Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Discussions

Re: Political Discussions

Pedro and Sea Ray, please take this commentary private. I'd like to leave this thread for discussion about the original topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    he stated that we WILL NOT GET accurate information from normal news sources. Our best bet is to find accurate information from other sources.
    Does this sound like "information"?

Hysterical, sarcastic, and scientifically illiterate comments are hardly appropriate at time of major disaster. The enormous earthquake in Japan has likely taken many, many lives and destroyed a nuclear power plant facility consisting of multiple reactors. The extremely capable Japanese are working rapidly to address their severe problems. Some "meltdown" of the reactor cores has likely occurred, but the crucial containment vessels are performing admirably.

Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but that sounds like ol' fashioned editorializin'.

But then again, I haven't crossed over into the land where reporting is propaganda and propaganda is information. Yep, mermaids and unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    That is true. If your opinion isn't on the same side as the majority of the folks over there, you just get knocked down by the ever-popular 'points system.'
    So popular, I forget about it til you mentioned it. I went over to check mine: negative 100. To-the-right-of-Reagan GAC is negative 94.

Just a note, the "points system" on the Peanut Gallery board is cosmetic and really just a joke, the Admin of the board, Ochre, has a negative 65000 or so.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Just a note, the "points system" on the Peanut Gallery board is cosmetic and really just a joke, the Admin of the board, Ochre, has a negative 65000 or so.
    Yes, it's been an inside joke since we moved the "Last person" thread over there.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kingspoint
    he stated that we WILL NOT GET accurate information from normal news sources. Our best bet is to find accurate information from other sources.

Does this sound like "information"?

Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but that sounds like ol' fashioned editorializin'.

But then again, I haven't crossed over into the land where reporting is propaganda and propaganda is information. Yep, mermaids and unicorns.
    I really have no idea what you're trying to do here. It looks like you took a portion of a post from this thread (where I briefly surmised what a true expert said about news reporting and information of a nuclear nature) and are trying to imply that I wrote it at the thread on the Japan disaster.

Are you trying to say that the Redszone member who wrote it, Guacarock, is not qualified to speak on the issue of journalism reporting? Are you saying his being honored for an Associated Press Managing Editor's Award on science reporting focusing on nuclear-related topics, mostly bombs, but also energy generation, is not enough of a qualification to say what he said:
    ( http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=88023&page=4 )?

I don't understand your intention of posting what you posted, but I think that compared to Guararock, most of us are amateurs here (or anywhere) when it comes to putting thoughts on paper when compared to this person, someone whom I've never met or seen before. But, I know a very respected award when I see one, and that one he received is one that's very difficult to obtain and shouldn't be disrespected, especially by those of us who aren't in the journalism business.

As far as your other quote from the gentleman's post who offered the links to federal sites, praise to the japanese people, empathy over the disaster that has taken place, better reporting avenues for what was going on along with better explanations into the science and terms that were being heard at the time, along with a couple of words in response to what some poster at "oregonlive" had said (that's why I gave the source, so you, as a responsible reader, can use whenever you're curious about the "context" of something you see, and his "Hysterical, sarcastic, and scientifically illiterate comments are hardly appropriate at time of major disaster" comment was directed towards their posts, not anyone at redszone), along with countless links where you and I can help the Japanese people,....I really have no idea what you're attempting to say. If you find all of those links to be propaganda, then I just don't understand what world you're living in. To give to the Red Cross and the United States Agency for International Development ( http://www.usaid.gov/ ), two of the links on the site, is generally considered to be humanitarian gestures.

So, yes....that is considered good information to give to others.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-22-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I really have no idea what you're trying to do here. It looks like you took a portion of a post from this thread (where I briefly surmised what a true expert said about news reporting and information of a nuclear nature) and are trying to imply that I wrote it at the thread on the Japan disaster.

Are you trying to say that the Redszone member who wrote it, Guacarock, is not qualified to speak on the issue of journalism reporting? Are you saying his being honored for an Associated Press Managing Editor's Award on science reporting focusing on nuclear-related topics, mostly bombs, but also energy generation, is not enough of a qualification to say what he said:
    ( http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=88023&page=4 )?

I don't understand your intention of posting what you posted, but I think that compared to Guararock, most of us are amateurs here (or anywhere) when it comes to putting thoughts on paper when compared to this person, someone whom I've never met or seen before. But, I know a very respected award when I see one, and that one he received is one that's very difficult to obtain and shouldn't be disrespected, especially by those of us who aren't in the journalism business.

As far as your other quote from the gentleman's post who offered the links to federal sites, praise to the japanese people, empathy over the disaster that has taken place, better reporting avenues for what was going on along with better explanations into the science and terms that were being heard at the time, along with a couple of words in response to what some poster at "oregonlive" had said (that's why I gave the source, so you, as a responsible reader, can use whenever you're curious about the "context" of something you see, and his "Hysterical, sarcastic, and scientifically illiterate comments are hardly appropriate at time of major disaster" comment was directed towards their posts, not anyone at redszone), along with countless links where you and I can help the Japanese people,....I really have no idea what you're attempting to say. If you find all of those links to be propaganda, then I just don't understand what world you're living in. To give to the Red Cross and the United States Agency for International Development ( http://www.usaid.gov/ ), two of the links on the site, is generally considered to be humanitarian gestures.

So, yes....that is considered good information to give to others.
    And all Dom Hefner was saying, as I interpreted it, was that the media reporting was probably accurate and/or that the people in some of the links cited were underacting. Again, just the opposite of the opinion you state above.

All of this raises a question to me though. Why must all of this information be shared on a Reds message board that prohibits political discussions? It is obvious that nuclear power is insanely controversial, and that at the very least some of the authors that people linked to were pushing political agendas. There are literally thousands of places on the internet where this can be discussed, without burdening Mods who are mostly here to talk about Reds baseball which is, I think, supposed to be a distraction from real life.

Wow, Kingspoint, dissemble much? Did I mention the Red Cross? Did I mention Guacarock? No.

I don't care about any of that other stuff. You posted commentary and then claimed your were just "informing" people.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I always knew Ochre was a troublemaker.

You too Krono.

Quote Originally Posted by top6
    All of this raises a question to me though. Why must all of this information be shared on a Reds message board that prohibits political discussions? It is obvious that nuclear power is insanely controversial, and that at the very least some of the authors that people linked to were pushing political agendas. There are literally thousands of places on the internet where this can be discussed, without burdening Mods who are mostly here to talk about Reds baseball which is, I think, supposed to be a distraction from real life.
    That's the very same question I have and one that any people pro-politics on RedsZone have yet to adequately address.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    That's the very same question I have and one that any people pro-politics on RedsZone have yet to adequately address.
    I can't speak for KingsPoint but how can you discuss the Japanese situation and not talk about the nuclear threat? Seems to me it's inevitable.

In my opinion, discussing the dangers of this power plant is no more political than discussing the dangers of saccharine or drinking tap water.

In this case KP posted precious little opinion of his own and sought to inform what the dangers are including his own since he lives on the west coast.

Obviously the folks who want to talk Reds baseball and get away from real life will tend to hang out in forums other than the non baseball chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can't speak for KingsPoint but how can you discuss the Japanese situation and not talk about the nuclear threat? Seems to me it's inevitable.

In my opinion, discussing the dangers of this power plant is no more political than discussing the dangers of saccharine or drinking tap water.

In this case KP posted precious little opinion of his own and sought to inform what the dangers are including his own since he lives on the west coast.

Obviously the folks who want to talk Reds baseball and get away from real life will tend to hang out in forums other than the non baseball chatter.
    I don't mean to speak for Boss-Hog, but it seems that his question is more "why is Redszone the location of choice to discuss the Japan tsunamis?" and less "is the Japan situation/discussion political in nature?"
    Long live punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I don't mean to speak for Boss-Hog, but it seems that his question is more "why is Redszone the location of choice to discuss the Japan tsunamis?" and less "is the Japan situation/discussion political in nature?"
    That's my point as well. The problem stems from the original subject. Another example is the thread discussing a referendum on the ballot in SF. It all depends upon one's definition of political. IMO the Japan thread was not political in the least but the SF thread was very much so.

But why go to a Cincinnati Reds Baseball forum to discuss tsunamis, circumcision, or the economy?
    Long live punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    But why go to a Cincinnati Reds Baseball forum to discuss tsunamis, circumcision, or the economy?
    ...dunno

Why go to a Reds board to discuss Wonder Woman or American Idol?

With the workload of the MODs in mind, my suggestion would be to accept that a non sports chatter section will be everything under the sun and make it less restrictive rather than more so. If you're going to further limit subject matter then you'll only give MODs more to look out for and you'll end up with more locked threads. Put another way, most sites' non sports sections are not a burden on the MODs because they don't stretchout the definition of politics to extremes. They let a lot of that stuff go. The more limits you impose, the more work you make for the MODs

Turn Off Ads?