Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should be the 4th and 5th outfielders on the Reds?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Heisey

58 89.23%
  • Dave Sappelt

29 44.62%
  • Fred Lewis

25 38.46%
  • Jeremy Hermida

18 27.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last 2 Outfielders

NL Central champs

Last 2 Outfielders

Taken from ORG 5th outfielder poll assuming Stubbs, Gomes, and Bruce make the roster who do you think should make the roster between Hermida, Lewis, Heisey, and Sappelt? Select two players.
    Last edited by VottoFan54; 03-22-2011 at 06:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Last 2 Outfielders

If Sappelt isn't going to start up here, I want him playing every day in Louisville.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Wrong thread. Oops.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-22-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    If Sappelt isn't going to start up here, I want him playing every day in Louisville.
    Let him start in LF plzzzz

Heisey and Hermida. Lewis has shown me nothing in his past or present that says he deserves a roster spot over the tremendous Hermida upside,

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Heisey and Hermida. Lewis has shown me nothing in his past or present that says he deserves a roster spot over the tremendous Hermida upside,
    I'm not really sure about Hermida's tremendous upside. He is 27 yrs. old and has had one good season, with the last three being well below average. Hermida looks to be, at best, a serviceable backup at this point in his career.

In terms of the OF positions I believe Sappelt needs to play everyday, and the only way that happens is in AAA, which leaves Chris Heisey, Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida as the only candidates left. With regard to the 4th OF spot, Heisey is the obvious choice as he performed well last year at the plate and also showed tremendous defensive versatility, possessing the ability to play all 3 OF positions. The real battle is between Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida for the 5th OF spot, with my choice being Fred Lewis. Lewis has been far more consistent over his career, performing above replacement level in every year he's been in the majors. Also, Lewis, over his career, has been much better against RHP than has Hermida, which is, quite frankly, all that we need a 5th OF for. Defense is a wash between the two, with both being average defenders. In terms of speed, Lewis has the obvious advantage and could be called on to pinch run on days where Heisey is starting. It seems pretty clear cut to me, although Dusty always keeps us guessing.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I wasn't that excited about signing Lewis and Hermida anyway. On a good day, Lewis is average at best. Hermida has had one good season.

Why does this organization continue to look past guys like Heisey and Sappelt?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I voted Heisey and Lewis. Heisey was the only shoe-in for me, and I was tempted to make Sappelt the 5th OF but the main concern I have is that Sappelt wouldn't have many at-bats as a 5th outfielder. If Sappelt is as good as advertised, I don't want him getting rusty on the bench, I want him to be ready to start in 2012.

I put Lewis over Hermida because Lewis has put up slightly better numbers over the last 2 years. Lewis has 925 big league at-bats from the leadoff position compared to Hermida's 0. That may not mean much if Stubbs gets comfortable leading off, but it's nice insurance from your 5th OFer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I wasn't that excited about signing Lewis and Hermida anyway. On a good day, Lewis is average at best. Hermida has had one good season.

Dusty Baker

Quote Originally Posted by jt4prez View Post
    I'm not really sure about Hermida's tremendous upside. He is 27 yrs. old and has had one good season, with the last three being well below average. Hermida looks to be, at best, a serviceable backup at this point in his career.

In terms of the OF positions I believe Sappelt needs to play everyday, and the only way that happens is in AAA, which leaves Chris Heisey, Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida as the only candidates left. With regard to the 4th OF spot, Heisey is the obvious choice as he performed well last year at the plate and also showed tremendous defensive versatility, possessing the ability to play all 3 OF positions. The real battle is between Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida for the 5th OF spot, with my choice being Fred Lewis. Lewis has been far more consistent over his career, performing above replacement level in every year he's been in the majors. Also, Lewis, over his career, has been much better against RHP than has Hermida, which is, quite frankly, all that we need a 5th OF for. Defense is a wash between the two, with both being average defenders. In terms of speed, Lewis has the obvious advantage and could be called on to pinch run on days where Heisey is starting. It seems pretty clear cut to me, although Dusty always keeps us guessing.
    I'm only saying that when Hermida was coming up he was one of the top prospects in baseball. He never seemed to put it together in Florida, but a change of scenery and some hard work could change a lot of things. So I am talking about his prospected potential coming up - not what he did in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with you here. I agree that Hermida and Lewis are both are both just slightly above replacement level players, but I think that is just the point.

With the talent Sappelt has shown, it developmentally makes more sense to land him with an almost daily outing in the outfield. He just isn't going to get that on the squad yet. I don't think it's a slight to him, in fact quite the opposite.

Guys like Hermida and Lewis, unless they perform to prove otherwise, are stopgaps to allow young players to get regular practice until they can replace them. The organization has developed young talent pretty well lately. Also, Heisey got a good look last year and likely will again this year, so I really don't agree with you on him.

Dusty Baker likes Gomes way to much to let Sappelt get ample playing time, he needs to start in AAA. Heisey and Lewis were my choices, although I think Lewis and Hermida are average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    I'm only saying that when Hermida was coming up he was one of the top prospects in baseball. He never seemed to put it together in Florida, but a change of scenery and some hard work could change a lot of things. So I am talking about his prospected potential coming up - not what he did in the majors.
    Last year was the killer for him, and he didn't play in FL. He was in Boston and Oakland. That tells me it's more than a "change of scenery" with him. It tells me he just isn't an effective every day player.
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

I'm not a man of many words. Read my posts, and you'll see what I mean.

Some people are Optimists (They see the glass 1/2 full).
    Others are Pessimists (They see the glass 1/2 empty).
    Me, I'm a Realist. 1/2 empty IS 1/2 full.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I really feel that having Stubbs lead off is going to prove a disaster.

Lewis could have succeeded in that role, but for whatever reason, Baker doesn't want him there.

I think Heisey is a given, and I'd rather see Sappelt get regular PT in AAA than have to lose a guy for him to get spot duty in Cincy.

Too me it's a toss up between Hermidia and Lewis for the other spot. I think you'll likely lose the one you don't bring up, so I guess I'd go with whichever the organization has the best upside.

Although I am half afriad that Lewis and Hermidia will both make it because Heisey could be sent down....
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?