball...
    Like Stubbs says, the opposing team usually takes the bunt (for a hit) away from him. When he establishes himself as a hitter for average, the bunting game will open up.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    per Fay:

Baker declares Stubbs leadoff man. "If it doesnt work, Ill change it" - Dusty
    That's how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    OMGGGGGGG Fire Dusty. Stubbs Leadoff Worst Decisionn evvvvvverrr.
    I agree about firing Dusty.
    However, I think the Gomes is the LF and thinking about having Bruce lead off was the "Worst Decision ever".

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Like Stubbs says, the opposing team usually takes the bunt (for a hit) away from him. When he establishes himself as a hitter for average, the bunting game will open up.
    How does the opposing team take away something he doesn't have? He can't bunt he's horrible at it.

Turn Off Ads?