Turn Off Ads?

Thread: More players cut today.

More players cut today.

The Reds lockers go in numerical order. Dave Sappelt is 77. After Monday’s cut, his locker was the only one occupied along a bank of 17 lockers.
    CUTS: The Reds cut eight played to get the roster to 35.

Gone are: Right-handers Carlos Fisher, Jerry Gil and Jordan Smith and left-hander Daniel Ray Herrera and infielders Yonder Alonso, Zack Cozart, Chris Negron and Todd Frazier.

A couple of items from John Fay's blog. Sappelt survives another cut.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    '19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Re: More players cut today.

Dude is on fire. It's surprising, but if you don't give a guy who's had a great spring a shot why are we keeping scores and stats?

I just don't think Sappelt will make it. It's not Dusty's thing. He deserves it, however.

Visit http://tapthoseshinguards.blogspot.com/ for my lineup preview!

if Sappelt does not make it, what signal does that send in future ST's to other players? I know they are grown men and not kids, but still if Sappelt gets sent down I am sure it would bum out future players who are having food springs...

"hey, bat over .500 and play great D, and we still might send you down if your not on the roster".....

I understand the business side of it, but i dont have to like it.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

What is it with this organization? I'm sitting here hoping they give Heisey a chance, and then along comes another outfielder who has me impressed. And then there's Cozart's impressive spring.

You just gotta love what the Reds farm system and drafting is doing. I remember when all this team seemed to do in spring training is sign retreads and projects. I remember when we were looking for bodies to fill positions.

It's not that way anymore.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

No message. Double post because the server was slow and having problems taking my first message.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    Dude is on fire. It's surprising, but if you don't give a guy who's had a great spring a shot why are we keeping scores and stats?
    Because you've got 40 man roster issues, and 25 man roster issues, and garanteed contracts to think about. And how a guys is going to develop playing part time in the bigs vs. every day in AAA.

Unfortunately it's not a video game and there are a lot of things that have to be taken into account, espeically when the guy who's on fire isn't yet on the 40 man roster.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to make the team, but if he does you have to send Heisy down sice both Lewis and Gomes have garanteed contracts, and you have to lose a man from the 40 man roster (in addition to the guy who needs to go to make room for Willis).
    Last edited by Girevik; 03-22-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    Sto Pro Veritate

What's the chance the Reds might eat Lewis' ( or someone else's ) contract? I realize this is a business but winning games is the ultimate prize. If Sappelt will help them win more games, then you gotta figure a way to keep him. But in the real world, Sappelt goes to L'ville for more seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    What's the chance the Reds might eat Lewis' ( or someone else's ) contract? I realize this is a business but winning games is the ultimate prize. If Sappelt will help them win more games, then you gotta figure a way to keep him. But in the real world, Sappelt goes to L'ville for more seasoning.
    The risk there is that you cut Lewis, or Gomes, or whomever loose and Sappelt shows he's not yet ready. Now you don't have the other guy to bring back up to takes Sappelt's place. Unfortunately even with the money out of the picture I don't see a perfect solution.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?