Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey

Homer Bailey

Gave up an Eric Miltonesque 5 H and 4 ER in 5.1 IP for Class A Bakersfield. To his credit, he did have 7 K and 0 BB.

In 8.2 innings for the actual Reds in spring training, he's given up 13 H and 5 er.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the rotation because Leake has given up 21 H in 13 innings while only striking out 3 (yikes), but is anyone worried?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey

I've always understood it's fairly common for big leaguers to take a beating when pitching against the lower levels minor leaguers.

Usually they're going up there hacking at everything so you can't set up pitches quite like you can in the bigs. I feel like the K/BB ratio is a much better indicator.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

its spring training so i am not worried. if i recall correctly Bronson got lit up one game last year. he replied that he threw almost all fastballs. why? because he wasn't trying to win a spring training game. he was simply building up his arm strength for the regular season. thats what he felt spring training was for, getting ready for when the games actually count. for guys who are already on the team i care very little about their spring training stats.

Spring training stats are rarely anything to get excited about one way or the other. Excuses/reasons like 'I'm working on location' get tossed around to explain them and half the time its true while the other half [see Harang, Aaron] are just covering the truth.

Over his first 14 innings he's given up 18 hits and 9 er it might be something that trends badly, but until then I won't worry much and neither should you.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Since you asked, I'm not worried.

In spring training, I really only worry about soreness, tightness, grimacing, noticeable limps (lisps not so much), or open wounds.

Command and normal movement are nice as the spring winds down and pitchers quit working on stuff in lieu of focusing more on performance but absent a significant loss of velocity, spring is for smelling the flowers not worrying over counting stats.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Not worried. Also, I must have misread the tweet from fay, though it said 0 ER. Need to check my eyesight I guess.

Not worried. Baker said Bailey was throwing the minor league game so he could try out a few new things. Looks like the experiment backfired, and now Bailey will get back to basics when pitching to the Big Boys.

If there were to be concern expressed based on spring results that concern would have to go almost all of the starters. Volky is behind and nuke lalooshing minor leaguers, cueto dealing with the forearm thing, leake and arroyo and bailey all been hit hard at times, really only wood has been consistently decent. My takeaway? It's spring in arizona and they will hopefully look more themselves when they come north. We also never know what they are working on in any given set of outings that may be more important than certain results. For instance, I thought I read that cincy was working with bailey on something today, dunno what it was.

My random thoughts anyway.
    Last edited by membengal; 03-18-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Not worried. Baker said Bailey was throwing the minor league game so he could try out a few new things. Looks like the experiment backfired, and now Bailey will get back to basics when pitching to the Big Boys.

7 Ks and 0 BBs. Not sure anything backfired. It is spring and the time to work on things.

Not concerned at all. Now if he would have walked a bunch of hitters to go along with no K's, maybe then I would have been slightly concerned, if that.

He threw strikes and came away healthy. All good. Hits come and go, especially with a class A defense behind you and facing a bunch of guys who are completely geared to face you.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm much more concerned when a Josias Manzanillo has a great spring (like he did for the Reds in 2003) and makes the team. When they landed in Cincinnati, Josias lost the smoke and mirrors and gave up more hits (and probably runs as I remember) than outs. He was so good in spring training and soooo bad once the season began.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Watched part of that game. Was surprised to see Bailey there (pitching to Corky). Saw him give up a homer. It was more of a long fly ball that was taken out with favorable wind as opposed to a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I'm much more concerned when a Josias Manzanillo has a great spring (like he did for the Reds in 2003) and makes the team. When they landed in Cincinnati, Josias lost the smoke and mirrors and gave up more hits (and probably runs as I remember) than outs. He was so good in spring training and soooo bad once the season began.
    He pitched ten innings for the Reds and had a K/9=10.13, a BB/9= 3.37 and a HR/9=5.91. Seven homers and 21 hits in 10 innings (59 TBF).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?