Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Political Discussions

Re: Political Discussions

Ohhh a chart.

This thread has now completed its journey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It happens enough to make the effort worth the noise?
    Nah, that's the bar you're setting, not me. I think the discourse is valuable because I think this was a neat environment for the conversation, for the reasons I laid out earlier. It's a unique setting to talk about politics and current events, most places are echo chambers, and the places that aren't are usually free for alls that devolve to lowest common denominator pretty quickly. I don't think that was true of RedsZone back in the day.

This isn't the hill I'm choosing to die on or anything, but I have experience moderating large communities (Red Reporter and others, the bulk of my day to day is with a site that receives 10 mil + page views a month) and it's only more work to allow controversial discussions if you let it be.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ohhh a chart.

This thread has now completed its journey
    For me, this is actually the kind of post that causes these discussions to break down.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I think it is time for a fishbone diagram. Let's get to the root cause of this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't even think changed minds is necessary for a productive discussion. Sometimes just learning a new fact is all it takes. I often acknowledge that by saying "you make a good point" or "I understand where you're coming from".
    I completely agree.

In fact, I like Redszone because there are so many diverse opinions here that I find myself learning something in nearly every thread. But I never expect to convince others that I'm right, or expect others to change my mind.

Discussions are to be enlightening, not won.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I've gotten PM's in the past when we had political discussion from people who had their minds changed by things I've posted. It happens.
    I think I was one of those people.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

All,

Please see this thread to read about a major change in our policy on political and religion-based topics. If you have any questions, please post them there.

I've gotten PM's in the past when we had political discussion from people who had their minds changed by things I've posted. It happens.

Just curious, but have you ever changed your mind because of someone of a more conservative point of view on here and told them so?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Just curious, but have you ever changed your mind because of someone of a more conservative point of view on here and told them so?
    No - but thats because conservatives are wrong
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I can't remember if anything posted ever changed my mind but no, I had never had a conversation like that. In fairness, I didn't mean to imply that it was a common thing that I received PM's like that. It happened twice, both times well after the related conversation after the person had time to think or events had transpired to make them see things differently, and it was a remarkable enough occurrence that I still remember it years later. But it did happen.

I can't remember if anything posted ever changed my mind but no, I had never had a conversation like that. In fairness, I didn't mean to imply that it was a common thing that I received PM's like that. It happened twice, both times well after the related conversation after the person had time to think or events had transpired to make them see things differently, and it was a remarkable enough occurrence that I still remember it years later. But it did happen.

So, if I understand you correctly, and certainly feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, after all the political and religious arguments that have occurred here over all these years, nothing any conservative ever said changed your mind about anything?

If that's the case, you might want to consider opening your mind a bit. In my opinion, prejudice is the most pure form of ignorance. My mind has been changed many times by conservatives and liberals alike. I relish the opportunity to test my beliefs and discuss things, even when I may not share the point of view of the people in the conversations.

And by prejudice, I mean "pre-judging". Now, perhaps you've heard all you need to on every topic out there and don't need to be bothered with the point of view of those who haven't attained your expansive life experience and knowledge of how the world works, I don't know.

Honestly, I'm not trying to provoke you. Just trying to get you to consider the possibility that your opinions might just not be the final end all and be all. I wonder, how much have you changed as a person in the past 5 years? The past 10? I've noticed that many young people think that where their sensibilities and opinions are right now in their life experience is done evolving and needs no more input from contrary opinions. Not saying this is you, but then again, maybe it is.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Oh no, I was just saying I really don't remember. I mean it's been 5-6 years since RedsZone had political discussion hasn't it?

There are opinions I share with the Tea Party of all people, so I'd like to think if a belief makes sense I'm open to it, but I'm sure I'm as flawed as anyone.

Frankly, I don't trust people who change their minds readily. Most of us arrive at our politics after many years. If you flip on a dime, you probably didn't think too hard about your previous position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Frankly, I don't trust people who change their minds readily. Most of us arrive at our politics after many years. If you flip on a dime, you probably didn't think too hard about your previous position.

By "readily" and "flip on a dime", I assume you mean "friviously", as in without much consideration.

In that context, I'd agree.

But unwillingness to listen to opposing viewpoints, and to modify your opinions, no matter how long standing, if convinced otherwise by an intelligent argument, that's ignorance in my opinion, regardless of which side of the aisle you fall politically.

But unwillingness to listen to opposing viewpoints, and to modify your opinions, no matter how long standing, if convinced otherwise by an intelligent argument, that's ignorance in my opinion
    I'd say it's human nature. Studies have shown that when most people face a fact that contradicts their cherished narrative, they throw out the fact and keep the narrative.

I would of thougth the last few years would've challenged thos who subscribe to a laissez-faire market model. But Ayn Rand immediately became a best seller. People are going to find any way they can to make the facts "fit" their thesis.

Turn Off Ads?