Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In case you all missed it from the FSN broadcast today re: Grandal

In case you all missed it from the FSN broadcast today re: Grandal

Walt said when he was on air in the 5th that they would be starting Yasmani G. in Bakersfield, but that he expected that he would move quickly and be in AA in short order.

But, for now, Bakersfield. I know that's different than the prior thread on this, so thought I would highlight it for those interested.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In case you all missed it from the FSN broadcast today re: Grandal

Thanks for that. I didn't get a chance to see it.

-The Insider-

That pisses me off

I believe I read that Francisco will be getting some work in right field in minor league spring training games. Why right and not left?

-The Insider-

Because Fraizer/Alonso is there?

He's got a strong arm, an important RF asset. Also, if he's being looked at as a 5th outfielder for the main club, it expands his usefulness.

The the big club isn't looking for help in RF. If JF is going to get playing time in the outfield with the Reds, it is almost certainly going to be in LF against RHP.

And Juan's experience in LF is very limited. Just 5 games last year.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I believe I read that Francisco will be getting some work in right field in minor league spring training games. Why right and not left?
    The plan seems to be, from the discussion with Walt on the broadcast, for him to get some work in RF sometime in a game on the complex later TODAY. And the reason apparently is that they are looking at Francisco as possibly being the final guy to make the team instead of Hermida/Lewis and want to figure out if he could fill in at RF at some point if need be in addition to LF and of course 3b (and 1b). Per Walt and Dusty, he is very much in the running for the big club, and this would be a part of that.

It's a 162 game season. In all likelihood, Bruce is either gonna need rest or get injured at some point. If that's the case, should we expect Heisey to start regularly? His arm strength is unimpressive, he tends to struggle as a starter, and Francisco is much less of a drop-off in power.

Let's not forget this could also be part of a ploy trade. If the Reds don't view Francisco as the long-term answer at 3B or LF, greater versatility (or even the appearance of it) would increase his trade value.

Either way, I see no harm in giving him a slightly more difficult position to play in order to challenge his defense. It's just one spring training game, anyway.

I love the idea of Francisco making the team. Dusty himself has limited his expectations from Rolen to 120 games or so. The Reds need a guy with more upside than Cairo as the alternate at 3B. My problem is that the either/or here should be Cairo or Renteria without the Reds pushing both Lewis and Hermida aside.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Walt said when he was on air in the 5th that they would be starting Yasmani G. in Bakersfield, but that he expected that he would move quickly and be in AA in short order.

But, for now, Bakersfield. I know that's different than the prior thread on this, so thought I would highlight it for those interested.
    Thanks for this. I've been telling everybody that he would start at AA. Hope he gets here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    It's a 162 game season. In all likelihood, Bruce is either gonna need rest or get injured at some point. If that's the case, should we expect Heisey to start regularly? His arm strength is unimpressive, he tends to struggle as a starter, and Francisco is much less of a drop-off in power.

Let's not forget this could also be part of a ploy trade. If the Reds don't view Francisco as the long-term answer at 3B or LF, greater versatility (or even the appearance of it) would increase his trade value.

Either way, I see no harm in giving him a slightly more difficult position to play in order to challenge his defense. It's just one spring training game, anyway.
    +1.

If they're looking to deal the young slugger, this can't hurt. If they're looking to get him mlb ABs, it could also help. If he can play RF, he can generally play LF, especially in a park as symmetrical as the GABP.

Francisco, if he learns any plate discipline at all this year, is a really undervalued prospect on this site, IMO. Offensively, he's improved each year as he's gone up the ladder. His BB rate isn't good at all, but he's simply a free swinger. That power will play everywhere even with the likely low obp (310-330).

Defensively, word is that he's improved this offseason as well. His instincts at 3B are good, his arm is a cannon, even his footwork is solid. But he's lazy and out of shape.

That can be fixed.

If he can prove adequate in RF, LF, and at 1B as well (three positions to the correct side on the defensive spectrum), he's a nice, cheap power option for the big league team.

I'm not saying he's the natural heir to the cleanup spot, but how nice would it be to see a guy hitting seventh with a slugging north of 500?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

But he's lazy and out of shape.
    What? How do you know this?

Francisco had a leg injury which kept him out of action for a lot of the Dominican Winter League. The fact that he plays there as a regular every winter indicates that the guy is not exactly lazy. Seems like a cheap shot to me.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Sorry, I should clarify. I didn't mean to question his work ethic (which I know next to nothing about). I'm talking strictly about his glovework. He doesn't get down as far as he needs to on the ball or he drags his lead foot behind his arm. So, in baseball parliance, he's lazy defensively.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Francisco, if he learns any plate discipline at all this year, is a really undervalued prospect on this site, IMO.
    If Francisco learned some plate discipline, he wouldn't be undervalued because people would start to have more faith in him.

Turn Off Ads?