Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BENder UPDATE v2.0!

Thanks for the article Riverfront. I read Pluto occassionally though I tend to check the Plain Dealer more often. The best read though for the Tribe is actually an amateur site called the Cleveland Indians Report. Pluto had a good article on Skinner and his wife battling cancer recently.

Pluto though seems to be misinformed about BB's defense. While he is better than Hafner and has improved his footwork this spring I hear, he is not a superb 1B as Pluto described him a couple weeks ago. The BB-Hafner part is just one part of a larger article that is sure to please ardent Tribe followers as it reports on how well the young players are performing this spring. Some of it has to do with a motivation to make the big leagues and impress but there is a lot of talent in their organization. Many Tribe fans are unhappy about losing Thome, Alomar etc, but their anger will turn to happiness in a couple seasons.

Chilli, you mean Lawton, not Vasquez right? Shapiro did make a mistake in signing Spencer for the right-handed OF role as that still left them without a backup CF meaning they will have to keep another OF like Magee leaving no room for two 1B since they will go with 12 pitchers (SPencer is the 1B backup). At the time, I wanted them to look at Ochoa for the RH OF and CF backup leaving a space for BB. I do not think Shapiro anticipated BB being so hot this spring. BB is taking flyballs in the OF voluntarily to further his case.

RF, Garcia was with the Yanks last year, but rejoined Cleveland mid-season.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't really follow the Indians, I just like Pluto's writing enough to subcribe to his Enewsletters. That's the only reason I saw that writeup.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bill
    Chilli, you mean Lawton, not Vasquez right?
    Actually, I meant BROUSSARD. Sorry. I don't count on Lawton being available to play
    Stick to your guns.

RF, I noticed Pluto has a book out now? Any good?

Too bad about not being a Tribe fan too. A Reds/Indians fan is a rare bird but growing up halfway between the two in the 70's, it was easy to love the big red machine and pull for the perennial underdog Indians.

By Bill:

A Reds/Indians fan is a rare bird......
    As Garfield would say, 'Hey, I resemble that remark!'

Rem

Hey Rem, I remember you wrote that the two Ohio teams were your childhood favorites. Just curious as to where you grew up?

Bill:

I grew up in Cleveland. Did a report on the Reds for a 4th grade class and got hooked on baseball at that end of the state, too. Moved to Cincinnati after collage and loved the time I spent living there (8 years).

Rem

Keep on Keepin' on!

BA-.407
    OBP-.515
    SLG-.963
    OPS-1.478

G-12
    AB-27
    R-9
    H-11
    TB-26
    2B-1
    3B-1
    HR-4
    RBI-10
    BB-6
    K-3

Ben's run into some bad luck in his contest with Hafner for the big league job. He will miss some games with a strained oblique muscle (rib cage). That might put him back enough to give Hafner the starting job and landing Ben in Buffalo.

Currently:

Hafner: .387/.806, 12-for-31, 3 HR, 4 2B
    Broussard: .407/.963, 11-for-27, 4 HR, 1 2B
    Last edited by Bill; 03-16-2003 at 07:44 PM.

Dang it! Sorry to hear that. I'm pulling for BB.

Rem

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    I really like Hafner, Ben, and Ellis Burks. I can't really cheer against any of these guys to fail and/or get hurt.
    Stick to your guns.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    I usually take pleasure in the Indians failing, but their underdog status this year has me watching them with interest. I always enjoy monitoring the progress of clubs in rebuilding mode.

Ben Broussard will begin the year on the DL. Travis Hafner will be the opening day first baseman for the Tribe

http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/...20030326235150

Originally posted by cincinnati chili
    I really like Hafner, Ben, and Ellis Burks. I can't really cheer against any of these guys to fail and/or get hurt.
    Casey Blake too since he is a native Iowan. He's an Indian from Indianola.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Here is a little more info. BTW, Blake has looked good all spring:

Ben Broussard was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 14. He hit off the tee yesterday, took some soft toss swings, and will start the season on a rehab assignment in Buffalo.

Turn Off Ads?