Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BENder UPDATE v2.0!

BENder UPDATE v2.0!

Just for the hell of it, it's time for the BENder UPDATE 2003!

Ben Broussard

Spring Stats!

G-9
    AB-22
    R-9
    TB-23
    2B-0
    3B-1
    HR-4
    RBI-10
    BB-5
    K-1
    BA-.409
    OBP-.519
    SLG-1.045
    OPS-1.564

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Might be nice to have a guy like that. Especially since the Reds first baseman is still recovering from injury and is also on a three year OPS slide. Do you think the Indians would take Larson or Branyon for him? Maybe Mateo?

1.564 OPS?! Bender's on fire!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    I'm bettin' we see some slippage in that 1.564 OPS over time. Any takers????

Originally posted by Red Heeler
    Do you think the Indians would take Larson or Branyon for him? Maybe Mateo?
    They probably wouldn't take Branyan since he was the guy they traded to get Ben is the first place.

I think they probably would take Larson or Mateo, because IMO Hafner is the guy they are banking on to take Thome's spot and a promising bat at another position might appeal to them more than Broussard.

That said (that one's for you FCB), I don't think Bowden would do that deal, since both Larson and Mateo are 'toolsier' than Ben.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    5 BB and only 1 K in 22 AB. Even the new and improved Branyan will never get close to that.

Broussard implied that when he came up last year he was pressing and that his swing was all over the place. Who knows, maybe he'll be what Ben Grieve was supposed to be.

This guy WAS the cheap alternative to Casey at 1B.

Actually, Steve, I was just being a smarta$$. I knew that it was Branyon that the Reds got in return. You are most likely right that Bowden wouldn't trade Larson or Mateo for Broussard, but it doesn't make him right. The Reds will continue to lose a fair percentage of position player trades until Jimbo or his successor figures out that the most important tool for a hitter is plate discipline.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Before we concede the trade to Cleveland, let's not lose sight of the fact that (1) Branyan played very well for us last year;(2) Brussard played very badly for Cleveland last year; and (3) you are basing Brussard's "ressurection" on a paltry 22 Spring Training AB's for God's sake. Oh I forgot, Ben was "pressing" last year.

I considered starting a thread with a BB update yesterday but figured I'd wait another week to see if he keeps it up. I've been following the Hafner-BB race closely. BB did not play winter ball as he usually does but stayed home and worked out as Cleveland suggested. He lost some fat and added some muscle. Reports are that both his bat and footspeed have improved this spring.

Shapiro has stated that he wants both of them to play everyday which suggests one may end up in Buffalo which seems a waste. I do think that BB is in their long-term plans though and they see Hafner taking over the DH role once Burks is moved. Hafner is having a good ST too with the bat but he has not been as impressive at 1B.

If a trade could be worked out with Cleveland, it should not be for BB but rather one of their LHP- Lee, Tallet, Traber or even Stanford. Yet I don't see Shapiro having much interest in what the Reds have to offer. At 3B, it appears Shapiro is pleased with Casey Blake (who is killing the ball) until Smith, Whitney or Peralta are ready (afterall he did let Chapman and MacDougall go). They are also pretty well stocked with OFs whom are impressing this spring too.
    Last edited by Bill; 03-12-2003 at 02:12 AM.

puffypig,

Yes, you are right--the "sample size" is too small!

The sample size usually depends on whose favorite player is being measured.

Hey Bill, do you read Pluto? here's what he had to say, in his newsletter....

First base is another excellent situation.

Ben Broussard and Travis Hafner have both been hitting. After a shaky start in the field, Hafner has settled down defensively. Broussard is very good with the glove.

I still see Hafner winning the job, Broussard opening at Class AAA Buffalo. Hafner has more Class AAA experience, and is a more disciplined hitter. But Broussard is now showing people why he won the Class AA Southern League batting title in 2001.

Neither of them has the raw power of Jim Thome. But think about the length of the contract and the staggering amount of dollars that would have been required to keep Thome. Then think about his possible back problems. So not signing him may turn out to be a huge blessing for the Tribe.

Especially if Hafner and/or Broussard come through.

Ben Broussard rounds third base after smacking a two-run home run off Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Cliff Politte.
    AP

Obviously, there is the typical March disclaimer next to this and everything else I'm writing: THIS IS JUST SPRING TRAINING AND IT'S EASY TO BE FOOLED.

But it's hard to ignore a minor league track record, and Hafner has a .317 batting average over his last four pro seasons.

Broussard was off to a good start at Class AAA Louisville last season, batting .273 with 11 HR and 30 RBI in 57 games before he was traded to the Tribe. He was then moved from first base to left field. The Indians said they'd give him a month at Buffalo to learn the new position.

Not quite.

The trade was made on June 7, and he was called up on June 23. In two stints with the Tribe, Broussard batted only .241 with 4 HR and 9 RBI in 112 at-bats. He had the lousy ratio of seven walks to 25 strikeouts.

Coming to the big leagues and having to play the outfield was just too much for him, as he seemed overwhelmed. He also thought he had to hit for instant power, and developed some bad habits in terms of a long, slow swing.

The plan seems to be for Broussard to go to Buffalo and be ready when Ellis Burks is traded, which may happen sooner than later as there will be a good team in need of a right-handed bat.

Then Broussard will be recalled and Hafner will take over at DH for Burks.

At least, that's my prediction based upon some conversations with Tribe officials.

Where did Broussard get this reputation as good with the glove? When he was in the Reds' organization Tim Naehring said he was ready with the bat but not with the glove, and the independent scouting reports I read all said the same thing.

Good to see him having success, just wish it was in a Reds uniform.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and accuse Shapiro of playing 'options games.'

Between 5 players (Burks, Hafner, Vasquez, Shane Spencer and Karim Garcia), there are 4 spots at dh, 1b, lf, and rf.

That would be plenty of playing time for everybody if they kept both Broussard and Hafner in the bigs.

I know that they have options left, but I think it might hurt the psyche of one of these guys to have a .400 spring following a good year in the minors and then lose a roster spot to the likes of Karim Garcia and Shane Spencer.
    Stick to your guns.

I think Garcia is with the Yankees now. IIRC.

Turn Off Ads?