Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Billy G hired at Texas Tech ... Bruce Pearl to be fired this afternoon ...

Re: Billy G hired at Texas Tech ... Bruce Pearl to be fired this afternoon ...

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Sean Miller went from XU to Arizona at the beginning of a rebuilding process and damn near made the Final Four this season. Tom Crean went from the Final Four at Marquette to one of the biggest rebuilding jobs in the history of basketball at IU. Heck even Thad Matta went from XU to OSU during the period in which OSU faced some NCAA sanctions.

The issue necessarily isn't timing its more budget, salary, and facilities. XU may be a better program than UT but they don't have as much to offer. And when you go to a rebuilding job most of the time that is worked into your salary and expectations.

FWIW I don't think Mack leaves XU. I think he is in his destination job being from XU.
    I don't think that is an unfair point, though I'm not sure any of those situations are fair comparisons to this situation.

First and foremost, IU and Arizona are both better jobs than the one at Tennessee. Both programs are among the best in college basketball and have a far greater tradition than Tennessee. Additionally both programs are unquestionably the king of their athletic departments, unlike at UT where football and to a lesser extent women's basketball run the roost.

I think Thad Matta leaving XU for OSU is probably the best comparison, though I don't think Xavier was nearly as good of a program then as it is now.

Maybe I'm totally out of touch with reality but I just don't view UT as a plum job.

Xavier has become a really good program, they've got nice facilities and they've gotten to the point where they can compete for high level recruits with schools from the traditional power conferences. I just don't see the need for Mack to consider jumping ship any time a job comes open at a BCS school.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Sean Miller went from XU to Arizona at the beginning of a rebuilding process and damn near made the Final Four this season. Tom Crean went from the Final Four at Marquette to one of the biggest rebuilding jobs in the history of basketball at IU. Heck even Thad Matta went from XU to OSU during the period in which OSU faced some NCAA sanctions.

The issue necessarily isn't timing its more budget, salary, and facilities. XU may be a better program than UT but they don't have as much to offer. And when you go to a rebuilding job most of the time that is worked into your salary and expectations.

FWIW I don't think Mack leaves XU. I think he is in his destination job being from XU.
    I'm surprised Tennessee even wanted Chris Mack. As a UT fan I'm glad he turned them down. I'll take my chances with Cuonzo Martin. What was his Mom thinking with that name???

I agree with WMR. UT will not only take a step back. They'll be in the cellar for awhile. I really think they were going to stick it out with Pearl until he commited another violation this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I don't think that is an unfair point, though I'm not sure any of those situations are fair comparisons to this situation.

First and foremost, IU and Arizona are both better jobs than the one at Tennessee. Both programs are among the best in college basketball and have a far greater tradition than Tennessee. Additionally both programs are unquestionably the king of their athletic departments, unlike at UT where football and to a lesser extent women's basketball run the roost.

I think Thad Matta leaving XU for OSU is probably the best comparison, though I don't think Xavier was nearly as good of a program then as it is now.

Maybe I'm totally out of touch with reality but I just don't view UT as a plum job.

Xavier has become a really good program, they've got nice facilities and they've gotten to the point where they can compete for high level recruits with schools from the traditional power conferences. I just don't see the need for Mack to consider jumping ship any time a job comes open at a BCS school.
    Tennessee is a pretty good gig. Just look at the funds available to the program. It isn't necessarily about the program right now its where the program can go. Its how much money is devoted to recruiting, assistant coaches, and facilities.

IU and Arizona may be different animals but IU hasn't been the same since Knight left. The program was going downhill during the Mike Davis tenure and was an utter failure with Sampson. While I still consider them a blue blood program I would put them behind OSU, MSU, Wisconsin and maybe Prudue in the Big 10 in terms of a program. It doesn't mean they can climb back up just that they aren't what they used to be.

Arizona was a dicey situation because you were replacing Lute Olsen. You really didn't know what direction that program would go with his departure. Don't get me wrong both are historically better programs, but with that said that can change with time.

I'll be curious as to how many years Tennessee gave Martin. If you get enough years it can be a plum job. I thought Mack getting offered 8 was a lot. We'll see if Martin gets that many. My guess is Tenn decided that they had to do that in order to entice a top notch coach in light of the sanctions

In other news, it looks like Matt Painter could be headed to Missouri. Didn't see that one coming at all, although it would probably be a step up paywise from Purdue. Painter being a former Purdue player leaving would be kinda shocking.

I bet Cuonzo wishes he would have waited.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I cannot imagine Painter leaving Purdue for anywhere.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I cannot imagine Painter leaving Purdue for anywhere.
    He doesn't make as much money as you would think. Money talks. That's the only reason Missouri is in play.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

Back to the orginal topic, I'd like to wish Billy Clyde the best of luck.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Dayton is needing a new hoopmeister.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1HuGvjFZb
    Dayton job tempts Oakland basketball coach Greg Kampe

[QUOTE"The only place I'm leaving Oakland for is a place where I could win and win big. I'm talking national championships. I want to go to a place that has high expectations, a chance at getting to the Final Four for a shot at the national title. I think you could do that at Dayton."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110401/...ixzz1IJpdzajX][/QUOTE]

http://detroitnews.com/article/20110...ach-Greg-Kampe

Kampe's a good coach. He'd be a huge upgrade over Gregory.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Kampe's a good coach. He'd be a huge upgrade over Gregory.
    That's what I'm thinking. Kampe would be a nice hire for them. I'd hate to play against his teams. Always very physical and rugged.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Also heard some other names being thrown out for the UD job: Bruiser Flint, WoJo, Bennett (St. Mary's).
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Jeff Goodman of FOX Sports is reporting that Archie Miller, Sean's younger brother, will be the next head coach at Dayton. Miller, a former N.C. State player, is currently an assistant under his brother at Arizona. He's only 32-years old.

http://coachingnewsonline.com/index....id=1&Itemid=35

Wow.

If Dayton didn't at least interview Kampe, they dropped the ball.

Archie is supposed to be a rising star. So this has the potential to be a great hire for them. It's definitely risky, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Archie is supposed to be a rising star. So this has the potential to be a great hire for them. It's definitely risky, though.
    I really liked him as an NC State player and I hope that he succeeds. I didn't realize he has such an impressive resume.

http://m.daytondailynews.com/dayton/...l=true#display

Turn Off Ads?