Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Billy G hired at Texas Tech ... Bruce Pearl to be fired this afternoon ...

Re: Billy G hired at Texas Tech ... Bruce Pearl to be fired this afternoon ...

Great set of articles on Williams and Maryland, post-2002 National Championship.

Let's also not forget that Williams won an ACC title after these article were written.

Still, good reading.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2009021102913

When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Tubby!!

Tubby wanted to go to Maryland but they didn't offer... why he chose Highpoint. (playing days)

Tubby would actually have to recruit in the ACC tho or he would get buried...
    IIRC, the story went that Tubby had signed to play at Maryland but they had a coaching change. Lefty Driesell was hired and he didn't want him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Source: Sean Miller, Maryland to meet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6501211
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Source: Sean Miller, Maryland to meet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6501211
    I was kinda surprised at first, but reading more into it I guess there are some issues between Miller and the boosters in Tucson. Add in he is originally from the east coast and it makes it that much easier.

Wonder if Pastner will be considered for Arizona if Miller decides to bolt?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I was kinda surprised at first, but reading more into it I guess there are some issues between Miller and the boosters in Tucson. Add in he is originally from the east coast and it makes it that much easier.

Wonder if Pastner will be considered for Arizona if Miller decides to bolt?
    According to the ESPN article, Pastner is very much in play.

Memphis coach Josh Pastner, an Arizona alumnus and one-time assistant coach, would become one of the major candidates to replace Miller if this were to occur. But a source said Byrne would look at a national search for such a high-profile position
    Perusing the ESPN Arizona message boards, Pastner is clearly the preferred choice of AZ fans, even to the point of some suggesting that Pastner should have been hired ahead of Miller. They really want Pastner, believing that he will secure Miller's strong recruiting classes. I can't say that I disagree with them.

Anyway, should Miller go to MD and Pastner to AZ, is there a chance of Memphis thinking outside of the box and hiring Orlando Antiqua? I agree with you, WVRed, that Antiqua is a rising star in the coaching ranks and that he'd do well at Memphis.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I was out in Arizona in March and caught a couple NCAA tourney games at the McKale Center on U of A's campus. It's old. Well maintained and nice enough, but old and not sparkly and shiny at all. They do have a nice new practice facility across the way (largely paid for by funds donated by Richard Jefferson -- it's named after him), but the McKale Center itself is not so great. In fact, it struck me that they've been able to maintain a large amount of success playing in that place.

That's got to be the big bone of contention between Miller and U of A.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Another DC school is looking for a new head coach. George Washington University fired Karl Hobbs. GW just hired a new AD and apparently he wanted someone else to be mens basketeball coach. I'm not sure anyone can do any better than Hobbs did at GW. I walk up through the GW campus everyday to and from work. They have been doing a lot of work upgrading their basketball facilities. They also supposedly had a good recruiting class coming in next season. Looks like they will be starting over with someone else at the helm.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=454&sid=2358739
    Vermont's Mike Lonergan is the new GW coach. A solid hire IMO, but I agree with you that it's hard to top Karl Hobbs as GW coach.

According to the ESPN article, Pastner is very much in play.

Perusing the ESPN Arizona message boards, Pastner is clearly the preferred choice of AZ fans, even to the point of some suggesting that Pastner should have been hired ahead of Miller. They really want Pastner, believing that he will secure Miller's strong recruiting classes. I can't say that I disagree with them.

Anyway, should Miller go to MD and Pastner to AZ, is there a chance of Memphis thinking outside of the box and hiring Orlando Antiqua? I agree with you, WVRed, that Antiqua is a rising star in the coaching ranks and that he'd do well at Memphis.
    I said I thought Antigua would do well at Miami, given he is Cuban and his Hispanic ties would work well there.

I can't see Memphis going down the Cal route if they get burned again. My guess is if Pastner leaves Memphis will hire an up and coming head coach from somewhere or a top of the line assistant from somebody not named John Calipari.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Looks like Miller is staying put.

Brad Stevens is next per ESPN. If he rejects, then Mike Brey or Jay Wright.

I'd love to see Stevens in the ACC and he could compete against Roy and K.

Brad Stevens has spurned interest from Maryland, sources told FOXSports.com. Now it appears as though Mike Brey is next on the list.

Per Seth Davis tweets:

I said I'd be surprised if Sean Miller took the Maryland job. I'll be even more surprised if Mike Brey takes it. Stevens would be a shock.
    4 hours ago
    Tubby Smith is better possibility but that still won't be easy. Shaka and Mooney are more realistic but will prob will be none of the above.
    Just a hunch..The timing may be right for Jay Wright to move on to Maryland.

Brad Stevens has spurned interest from Maryland, sources told FOXSports.com. Now it appears as though Mike Brey is next on the list.

Per Seth Davis tweets:

Just a hunch..The timing may be right for Jay Wright to move on to Maryland.
    If Brey doesn't take it, they need to aim lower.

The only move I see Jay Wright ever making is for the Philadelphia 76ers if that job ever comes open. He seems thoroughly entrenched in Philadelphia.

According to Fox Sports’ Jeff Goodman, Notre Dame coach Mike Brey is not meeting with Terrapin athletics department officials today, or flying to College Park and is still expecting to sign an extension with Notre Dame.

The list of no-go coaches now include: Sean Miller (Arizona), Jay Wright (Villanova), Jamie Dixon (Pittsburgh), Brad Stevens (Butler) and Mike Brey (Notre Dame).

More names are likely to surface in the coming hours, but here are a few to keep an eye on (reported early on in the search): Mark Few (Gonzaga), Mark Turgeon (Texas A&M) and Tubby Smith (Minnesota).
    http://terrapintrail.com/sports/2011...rch-continues/

Gonzaga's Few could use the step up, and Maryland has almost always been supportive of their team. It'd be a good move, if Few thinks he could recruit the area. (Or has any contacts in that area of the country.)

Tubby would be... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Looks like Miller is staying put.

Brad Stevens is next per ESPN. If he rejects, then Mike Brey or Jay Wright.

I'd love to see Stevens in the ACC and he could compete against Roy and K.
    Lute Olsen has apparently taught Sean Miller well. How to use another schools opening to get yourself a raise. Olsen was a master of this.
    Maryland is going to their B list. It's going to be hard to find a really good coach this late in the year. Tubby Smith would be a disaster,IMO at Maryland.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Gonzaga's Few could use the step up, and Maryland has almost always been supportive of their team. It'd be a good move, if Few thinks he could recruit the area. (Or has any contacts in that area of the country.)

Tubby would be... interesting.
    Few I think is pretty happy at Gonzaga. IIRC, he has been recruited by a lot of schools in the Pac-10(12) but hasn't shown interest. Arizona and Oregon come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Lute Olsen has apparently taught Sean Miller well. How to use another schools opening to get yourself a raise. Olsen was a master of this.
    Maryland is going to their B list. It's going to be hard to find a really good coach this late in the year. Tubby Smith would be a disaster,IMO at Maryland.
    Agreed on Tubby. I think he might listen, but Minnesota fans are finding out what Kentucky fans already knew about Tubby. He has to recruit "his" type of players to be successful, ignores the AAU circuit, the game is starting to pass him by, and it is always his players fault because they don't execute.

Come to think of it, that sounds like Gary Williams. I'd pull for Tubby because he is a likable person and would be going against Ole Roy and Coach K twice a year, but I think he's a short term hire who would really set Maryland back.

Turn Off Ads?