Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Harang, Gomes, Bray and Spring Training

Harang, Gomes, Bray and Spring Training

I hardly ever start threads. I don't think I'm worthy most of the time, but a couple of things caught my eye today and thought I'd put it out there for discussion. If this is kind of stupid, just consider the source.

I know it's just spring training, but man am I enjoying the games that I can catch on MLBTV and other places. Looks like everyone is having fun and you get to see everyone's prospects. Good stuff.

I also have to remind myself it's just spring training and everyone is working toward opening day. I watched Aaron Harang today pitching against the White Sox. I really enjoyed the Hawk's PBP today and Harang's pitching. *That* was the Aaron Harang I remember. He allowed a home run and a couple of hits that the defense botched. He allowed 2 runs (only one earned) and looked sharp. I really hope he does well in San Diego and fails miserably against the Reds, but I'm rooting for him.

I am concerned about Jonny Gomes and Bill Bray. Gomes isn't even on the interstate and Bray is just allowing hit after hit. I've never been a Bray fan, and probably will never be. Maybe it's fallout from The Trade (although it looks like neither team got much and Gary Majewski is just a not so fond memory) or just that I don't think he's all that, but we need his lefty arm in the bullpen. I don't see it. Of course, Phillips is struggling also, so you have to hope that he'll heat up as the season goes along.

I fully expect to lose Johnny Cueto for a month or two and Edinson Volquez to be as inconsistent as ever, but the pitching depth is there. Lots of good arms are there. Lots of reasons to be optimistic. Ah, Spring. Love it! Can't wait for Opening Day, even if I have to watch in on television for the 10th consecutive season. That lottery thing is not working for me...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harang, Gomes, Bray and Spring Training

When I watch Bray, I completely understand why scouts are high on him. But when I see his results, I simply have to think, "Enough is enough. His stuff just doesn't play well at the Major League level." I'm not necessarily saying Bray has no hope of having a very good career, but I would totally be okay with trading him for whatever the Reds could get at this point.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    When I watch Bray, I completely understand why scouts are high on him. But when I see his results, I simply have to think, "Enough is enough. His stuff just doesn't play well at the Major League level." I'm not necessarily saying Bray has no hope of having a very good career, but I would totally be okay with trading him for whatever the Reds could get at this point.
    I agree. I've watched him a couple times this spring and he's looked great IMO. His stuff is right there, but goodness...the results sure aren't. Maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see, who knows? But in terms of results (and yesterday included), he's been a batting tee all spring. I don't think he's the "lock" that many here have said he is. Not when we have all the options that we do.

Sounds like Bray has been working on a new pitch/grip which may explain his struggles this spring. He looked good on TV Thursday against the Indians.

From Hal McCoy:

RELIEF PITCHER Bill Bray, who has more training room time than some of the trainers the last two years after Tommy John surgery, is working on a new pitch.

“He is working on a slider,” said Baker. “He was dissatisfied until yesterday with his breaking ball. He has been working on it big-time and threw some good ones.”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-19-2011 at 12:09 PM.

I don't understand. Hasn't Bray always been FB/SL/CU? If he wasn't trowing a slider before, what was it?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't understand. Hasn't Bray always been FB/SL/CU? If he wasn't trowing a slider before, what was it?
    Yeah, that confused me too since Bray has always had a slider, maybe he's just working on a different grip?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yeah, that confused me too since Bray has always had a slider, maybe he's just working on a different grip?
    When he came back last year, I saw him hang a couple sliders. He got away with it, but you could see that he didn't have the command of that pitch. Maybe he feels he can tighten it up some.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I've honestly never felt completely comfortable with Bray since his return after missing 2009. I feel like he's just getting by and the wheels will come completely off sooner rather than later.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I've honestly never felt completely comfortable with Bray since his return after missing 2009. I feel like he's just getting by and the wheels will come completely off sooner rather than later.
    I think that is a product of TJ surgery. You really aren't comfortable with a guy until the following season.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think that is a product of TJ surgery. You really aren't comfortable with a guy until the following season.
    Maybe your right. I guess I felt somewhat similar about Volquez but I suppose I'm more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Relievers tend to be expandable and other than a pretty good 2008 Bray has mostly been more about potential then results.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I never felt comfortable with him before he had surgery.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?