Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: BENder UPDATE v2.0!

They let a better first baseman than him go.....group what was his name? .....I think I recall him going to Japan, was it Clark or what?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"
    Originally posted by GAC
    I think the Broussard trade was one of the stupidest deals this FO has made in the last couple of years.

I have no idea what Bowden was thinking, unless he felt that Broussard was a 1Bman who would see very little playing time behind Casey & Dunn.

Ben's wrist injury set him back a little while in the minors, but I really like this kid! But it was this FO's ineptness that again came through for us!
    That's exactly what he was thinking, plus help in 2002 and someone with pop who can fill in a 1B, 3B or LF.

Here's the production, Branyan's been superior in nearly every category

Branyan as a Red: age = 27

263 AB's, 18 HRs, 45 RBI, 44BB, .243 BA, .355 OBP, .501 SLG, .856 OPS and 3 errors in the field

Bender as an Indian: age = 26

283 AB, 12 HR, 36 RBI, 22 BB, .261 BA, .332 OBP, .442 SLG, .774 OPS and 8 errors in the field

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    The age comparison is a good point. But the difference that I see is that Broussard was dominant at every level, when healthy, except the major leagues. Branyan has been given every chance to make adjustments in the major leagues and has failed to do so. He has the bat speed to put up Jim Thome type numbers, but he continues to put himself into 1-2 counts (instead of 2-0) counts all the time. Unless a Guillenesque anomoly occurs, this will never change.

It's possible that Broussard will never make necessary adjustments to be a "plus" hitting first baseman. But he's a somewhat unknown quantity, while Branyan is a "known." Unless something miraculously clicks for Branyan, what you see is what you get.
    Stick to your guns.

Originally posted by cincinnati chili
    [B
    Your second point I disagree with. Larry Anderson helped the Red Sox long ago, but it didn't mean it was right to trade Bagwell for him. I'm not saying Broussard is THAT good. But what you seem to be advocating is financing a home with a 158% interest rate. [/B]
    I agree w/ this. My point was that the goal of the trade was to help last year which IMO it did but that doesn't mean that it can't turn out to be a real bad trade. Because if Broussard is THAT good (which I don't think he is) then if will turn out to be a terrible trade even if Branyon had help the Reds make the play-offs last year. But that is the risk a team takes trading a minor leaguer and so far Bowden has never traded one that became a good major leaguer.

This one is for Oregon Ole Ben did not hit a HR last night, not even a double, only a single in 5 ABs and a walk. And that against Rob Bell of all the pitchers. As a rookie with 277 ABs, he does own a .784 OPS. Not much better than Casey's 752 OPS, but at a big savings. I am going to guess he fares better next year. Btw, a 5 tooler whom almost became a red, Alex Escobar, was called up to Cleveland the other day. Just so we know what we are missing, he was leading the IL in HRs -24 but he only managed 26 BB to go with his 133 Ks.

Btw, can we still complain about BB being traded since the man whom dealt him is gone? On the other hand, it was Lindner whom helped lead the Reds into the Casey contract.

Ben had two knocks today so I am obligated to report it here. Might as well finish the season out. With two more today, he has caught Casey at 12 for the year, but in 200 fewer ABs. Hafner, whom BB has split play with at 1B, hit his 11th (in ~200 ABs) though as a DH today. Not bad production out of 1B for two guys making the minimum.

Wedge though is against platoons and they are also trying Ludwick, righty, out at 1B too so BB is assured nothing for next year though they might use Hafner at DH.

"So Fla Red"

Re: BENder UPDATE v2.0!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Of course the people who were against the trade and like Broussard only bring it up when hiw numbers are good. Duh.

It's up to the people who supported the trade and think Broussard isn't very good to bring it up when he's struggling.

Since the other thread is closed after getting off track. I'm just fulfilling my responsiblity to bring up that Broussard is struggling and "player X" is doing ok...

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Since the other thread is closed after getting off track. I'm just fulfilling my responsiblity to bring up that Broussard is struggling and "player X" is doing ok...
    I like player X
    Go Gators!

where's that dead horse smiley?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?