Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Kyle McCulloch from White Sox for Cash Considerations

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Reds Acquire Kyle McCulloch from White Sox for Cash Considerations

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...cculloch-.html
    The Reds acquired right-hander Kyle McCulloch from the White Sox for cash considerations, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America (on Twitter). The 2006 first rounder spent last year in the upper minors, where he posted a 5.77 ERA with 3.7 K/9 and 2.6 BB/9 as a swingman.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=mccull001kyl
    Should transactions like this stay in the minor league forum? I'm not sure, but some good major league-related discussion could come out of this, so I'll post it here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Acquire Kyle McCulloch from White Sox for Cash Considerations

Interesting? Not sure what Walt's hoping to accomplish with that move.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Finesse guy in college at Texas -- didn't post particularly sexy numbers and had a fastball that sat in the 88-90 range. His calling card was plus secondary offerings.

I went back and looked at his numbers in the minors, and they look exactly like you'd expect for a guy that didn't have tremendous stuff in college: http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=mccull001kyl

My guess is that some Reds scout is high on the kid and Walt decided to take a low-risk look at a former 1st rounder.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I could see taking a risk on a high upside guy, but I'm not really seeing the upside here. Whatever. Very low risk, so I can't be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I could see taking a risk on a high upside guy, but I'm not really seeing the upside here. Whatever. Very low risk, so I can't be upset.
    If I had to guess, I'd say his major league upside is Paul Wilson, and that's being really generous to Kyle.

Then again, they might just be looking for an organizational body to stick at AAA for all any of us know.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say his major league upside is Paul Wilson, and that's being really generous to Kyle.

Then again, they might just be looking for an organizational body to stick at AAA for all any of us know.
    They have enough pitching depth there though.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

My first thought was that maybe one of the Reds scouts thought he saw something, but now I'm thinking the Reds want a warm body for the end of spring training in order to keep the other pitchers fresh for when the regular season starts. I think he has a shot to be released in a month or so. Then again, maybe the Reds plan on helping him make the necessary adjustments to be a serviceable reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Finesse guy in college at Texas -- didn't post particularly sexy numbers and had a fastball that sat in the 88-90 range. His calling card was plus secondary offerings
    Sounds a lot like Mike Leake.

Rem

Or could be a prelude to another move where some of our pitching depth is being moved.

I just like to stir the pot.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

-The Insider-

Bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Or could be a prelude to another move where some of our pitching depth is being moved.

I just like to stir the pot.
    This move would make sense organizationally if Maloney or LeCure was going someplace else and the Reds didn't see anyone else they wanted to start at Louisville.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I was thinking on the way to work this morning, the Reds may make a move for a legitimate starter in the rotation soon. I'm not saying, by any means, this is the guy. Cueto is a question mark at this point. Personally, I hope this all works out with as little damage as possible regarding his situation but you really never know. Secondly, I don't believe Mike Leake has earned a spot in the rotation this spring and I believe management would rather he spend time in the minors to build up his endurance and get used to the work load. Long term, I think this would be a better option for him.
    There are existing guys in the organization that maybe could fill a role at the top as a starter now but with what appears to be a surplus at some minor league positions, why not look around and see what could be done out there?

Just thinking out loud...

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Sounds a lot like Mike Leake.

Rem
    Leake's numbers were pole dancing in college: 380 IP, HR/9=.57, K/9=8.42, BB/9=1.68, FIP=2.71....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

eh, its probably nothing (Famous last words )
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Former first rounder and the Reds may lose some depth with some guys with iffy health and others probably being exposed to waivers in a few days. If he was a first rounder, he must have something. Maybe somebody sees something they can work with.

I like moves like these.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?