Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Billy G hired at Texas Tech ... Bruce Pearl to be fired this afternoon ...

Re: Billy G hired at Texas Tech ... Bruce Pearl to be fired this afternoon ...

More coaching news.

After a long search to replace Jim Boylen, Utah has its man. New Jersey Nets assistant coach Larry Krystkowiak has been hired by the school. Krystkowiak is also the former head coach at Montana, from 2004-06.
    Isn't Utah joining the Pac-10 next year?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tubby Smith is a guy Missouri should not hire.

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1758

Ouch.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Tubby Smith is a guy Missouri should not hire.

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1758

Ouch.
    Looks like they hired Frank Haith from Miami instead:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6288358
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

espn4d Pat Forde
    Frank Haith. Nice man. Would not have hired him with Monopoly money. But we'll see.
    50 minutes ago

espn4d Pat Forde
    If Missouri has really hired Frank Haith, Mike Alden better have the Explanation of the Century.
    1 hour ago

SethDavisHoops Seth davis
    First Mike Alden flies to Florida and gets played by Matt Painter. Now he's going to introduce a coach who is 23 games under .500 in conf.

SethDavisHoops Seth davis
    Miami fans dreaming of Shaka Smart can forget it. VCU is better job than Miami. Richmond fans care. Miami fans barely turn out for the Heat.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Wonder what Seth Davis and Pat Forde think of Mark Gottfried to NC State?
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Now if only someone would hire Dickie V and Lou Holtz.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Wonder what Seth Davis and Pat Forde think of Mark Gottfried to NC State?
    Can't find anything from Davis or Forde, but found these gems:

DickieV Hoop thoughts -Mark Gottfried will get after it in recruiting but has a giant mt. to climb!
    "He can sell his program," said All-Star Sports recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons. "I think he's got a great eye for talent. He's very experienced, a very capable coach, he's a good teacher, he's a good motivator, and I think he's got the total package I would be looking for if I were hiring a head coach."

"He's got a really good feel for players and he's a really good recruiter and relates really well to people," Bilas said. "I think N.C. State fans are going to like him."

Rivals Recruiting Jerry Meyer on Gottfried Hire Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From a recruiting standpoint, what college has made the best hire so far this offseason?

Meyer: It is a hire that came out of left field, but N.C. State's new coach Mark Gottfried is one of the best recruiters in the business. He consistently recruited some of the top-ranked prospects in the country to Alabama. None of the other new hires blow me away as far as recruiting goes, but Gottfried can likely tap into his connections in the deep South and convince some top prospects to play for him in the ACC.

Tweet from Gregg Doyel:

Gottfried?! Courageous, outside-the-box hire by NC State. Unusual past, but he has the moxie to go right at K, Roy
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Miami (Fla) has hired Jim Larranaga of George Mason as head coach. That's a real shocker! I never thought Larranaga would leave George Mason. Also he's 61 and you would think he wouldn't want the pressure of ACC basketball and the recruiting that goes with it.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=850&sid=2355895
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Miami (Fla) has hired Jim Larranaga of George Mason as head coach. That's a real shocker! I never thought Larranaga would leave George Mason. Also he's 61 and you would think he wouldn't want the pressure of ACC basketball and the recruiting that goes with it.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=850&sid=2355895

Jeff Goodman of FOXSports.com tweeted, "Larranga wouldn't be my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or... well, you get it -- choice. Haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure he's in his 60's."

Sports Illustrated's Luke Winn tweeted, "Larranaga to Miami, if it happens, is 2011's equiv of (Oliver) Purnell to DePaul. Older coach takes on worse situation for more $$.

A bit harsh, don't you think?

We all know the man can coach. If he can recruit even remotely well, he'll do fine. At the very least, he should bring the program back to the point where Leonard Hamilton had it in the late 90's. Canes fans will take that in a heartbeat.

Jeff Goodman of FOXSports.com tweeted, "Larranga wouldn't be my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or... well, you get it -- choice. Haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure he's in his 60's."

Sports Illustrated's Luke Winn tweeted, "Larranaga to Miami, if it happens, is 2011's equiv of (Oliver) Purnell to DePaul. Older coach takes on worse situation for more $$.

A bit harsh, don't you think?

We all know the man can coach. If he can recruit even remotely well, he'll do fine. At the very least, he should bring the program back to the point where Leonard Hamilton had it in the late 90's. Canes fans will take that in a heartbeat.
    Yes. Both Canes fans will like this. He's a very good coach. But this is a job that screams for a young, energetic type if you can't get a "name" guy.

Actually, I think it's probably a death job and very few coaches could succeed there.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Yes. Both Canes fans will like this. He's a very good coach. But this is a job that screams for a young, energetic type if you can't get a "name" guy.

Actually, I think it's probably a death job and very few coaches could succeed there.
    Larranga will be gone in three years.

If I were making the call, I would have went with an all-in risk. Orlando Antigua, UK's assistant. He isn't a proven commodity, but he is hispanic and that would work in South Beach. It's not as sexy a pick as Frank Martin, but still better than Larranga.

I can't think of a thing about him that remotely reminds me of Leonard Hamilton. To compare those 2 kinda reminds me of those Miller Lite commercials involving another Hamilton, George, and Edgar Winter...

Miami's AD was apparently knocked unconscious five years ago and just woke up.

Hey now, the coach just wanted to take his 'talents to souf beach.' Wheres the harm?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Turn Off Ads?