Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Looks like the Cincinnati Streetcar is finally getting sidetracked for good. Good riddance. This entire project was a tremendously silly idea from the start, and a distraction from honest discussion about the mass transit solutions that are desperately needed in this city if it's to survive the next 30 years -- namely, a regional light rail that connects the I-71 / I-75 / US-50 corridors to downtown.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

Thread shutdown due to it turning political in 3...2...1...

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post

Well, with an attitude like that it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post

Respectfully, comments like this aren't helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Looks like the Cincinnati Streetcar is finally getting sidetracked for good. Good riddance. This entire project was a tremendously silly idea from the start, and a distraction from honest discussion about the mass transit solutions that are desperately needed in this city if it's to survive the next 30 years -- namely, a regional light rail that connects the I-71 / I-75 / US-50 corridors to downtown.
    You have to get them to DT (and in the evening) before you can shuttle them around DT.

Seemed a boutique item when meat and potatoes are needed.

It's a neat idea, but should come after lots of other more critical transportation infrastructure components are built.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I'm curious why you included the US-50 corridor. Metro's 28 route from the East End to Milford only goes to Fairfax on the weekends. It seems like the demand isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I'm curious why you included the US-50 corridor. Metro's 28 route from the East End to Milford only goes to Fairfax on the weekends. It seems like the demand isn't there.
    Once you get to Fairfax you're in heaven, why would you want to go any further?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Seemed a boutique item when meat and potatoes are needed.

It's a neat idea, but should come after lots of other more critical transportation infrastructure components are built.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Without light rail to connect, the street car would face an uphill fight for ridership from the outset.

One thing I miss about my time in Cleveland--scratch that, the only thing I miss about my time in Cleveland is their generally excellent rail system. I miss catching the train to Shaker Square or the ballpark, not to mention buying a $55 monthly pass that gave me unlimited transfers on both rail and bus lines. Getting to work was convenient and I loved being able to relax or do some last minute catching up on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Once you get to Fairfax you're in heaven, why would you want to go any further?
    Yes, that Wendys is to die for.

Yes, that Wendys is to die for.
    I remember when it opened, and it was a BIG deal!!

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. Without light rail to connect, the street car would face an uphill fight for ridership from the outset.

One thing I miss about my time in Cleveland--scratch that, the only thing I miss about my time in Cleveland is their generally excellent rail system. I miss catching the train to Shaker Square or the ballpark, not to mention buying a $55 monthly pass that gave me unlimited transfers on both rail and bus lines. Getting to work was convenient and I loved being able to relax or do some last minute catching up on the train.
    I used to take the DC Metro into Union Station every morning from West Falls Church, VA when I was in high school. I could sleep on the train, do work, or just listen to music (on my cassette tape Walkman -- to hell with you kids and your fancy iPods).

I'd gladly swap my car ride into work every day if I could be on a train to downtown every morning. In fact, I'd be willing to increase the time I spend commuting from 25 minutes to 30-40 minutes if it meant I could just veg out on the train and not worry about driving.

Buses and Trains are apples and oranges when it comes to ridership. I know tons of people in DC who took the Metro every day who would never think of setting foot on mass transit if it meant they'd have to be on a bus.

It's 99% a perception issue -- I think buses are negatively associated as a transportation method for the poor while trains / subways are considered "more acceptable" for the middle class.

Respectfully, comments like this aren't helpful.
    Yeah, it was just meant as a joke... but you're right, my bad.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I prefer trains to buses. It's a much nicer ride, the stops are covered, often with benches. It's just a more "civilized" way to commute than buses. And I don't have anything against using buses at all- I commuted to work on the Metro in Cincinnati for years. It's not a perception I have, it's a real preference.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?