Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bronson Arroyo Diagnosed With Mononucleosis

Re: Bronson Arroyo Diagnosed With Mononucleosis

Bronson's been burning the candles at both ends for his entire career.

They had to force him to stop playing the guitar because it effected his pitching.

Now doctors are telling him to stop doing other things because it's effecting his pitching.

It'd be nice to see Bronson try to dedicate one season to playing baseball for the Cincinnati REDS and not do all of the extra-curricular activities he's always done.

More dedication to the REDS, Bronson Arroyo, and less dedication to your social activities. It's just eight months (counting ST). That gives you four months to party your head off.

How about a little commitment there, buddy. You might actually get an ERA below 3.84 for a second time in your life and win 20 games. These prima-donna athletes kill me. It's not enough that they get paid $12M per season, but they need to have everything else, too, instead of giving the team that pays them the $12M a season of dedication.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

They had to force him to stop playing the guitar because it effected his pitching.

Now doctors are telling him to stop doing other things because it's effecting his pitching.

It'd be nice to see Bronson try to dedicate one season to playing baseball for the Cincinnati REDS and not do all of the extra-curricular activities he's always done.

More dedication to the REDS, Bronson Arroyo, and less dedication to your social activities. It's just eight months (counting ST). That gives you four months to party your head off.

How about a little commitment there, buddy. You might actually get an ERA below 3.84 for a second time in your life and win 20 games. These prima-donna athletes kill me. It's not enough that they get paid $12M per season, but they need to have everything else, too, instead of giving the team that pays them the $12M a season of dedication.
    Let's calm down for a second here...

Arroyo has been the workhorse of the Reds for many seasons. Almost never misses a game. Doesn't plan to here, even for a sickness that would leave most on the couch. These "other things" you speak of are pitching for the Reds when the entire rest of the pitching staff, save Wood, are either injured or struggling.

You have every right to hate his lifestyle, but I don't see how that applies here.

What exactly are these things he's been doing that the doctors told him to stop?

Ripping on a guy who's pitched more innings than almost anyone in baseball over the last several years isn't going to make you sound very intelligent when you question his dedication.

There are also very few veteran pitchers who have more wins/$mil spent than BA.

Nerdvana Annihilation

prob got it from a stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by zacharync View Post
    Has anyone here had mono before? If so, what is Arroyo looking at in terms of length of illness/fatigue?
    Yup, this could wipe out much of the season for him, totally drains you of any energy/strength. I have known people it effected only a couple weeks, and some who had a few months before getting anything back.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I work in the industry, see Arroyo out a lot (as well as many other Reds players) and have never seen him drunk once. The guy on last year's team who partied more than anyone was Arthur Rhodes and he was 42 and an All Star. He also pitched more than once every 5 days. I'm not saying it was necessarily smart, just that there isn't necessarily a correlation between social life and performance.

Lots of athletes also play instruments. Barry Zito is an avid guitarist. It's called a hobby. Not everyone gets carpal tunnel from playing guitar, but when Bronson did and it started to affect his baseball, he gave up the guitar--of his own volition as far as I know, but hell, maybe somebody had to force him.

What things are these?

Arroyo is tied with Dan Haren for the most starts in MLB since 2006 with 169.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

OGB, dont let details get in the way of a good useless made up rant.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

NL Central champs

Arroyo's line from today:

6 1/3 IP 6 H 2 ER 1 BB 3 K

That's an awesome performance considering the circumstances.

It is good news. Seems like he will be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I work in the industry, see Arroyo out a lot (as well as many other Reds players) and have never seen him drunk once. The guy on last year's team who partied more than anyone was Arthur Rhodes and he was 42 and an All Star. He also pitched more than once every 5 days. I'm not saying it was necessarily smart, just that there isn't necessarily a correlation between social life and performance.

Lots of athletes also play instruments. Barry Zito is an avid guitarist. It's called a hobby. Not everyone gets carpal tunnel from playing guitar, but when Bronson did and it started to affect his baseball, he gave up the guitar--of his own volition as far as I know, but hell, maybe somebody had to force him.

What things are these?

Arroyo is tied with Dan Haren for the most starts in MLB since 2006 with 169.
    Never said anything about drinking (or any other type of substance), now did I? I assumed that he wasn't drinking, and that he just stays up too late and doesn't get enough sleep (that's the only way one can get mono).

I assumed that he wasn't drinking, and that he just stays up too late and doesn't get enough sleep (that's the only way one can get mono).
    What?? Mono is a virus. You don't catch a virus by staying up late.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    What?? Mono is a virus. You don't catch a virus by staying up late.
    The virus mono is not contagious. You have to have weakened your immune system by not getting enough sleep in order for the virus to have any effect on you. Bronson's significant other doesn't have to worry about catching it unlike the virus you're trying to make it out to be, like a flu or something.

You get mono from burning the candle at both ends.

The virus mono is not contagious. You have to have weakened your immune system by not getting enough sleep in order for the virus to have any effect on you. Bronson's significant other doesn't have to worry about catching it unlike the virus you're trying to make it out to be, like a flu or something.

You get mono from burning the candle at both ends.
    You're correct in that the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV, causative agent of mono) isn't very contagious, but that doesn't mean you have to be immunodeficient to contract it. It is not considered an opportunistic infection (an infection that usually does not cause disease in healthy individuals). HIV is a similar virus to EBV. Both require larger volumes or repeated exposure to initiate infection, but can absolutely infect a healthy individual.

That being said, someone who is immunodeficient is more likely to contract any virus, including EBV. Unlike a true opportunistic infection, however, immunodeficiency is not necessary to become infected with EBV.

I have to think that's an old wives tale, like you can catch a cold from going outside in the rain. I've done some Googling on it since Bronson came down with it and I haven't found anywhere that says that.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?