18 27.69%
  • The NL Pennant

2 3.08%
  • Winning the World Series

2 3.08%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Define Success for 2011

Define Success for 2011

After the drought, last year's 91 wins and division title can't be viewed as anything other than a success. But now that its in the books and the team is clearly in contending mode, how would you define the mimimum for a successful season?

1. Contention with meaningful games right to the end?
    2. A Division Title or Wild Card and more post season baseball?
    3. Winning a play-off series?
    4. The NL Pennant?
    5. Winning the World Series?
    Last edited by mth123; 03-20-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Define Success for 2011

World Series for me.

Rolen and Phillips probably won't be here more than a couple more years. Votto might be out then as well. The Reds have lots of nice players at the lower levels and some decent role players at AAA, but these guys were All Stars in 2010 and there will be a drop-off when they go. I'd say the time is now.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

3 and 4

A successful season is for the team to take a step forward and at least get to the NLCS. A win there would be huge (win the series )

An average season is repeating last year, just making it too the playoffs would be nice, but nothing spectacular anymore.

A disappointing season would be not making the playoffs. With all of the hype going into this season (I don't know about you guys but I am about to pee myself) not making the post season would be bad.
    Last edited by The Voice of IH; 03-20-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I have expectations of this team, and do not want to see a repeat of the 1971 season.

Just like the early BRM, this group has many formidable weapons assembled. There are still a few missing pieces (TOR starter), and this is where Jock will earn his money. If he does, he will go down in Reds lore and history with Bob Howsam. His handicap is free agency, which Howsam mostly did not have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    3 and 4

A successful season is for the team to take a step forward and at least get to the NLCS. A win there would be huge (win the series )

An average season is repeating last year, just making it too the playoffs would be nice, but nothing spectacular anymore.

A disappointing season would be not making the playoffs. With all of the hype going into this season (I don't know about you guys but I am about to pee myself) not making the post season would be bad.
    Normally I'd agree with you and I'd probably still be ok with an NL Pennant, but this team just doesn't have time to gradually improve. Rolen's decline and Phillips contract say it won't be any better than now IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Normally I'd agree with you and I'd probably still be ok with an NL Pennant, but this team just doesn't have time to gradually improve. Rolen's decline and Phillips contract say it won't be any better than now IMO.
    I can see your point. But I can not agree that the Reds can not be successful if they do not win a ring. Especially one that truly did not come close the year before.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

As long as a team doesn't regress and occasionally improves on the previous year's success, I would consider it a success. The only exception is if they're world champions.

I'd like to see them step it up a notch by winning a playoff series. If they stay in the race throughout the year, I think ownership pulls the trigger for an impact player.

A lot of people seem to think that making the playoffs is success. I would like to hear more from those people. Though I can also see their point, I think I am aiming a little higher on this lol.

I chose the pennant, although I know how tough Philly will be. Still, it can be done. And after that, who knows? I remember '72 too well to think the best team always wins the Series.

Division championship, I'll take a wild card but we should win it outright. And actually competing in a playoff series this time around. I would like nothing more than a WS title, but once you get to the post-season it is anyone's game and we will be up again stiff competition. That is why I say a division crown and a tough playoff battle is a success. No deer in the headlights series like last year for me this time around.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Baby steps for me as long as its continuous progress:

2010- Division title
    2011- Win a playoff series
    2012- NL Pennant
    2013- World Series Champions

Would anyone be upset with that schedule?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not sure that I agree with your worries over the short-termness of their current window. In 3 years this team has the potential to be a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Baby steps for me as long as its continuous progress:

2010- Division title
    2011- Win a playoff series
    2012- NL Pennant
    2013- World Series Champions

Would anyone be upset with that schedule?
    That would be a nice schedule, but do you really think they'll improve as Rolen Ages, Phillips exits and the kids start to cost more and more probably forcing a deal or two for $ reasons? I think this team goes backwards a bit after 2012 in spite of Mesoraco making an impact behind the plate..

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm not sure that I agree with your worries over the short-termness of their current window. In 3 years this team has the potential to be a monster.
    Really? Who plays 2nd and who plays 3rd? And how does the team deal with Votto being up for $25 Million per year or so?

Turn Off Ads?