Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

Re: R.I.P: The Cincinnati Streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That says it all. In nice areas you don't notice the police presence.
    I guess you have never drove around Mariemont or Terrace Park for more than 15 minutes.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I guess you have never drove around Mariemont or Terrace Park for more than 15 minutes.
    I couldn't even tell you where Terrace Park is... but no, I haven't spent much time in Mariemont. It is 45 minutes from me and doesn't have something to offer that can't be found somewhere closer.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Sitting to issue citations on 50 doesn't really count.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm talking about in the Village's, drive around for 20 minutes and report back on the number of cops you see, that follow you, that stop if you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I've donated to Terrace Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I've donated to Terrace Park.
    I've worn their jewelry and been to a Middle School dance in the Police building

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The Governor's new Director of ODOT is a former asphalt and highway lobbyist. Essentially, anything on rails is screwed. 200-mph bullet trains could drop from the sky tomorrow free of charge and connect every Ohio city and town and the current administration would be against it.

Let's continue to widen highways though, that's a good investment. And for folks calling for a greater regional light rail plan? Remember MetroMoves in 2002? Yep, that was voted down by Hamilton County residents. Wonder if that vote would have been different if people didn't think gas would always be $1.25 gallon back then?
    At this point, I have little hope that this will change. I worked vigorously to defeat the atrociously written charter amendment meant to stop the streetcar (purposely written broadly and then lied about what it was meant to cover - and yes, it was written in such a way that any money spent on the zoo's train could have required a vote of the electorate).

Sadly we as a society refuse to recognize that there is ultimately a finite supply of oil regardless of how much that number is. Add in that we're funneling money so incredibly fast to many supplier nations that don't care for us in the least, and it's downright insane how we refuse to recognize it's in our national interest to detach ourselves from this addition to oil.

I've written tireless that my kids are among those who have made the exodus out of Cincinnati because of the lack of transportation options in this region (one's in DC, the other in Chicago). I ache at the failure of MetroMoves which would be ten years along and watch as we sink billions unquestioned in to short stretches of interstate highways just here in Cincinnati and it really is quite sad. Even sadder is we're working on racing downward here in Ohio at a pace that will be breathtaking when it's all said and done. What a shame because I love Ohio and I love Cincinnati, warts and all. But these days, we can't have a rational conversation about thinking bigger. Our ancestors who saw grand designs in the future must be rolling over in their graves.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'm talking about in the Village's, drive around for 20 minutes and report back on the number of cops you see, that follow you, that stop if you stop.
    Very, very true. I drive through both villages several times per week and see more police than residents.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    At this point, I have little hope that this will change. I worked vigorously to defeat the atrociously written charter amendment meant to stop the streetcar (purposely written broadly and then lied about what it was meant to cover - and yes, it was written in such a way that any money spent on the zoo's train could have required a vote of the electorate).

Sadly we as a society refuse to recognize that there is ultimately a finite supply of oil regardless of how much that number is. Add in that we're funneling money so incredibly fast to many supplier nations that don't care for us in the least, and it's downright insane how we refuse to recognize it's in our national interest to detach ourselves from this addition to oil.

I've written tireless that my kids are among those who have made the exodus out of Cincinnati because of the lack of transportation options in this region (one's in DC, the other in Chicago). I ache at the failure of MetroMoves which would be ten years along and watch as we sink billions unquestioned in to short stretches of interstate highways just here in Cincinnati and it really is quite sad. Even sadder is we're working on racing downward here in Ohio at a pace that will be breathtaking when it's all said and done. What a shame because I love Ohio and I love Cincinnati, warts and all. But these days, we can't have a rational conversation about thinking bigger. Our ancestors who saw grand designs in the future must be rolling over in their graves.
    Eloquently and passionately spoken, redsmetz.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

More good news for downtown. Looks like plans will be announced soon for a new nightclub/bar to open at the old Maisonette property on 6th St:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/developi...ming-downtown/

This is good to see that they're developing that property

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Back from the dead: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...EWS/302170045/

OVER-THE-RHINE - — With speeches, shovels and plenty of fanfare, Cincinnati leaders Friday began the long-awaited construction of the streetcar, the controversial project alternately seen as a bold path to a brighter future or a costly mistake that reflects failure to learn from the past.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, flanked by Mayor Mark Mallory and other top city officials, took part in Friday’s groundbreaking for the $110 million, 3.8-mile streetcar line, which initially will run from Downtown’s central riverfront to Over-the-Rhine.
    I gotta give credit to City Hall -- they've been pushing for this thing for years, in the face of harsh, well-organized opposition, and it's still getting built. I think it's a stupid idea still, but kudos to them for sticking to their guns I guess.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

To those of us who aren't at ground zero for this or have had a hard time following the bouncing ball, can you fill us in on some details such as:

1) How far south will it go? Will it run all the way to the Banks?

2) Will it go to UC?

3) How many riders a day will it need in order to not be a drain on city coffers?

4) I know it runs along Vine St but where? Will it cause the permanent closure of certain lanes?

5) Sure it survived two ballot issues but as I recall, those ballot issues didn't deal directly with this project. They were more or less general issues and voting down the streetcar would have meant voting down other projects as well. Is that correct?

I hope this works out but I see very little chance that it will

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    To those of us who aren't at ground zero for this or have had a hard time following the bouncing ball, can you fill us in on some details such as:

2) Will it go to UC?

3) How many riders a day will it need in order to not be a drain on city coffers?

4) I know it runs along Vine St but where? Will it cause the permanent closure of certain lanes?

5) Sure it survived two ballot issues but as I recall, those ballot issues didn't deal directly with this project. They were more or less general issues and voting down the streetcar would have meant voting down other projects as well. Is that correct?

SeaRay, these are all good questions & I have some answers for you, but no time to lay them out. I'll try to get to it today or tomorrow.

Here's some quick FAQ's that will answer some of your questions: http://www.protransit.com/FAQs/
    Last edited by redsmetz; 02-18-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

It will go all the way to the Banks on 2nd Street. When Kasich pulled state funding, the city had to revise their plan to only go as far south as 5th street at Fountain Square. Cincinnati then received a federal grant to allow them to return to the original plan on the southern end (the most recent Enquirer article I saw on this had an outdated route map). I do not know if the streetcar will run on the north or south side of 2nd. If it's on the north side, people will have to cross 2nd from GABP and the Banks to board.

2) Will it go to UC?
    Not for this phase, but the plans are still in place to make it up the hill to CUF. As when Ohio pulled its portion of funding and required the (no longer) reroute on the south end, this also resulted in the removal of the extension to CUF.

Not sure. No form of transportation is self-supporting and the streetcar likely will not be either. But it should help drive investment and property values in the immediate area that will help to offset operating costs.

Perhaps during construction it will. But once built, all the lanes of traffic in existence now will remain open to vehicle traffic. The only loss of road will be at the stops, and this is limited to curb parking. To allow for handicap access, the curbs will be built out to meet the streetcar's lane of traffic and will result in a loss of a handful or so parking spots.

Yes. Both ballots were targeted specifically at stopping the streetcar, and the second round even had "Streetcar" in its title. But in order to achieve its goal of prohibiting the streetcar, included language inclusive of all other forms of rail on public right-of-ways. If it didn't, the city simply could have called it something other than a streetcar and continued on its merry way.

There's risk with the project for sure. But streetcars have been quite successful nationwide and the positive momentum downtown will continue to increase the chances of its success.
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-18-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I was at the groundbreaking ceremony yesterday at Memorial Hall to celebrate a great day for Cincinnati. I'm very excited to see my favorite city begin this process and I have no doubt it will be great for downtown, The Banks, uptown and OTR.

Frankly, naysayers need to live in or spend considerable time in other cities where rail transit is not only a convenience, but a way of life. I lived in the Denver area for years and would routinely use the light rail to get to and from downtown/Coors Field/Avs games, etc. I have no doubt that this will be very popular for those around UC and uptown who want to shoot downtown without their cars.

Congratulations Cincinnati!
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 02-18-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Turn Off Ads?