Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BENder UPDATE v2.0!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Ben's line tonight:

3 for 4, missed the cycle by a single (2b/3b/hr)

His competition is now playing in the minors. Let's see what happens.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by cincinnati chili
    Ben's line tonight:

3 for 4, missed the cycle by a single (2b/3b/hr)

He'll put up very solid numbers, at a low cost. That's what will happen if he's just plugged into the lineup and left alone. IMO

I know I read somewhere today that Hafner is going to stay in the minors and Bender is going to continue to play. Let me see if I can dig up the link.

Found it. On the AP:

News
    Cleveland activated first baseman Travis Hafner (toe) from the disabled list on Monday, but he will be hitting in Triple-A for the near future, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported. "Travis is healthy now, but we still want him to get back to where he needs to be offensively," said manager Eric Wedge. The move means that Ben Broussard will continue to hold down the Indians' first base job. "Ben deserves to be up here and Travis needs to be down there," Wedge added. "He needs more time."
    Last edited by letsgojunior; 05-27-2003 at 10:08 PM.

I knew we traded the wrong first baseman when they announced that trade last year.

I'm willing to suffer through another losing season if it means getting rid of putrid tag team of Bowden and Boone.

Not that I have much of a choice.
    THEY'RE AFTER ME LUCKY CHARMS!!!

Originally posted by luckster
    I knew we traded the wrong first baseman when they announced that trade last year.
    That's a bit premature to say. Broussard hasn't even broke out of his major league diapers yet. Last year, people complained about trading Konerko instead of Casey. No one's complaining this year are they? We can't judge a player over a few at bats, games or even one good year. Only time will tell...though, I think it's pretty much a given Casey will be a perennial .300 hitter.
    Last edited by BigRed75; 05-28-2003 at 12:06 AM.

Ben hit his 3rd HR tonight. The bit below is from today's Plain Dealer.

We've long been high on young Indians first baseman Ben Broussard, largely because one of baseball's best minds - former Benedictine High and major-league star Mike Easler - has been among his biggest boosters. Easler, who worked with Broussard in the Reds' organization last season, says Broussard has an advantage over many young power hitters because he hits with a disciplined, "inside-out" swing, which allows him to wait longer on nasty breaking pitches. "I'm telling you, Ben Broussard can hit major-league pitching, game in and game out," Easler says. So far, Broussard has done just that.

This was in BP the other day.

Equally disappointing was the decision to simply send Travis Hafner to Buffalo, awarding the job at first base to Ben Broussard for the time being on the basis of his hitting .243/.317/.378 during his couple of weeks up. That's silly, but no sillier than losing faith in Hafner because he was hitting .202/.280/.392, courtesy of an early April stretch where he drew two walks and made 22 outs in 24 plate appearances. After that godawful slump, Hafner hit more like Hafner, slugging over .500 from that point until he went on the DL. Small sample-size caveats apply, as always, but they cut both ways in this case, and it's silly to punish Hafner for something he did or didn't do six weeks ago. If he's going to Buffalo until he gets his power stroke back, that's defensible, but the silly public comment was an endorsement of Broussard's performance.

It's worth cutting Mark Shapiro some slack, since a GM basically has to keep his mouth moving to fulfill that part of his job description as talking head, and silly things are the inevitable result. Still, I'd like to see them turn back to Hafner as soon as he shows he's still Travis Hafner, which shouldn't take more than another week or two. Then, it's up to Broussard to have really done something to deserve to stick.

It appears BB is showing them. He is now up to a .935 OPS.

Originally posted by BigRed75
    That's a bit premature to say. Broussard hasn't even broke out of his major league diapers yet. Last year, people complained about trading Konerko instead of Casey. No one's complaining this year are they? We can't judge a player over a few at bats, games or even one good year. Only time will tell...though, I think it's pretty much a given Casey will be a perennial .300 hitter.
    It's not premature to say that at all. They had an option of using Casey or Broussard at first base and they made the wrong decision.

When you look at this team you have to take a player's salary into consideration. I'm not saying Ben Broussard will be a better player than Sean Casey throughout their careers(though I believe he will). I'm saying Ben Broussard is a far more valuable player at $303,000 than Sean Casey is at $5,600,000.

That's $5,297,000 that could have been spent better elsewhere.
    THEY'RE AFTER ME LUCKY CHARMS!!!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    .903 OPS in 69 plate appearances.
    Stick to your guns.

2-run HR tonight and a single.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Ben hit a 2-run HR tonight.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    93 ABs
    .290 .350 .527 .876

I expect more of the same.

GL

Giving good at-bats just like Easler promised. Imagine the Reds lineup with BB at 1B and with the money saved from Casey's salary, Todd Walker staying at 2B and leading off. It seems Bowden got taken by two of the games newest and youngest GMs. In fact, was that not little Theo's first deal?

*.786 OPS in 2003
    *.706 OPS for the month of June (including a 6:21 BB to K ratio in June) after his terrific re-introduction in May
    *.738 OPS in 258 career PAs in the majors (18 BB, 54 Ks)

Turn Off Ads?