Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 169

Thread: Political Discussions

  1. #121
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,564

    Re: Political Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by frenetic wave View Post
    Like most political issues, I think there is a solution that exists where political discussion can be allowed with little moderation and have little negative effect and everyone can benefit, however, I believe it will take a lot of work, abstract thought/planning, and also a bit of agreement & faith from a large group of people with vastly different personalities, ideas and investment about the issue. So, with that said, I don't think this particular makeup of people who are both in charge & volunteering input can achieve the solution. Even if we try, eventually, we'll reach an intellectual wall where we discover some folks, who previously offered insightful reasons why political discussion is not ideal, reveal that they simply want political discussion banned no matter if there is a solution.

    That is a huge obstacle when you are dealing with finding solutions. If you find a solution that works for everyone, that means that there will inevitably be a group of people who were "wrong" about there being no solution. And when people feel like they're being labeled as "wrong", even if it's for the greater good of the main resolution, a lot of diplomacy and civility and logic can quickly dissipate, and it can turn into a very emotional and illogical argument that sabotages the goodwill and good work that has been built. Then everyone gets split into two camps- angry/emotional and tired/frustrated, and instead of the problems being blamed on angry people who want to be right, it gets labeled as "THIS is why politics ruin everything."
    Wow, that's so true. Related: My head just exploded.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #122
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,072
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Yes, but it is always referred to as "part of Redszone" and is even linked on the forums page.
    It's not part of Redszone nor have you ever heard me refer to it that way. It's linked on our forum home as a courtesy to those that wish to discuss topics not designed for Redszone.

  4. #123
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,072
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Where is the proof that the insults and rudeness were based on heated disagreements from the political threads? Does the same thing not happen just as easily in threads (damn near all of them anymore) where the discussion turns to old school vs. new school stats?
    Sava, I'm not going to look through threads from six plus years ago - I don't even know that we have posts dating that far back. You'll just have to take my word, as well as moderators' during that timeframe, that it was an issue.

  5. #124
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: Political Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    The issue is that people seem to start threads that are plainly, obviously (in my opinion) advancing a political argument-- for example, saying "the streetcar was a bad idea."
    I don't agree with your saying "the streetcar was a bad idea" is advancing a political argument because if it is then saying "it's a wonderful idea" would also be political. If you can't say either one then what's left to talk about?
    Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    For some reason, it seems to be the view of some that the thread doesn't become political until someone disagrees.
    I agree with your point here. I'll give you another compliment in that I love how you give examples to illustrate your point rather than making a general statement and running away.

  6. #125
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,929

    Re: Political Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Not correct. I took Pol Sci 101 also.
    Well, I am sure there is no universal consensus on this, but I know what I was taught, and I think it is accurate.

    I'm not saying it is the most defining difference between Liberal and Conservative, as those two go beyond politics. It's the most defining difference between Liberal, Conservative and Libertarian political philosophies.

    What do you think it is, if not what I said? Just curious.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  7. #126
    Something clever pahster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Political Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Well, I am sure there is no universal consensus on this, but I know what I was taught, and I think it is accurate.

    I'm not saying it is the most defining difference between Liberal and Conservative, as those two go beyond politics. It's the most defining difference between Liberal, Conservative and Libertarian political philosophies.

    What do you think it is, if not what I said? Just curious.
    I think it depends on what you mean by "individual lives." I'd also be cautious about talking about what liberals and conservatives want because there aren't many people in the U.S. who know what those terms mean.

  8. #127
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Political Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I think it depends on what you mean by "individual lives." I'd also be cautious about talking about what liberals and conservatives want because there aren't many people in the U.S. who know what those terms mean.
    I think you covered it. Getting into more would verge into political discussion as I would need to cite examples.

  9. #128
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,929

    Re: Political Discussions

    Thanks RBA and Phaster for the replies. I get your points.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  10. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,053

    Re: Political Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't agree with your saying "the streetcar was a bad idea" is advancing a political argument because if it is then saying "it's a wonderful idea" would also be political.
    Yes, saying "it's a wonderful idea" is political too. I think that's Top6's point. Banning political discussions means banning a lot of meaningful stuff.

    Nearly everything's political, we're political animals. I don't know why Americans fear that so much.

    But, if you want something not political, how about this: raisins suck! Always have, always will. And why must every oatmeal cookie contain them?

    Fun? Maybe. Interesting? Not really. How many responses are we up to on the "non-political Japanese tsunami thread"?
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  11. #130
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Political Discussions

    Kingspoint seems to be conflating political parties with politics itself, which is a bizarre take on things.

    Rojo is right that almost everything interesting in day to day news (outside of sports and some entertainment news) that has any meat on it is going to tie into politics, even if only tangentially. So you're neutering a ton of discussion by banning politics, and I think it's a good way to make the site bland.

    Also, raisins do suck. Why not just eat a grape?!? But so do oatmeal cookies.

    BOOM, now what Rojo? The heat on that topic just got turned to 11.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  12. #131
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: Political Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Kingspoint seems to be conflating political parties with politics itself, which is a bizarre take on things.

    Rojo is right that almost everything interesting in day to day news (outside of sports and some entertainment news) that has any meat on it is going to tie into politics, even if only tangentially. So you're neutering a ton of discussion by banning politics, and I think it's a good way to make the site bland.

    Also, raisins do suck. Why not just eat a grape?!? But so do oatmeal cookies.

    BOOM, now what Rojo? The heat on that topic just got turned to 11.
    What makes talk of raisins in oatmeal cookies "political"? You guys really lost me there

  13. #132
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Political Discussions

    What makes talk of raisins in oatmeal cookies "political"? You guys really lost me there
    It was an example of a non-political topic, the poster's point being (I think) that those are often pretty lame discussions.

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  14. #133
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,853

    Re: Political Discussions

    1) The reason why people like to discuss political things with people on this site is because this site has an awesome set of posters that I've never come close to seeing anywhere else. This is meant as a compliment to the board, not me trying to convince people that political discussion should be allowed.

    2) I'm reminded of the old defintion of pornography...you know it when you see it. You guys are a smart crew...we know when we are dropping a political bomb into a thread (or for that matter twisting what someone says into a political bomb). If there is any doubt, take it to the Peanut Gallery.

    * This comes from a non-Mod RZ freeloader so take it for what it's worth *

  15. #134
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: Political Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    It was an example of a non-political topic, the poster's point being (I think) that those are often pretty lame discussions.

    320
    There I agree. I posted something interesting in that forum about the Zoo going green and it's been viewed 100s of times but only one response because it's not a compelling subject to discuss. That was my point earlier when I said that eliminating all provocative subjects leaves us with threads like Wonder Woman, Real or Plastic.

  16. #135
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Political Discussions

    Why the hate for the Wonder Woman thread?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25