Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Will MLB.tv ever make your home team's games available for web viewing?

Will MLB.tv ever make your home team's games available for web viewing?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Re: Will MLB.tv ever make your home team's games available for web viewing?

Last year my family went to the Dayton Air Show and stayed at a hotel that did not have fox sports Ohio (I don't know why). I logged on to MLB.tv and I was still blacked out. really put a whole damper on the trip. (Although the show was pretty great)
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

In a word, no.

Those of us who live hundreds of miles from Cincinnati will continue to get more Reds games on MLB.TV than you local folks for the foreseeable future.

This article had the most detailed explanation of why that is that I've ever seen.

BTW, Fay retweeted a link to this blackout map this morning. It does a good job of answering the "where" question.

Ahh the blackout map, the single most ridiculous part of major league baseball.

I'm 400 miles from Cincy yet in their blackout area...
    Go Gators!

Hum. We looked at doing this at my old company. Interesting stuff.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...3&RS=7,486,943

Maybe if you have a satellite phone you can get around it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    In a word, no.

Those of us who live hundreds of miles from Cincinnati will continue to get more Reds games on MLB.TV than you local folks for the foreseeable future.

This article had the most detailed explanation of why that is that I've ever seen.

BTW, Fay retweeted a link to this blackout map this morning. It does a good job of answering the "where" question.
    It cracks me up that Northern Mississippi is considered part of the Reds territory. Personally, I think blackout restrictions should be limited to those areas within a 100 mile radius of the home team's stadium, if not done away with altogether. But as the article says, the problem lies with the local cable deals these teams have struck. When viewers are watching via computer or phone, those cable companies aren't getting people's eyes on the advertising they've sold for those games. I think the key is finding a way for the broadcasters to get their ad revenues for online viewers. I would think that MLBAM could either provide the feeds with the local ads and pass on the number of viewers to the cable companies to let them know how many people are watching online, but once you get into that, then the internet providers through which the games are being shown are going to want to get their cut of the ad revenues too. Another solution might be to consider internet broadcasts a separate feed. Pay the broadcaster a licensing fee and MLBAM sells its own advertising during the games, then divides up the revenues to each team, or uses that money as an incentive to local broadcasters and internet providers who get on board.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Do satellite phones still exist?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. in 20 years people will look back at that map and laugh really hard.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?