Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto - Time To Worry Yet?

Cueto - Time To Worry Yet?

Johnny Cueto only goes one inning today before being relieved by Jordan Smith. I got here late so no idea if he experienced more tightness. His inning went like this. Hoping to hear some sort of update.

HBP, Single, Single, Single, K, Sac Fly, Ground Out.

Just saw on ORG that Cueto did indeed experience more forearm tightness. Mike Leake come on down.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-19-2011 at 04:57 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto - Time To Worry Yet?

Really, really, really need Volquez and Homer to pitch well now. No room for them to be mediocre if they want to win the division.

This can still be a fantastic rotation even without Cueto. But Volquez and Homer need to settle in.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

J.Fay Twitter

Baker said it was cueto's biceps. "we shut him down before it got worse." not the elbow. #reds

Bryan Price on Cueto: "If this was the playoffs, he wouldn't have said anything. But this time of year, we're being ultra-cautious." #reds

Will probably be extra cautious with him now and he'll certainly start the season on the 15-day DL as he'll have to get healthy first and then work his way up to 5+ innings before they'll activate him.

1. Volquez
    2. Aroyo
    3. Wood
    4. Bailey
    5. Looks like it's Leake's by default, but a surprise could squeeze in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Will probably be extra cautious with him now and he'll certainly start the season on the 15-day DL as he'll have to get healthy first and then work his way up to 5+ innings before they'll activate him.

1. Volquez
    2. Aroyo
    3. Wood
    4. Bailey
    5. Looks like it's Leake's by default, but a surprise could squeeze in there.
    Once again Leake may escape going to the minors.

I was at the game today. I am not a doctor or a pitching coach but Cueto didn't look right. I could tell as he faced his first couple of batters. With him not pitching in 8 days I was expecting him to be pulled before the end of the first. I know it is a spring game so who cares, but i'm worried. I hope it isn't anything serious.

NL Central champs

From Fay:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...to-cincinnati/

Cueto says his elbow and shoulder both feel fine.

Cueto? Better add Volquez to the worry list. He hasn't done anything positive yet, other than finally getting his visa. IMO, he hasn't shown enough to be considered in the top five pitchers for this rotation. I guess we'll find out just how deep our pitching really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Cueto? Better add Volquez to the worry list. He hasn't done anything positive yet, other than finally getting his visa. IMO, he hasn't shown enough to be considered in the top five pitchers for this rotation. I guess we'll find out just how deep our pitching really is.
    2 1/3 innings today. Only one hit given up but five walks lead to five runs. I think that is going to be his major league modus operandi. Some great games and then some games where you get 2 1/3 innings. Hopefully, it is just because of his relative lack of work this spring. And hopefully you get a lot more of the former than the latter. Keep your fingers crossed.

No worries yet, but they could be on the horizon.

Read more here:
    http://tapthoseshinguards.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    2 1/3 innings today. Only one hit given up but five walks lead to five runs. I think that is going to be his major league modus operandi. Some great games and then some games where you get 2 1/3 innings. Hopefully, it is just because of his relative lack of work this spring. And hopefully you get a lot more of the former than the latter. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Agreed. Hopefully his inability to throw strikes is due to him being 10 days behind with all the Visa b.s.

NL Central champs

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-inflammation/

From Fay:

“Everything is structurally fine,” Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. “The only thing they found is mild inflammation in his shoulder. The recommendation of Dr. Kremchek is to shut him down until it subsides, then get him back on a throwing program.”

It's a good thing we have pitching depth.

Nothing hurt, our starting rotation is still stellar. I look for Wood & Bailey to have monster seasons.

I am concerned for the starting staff as a whole. Spring games or not, none of them look that good. Hope they do a great deal better in the regular season, otherwise this team will struggle to be .500.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I am concerned for the starting staff as a whole. Spring games or not, none of them look that good. Hope they do a great deal better in the regular season, otherwise this team will struggle to be .500.
    I'm concerned too. I know it's only Spring Training, but we're close to the regular season and these guys should be moving into form.

Volquez is a huge question mark at this point. Arroyo isn't healthy and hasn't been pitching. Cueto is mildly injured but not getting any work in. Leake got blown up today. That leaves Bailey and Wood.

I'm concerned.

Turn Off Ads?