Gomes - LF
    Bruce - RF
    Hanigan - C
    Janish - SS
    Leake - P

We'll be facing lefty, Brett Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3/22/11 - A's @ Reds

There's something about the start of regularly scheduled mid-week spring training baseball on 700 that gets me juiced every season. I think its because its a sign that real are games are right around the corner.

also, that pretty much looks like an opening day lineup, save the pitcher. not the order I'd put 'em in, but that's a conversation well versed at this point.

Leake falls behind early & often (3 balls on 3 hitters), gives up a solo shot b/w 3 outs.

Stubbs Ks looking, BP & Votto fly out.

1-0 As.

2nd inning,

Leake went to 3-1 or 3-2 and gave up a single, then walked the next 2 batters. Bases loaded, nobody out. Not looking good for the designated #5.

Pitchers best friend to erase 2 runners, Mark sweeney scores, A's have a man on 3rd, 2 outs.

Leake picks up a strikeout to end the inning.
    2-0 As after 1.5 innings.
    Last edited by medford; 03-22-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Any more updates?

nothing good, but yes.

Solo homer to the cereal killer, Coco Crisp, bases loaded, at least 1 walk, maybe more leading to a 2 (or perhaps 3 run double into CF).

I've stopped paying much attention, but Leake has little, if any command, or he's afraid to throw anything over the plate. Not sure which, but either way its not good.

another double, plating 2 more runs.

7-0 As w/ a man on 2nd. Leake has been lifted.
    Last edited by medford; 03-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

It's 7-3 now after Joey hits a 2-run HR. I love this MLB At Bat 11 app for my phone!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Reds fighting back in the bottom of the 3rd.

Janish singles
    Christiani bunts him over
    Stubbs K
    BP singles - Janish scores
    Votto HR
    Rolen grounds out

7-3 A's

Mike Leake told Fay and co. that he felt good and was just off a "little bit". If so, I would hate to see off "a lot"...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Mike Leake told Fay and co. that he felt good and was just off a "little bit". If so, I would hate to see off "a lot"...
    He actually said he felt "too" good, which was why he was a little off.

It was reported that Leake was throwing a bit harder this year, which happens as young pitchers mature. For a guy who relies on movement, the extra MPH may be a detriment until he learns how to control it.

A reason why some time in the minors might have helped him. Oh well.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Turn Off Ads?