Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66

Thread: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

  1. #1
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,648

    R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

    Looks like the Cincinnati Streetcar is finally getting sidetracked for good. Good riddance. This entire project was a tremendously silly idea from the start, and a distraction from honest discussion about the mass transit solutions that are desperately needed in this city if it's to survive the next 30 years -- namely, a regional light rail that connects the I-71 / I-75 / US-50 corridors to downtown.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Thread shutdown due to it turning political in 3...2...1...

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  4. #3
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,648

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Thread shutdown due to it turning political in 3...2...1...

    320
    Well, with an attitude like that it will be.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  5. #4
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,074

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Thread shutdown due to it turning political in 3...2...1...

    320
    Respectfully, comments like this aren't helpful.

  6. #5
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,015

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

    Looks like the Cincinnati Streetcar is finally getting sidetracked for good. Good riddance. This entire project was a tremendously silly idea from the start, and a distraction from honest discussion about the mass transit solutions that are desperately needed in this city if it's to survive the next 30 years -- namely, a regional light rail that connects the I-71 / I-75 / US-50 corridors to downtown.
    You have to get them to DT (and in the evening) before you can shuttle them around DT.

  7. #6
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,274

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Seemed a boutique item when meat and potatoes are needed.

    It's a neat idea, but should come after lots of other more critical transportation infrastructure components are built.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    End of the bench
    Posts
    753

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

    Looks like the Cincinnati Streetcar is finally getting sidetracked for good. Good riddance. This entire project was a tremendously silly idea from the start, and a distraction from honest discussion about the mass transit solutions that are desperately needed in this city if it's to survive the next 30 years -- namely, a regional light rail that connects the I-71 / I-75 / US-50 corridors to downtown.
    I'm curious why you included the US-50 corridor. Metro's 28 route from the East End to Milford only goes to Fairfax on the weekends. It seems like the demand isn't there.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

  9. #8
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,015

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I'm curious why you included the US-50 corridor. Metro's 28 route from the East End to Milford only goes to Fairfax on the weekends. It seems like the demand isn't there.
    Once you get to Fairfax you're in heaven, why would you want to go any further?

  10. #9
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,472

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Seemed a boutique item when meat and potatoes are needed.

    It's a neat idea, but should come after lots of other more critical transportation infrastructure components are built.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Without light rail to connect, the street car would face an uphill fight for ridership from the outset.

    One thing I miss about my time in Cleveland--scratch that, the only thing I miss about my time in Cleveland is their generally excellent rail system. I miss catching the train to Shaker Square or the ballpark, not to mention buying a $55 monthly pass that gave me unlimited transfers on both rail and bus lines. Getting to work was convenient and I loved being able to relax or do some last minute catching up on the train.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    End of the bench
    Posts
    753

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Once you get to Fairfax you're in heaven, why would you want to go any further?
    Yes, that Wendys is to die for.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

  12. #11
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,015

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Yes, that Wendys is to die for.
    I remember when it opened, and it was a BIG deal!!

  13. #12
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,648

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. Without light rail to connect, the street car would face an uphill fight for ridership from the outset.

    One thing I miss about my time in Cleveland--scratch that, the only thing I miss about my time in Cleveland is their generally excellent rail system. I miss catching the train to Shaker Square or the ballpark, not to mention buying a $55 monthly pass that gave me unlimited transfers on both rail and bus lines. Getting to work was convenient and I loved being able to relax or do some last minute catching up on the train.
    I used to take the DC Metro into Union Station every morning from West Falls Church, VA when I was in high school. I could sleep on the train, do work, or just listen to music (on my cassette tape Walkman -- to hell with you kids and your fancy iPods).

    I'd gladly swap my car ride into work every day if I could be on a train to downtown every morning. In fact, I'd be willing to increase the time I spend commuting from 25 minutes to 30-40 minutes if it meant I could just veg out on the train and not worry about driving.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  14. #13
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,648

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I'm curious why you included the US-50 corridor. Metro's 28 route from the East End to Milford only goes to Fairfax on the weekends. It seems like the demand isn't there.
    Buses and Trains are apples and oranges when it comes to ridership. I know tons of people in DC who took the Metro every day who would never think of setting foot on mass transit if it meant they'd have to be on a bus.

    It's 99% a perception issue -- I think buses are negatively associated as a transportation method for the poor while trains / subways are considered "more acceptable" for the middle class.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  15. #14
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    Respectfully, comments like this aren't helpful.
    Yeah, it was just meant as a joke... but you're right, my bad.

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  16. #15
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,396

    Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

    I prefer trains to buses. It's a much nicer ride, the stops are covered, often with benches. It's just a more "civilized" way to commute than buses. And I don't have anything against using buses at all- I commuted to work on the Metro in Cincinnati for years. It's not a perception I have, it's a real preference.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25