Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will be the LF over the next four or five seasons?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • David Sappelt

24 48.00%
  • Yonder Alonso

10 20.00%
  • Juan Francisco

1 2.00%
  • Chris Heisey

7 14.00%
  • Todd Frazier

2 4.00%
  • Other (Platoon? acquisition? surprise?)

6 12.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LF of the future

Re: LF of the future

Good job on the triple post. That's difficult to pull off.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I went with Heisey. I think he's got a jump in performance in him yet. And I already know the power is there. I'd just like to see him get more ABs. I like Sappelt a lot but he won't have the power of a modern LF. I might rate him over Stubbs in CF though.

I love what I've seen with Sappelt and I think both he and Heisey could be starters. But I don't think our long term LF is current in the picture.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I love what I've seen with Sappelt and I think both he and Heisey could be starters. But I don't think our long term LF is current in the picture.
    What do you think of Todd Frazier? I'd like to see him as Rolen's heir apparent, too, but defensively, he's better in left field than at third base if you ask me. And further down the line, what do you think of Juan Duran?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What do you think of Todd Frazier? I'd like to see him as Rolen's heir apparent, too, but defensively, he's better in left field than at third base if you ask me. And further down the line, what do you think of Juan Duran?
    I'm not convinced that Frazier's bat is all that great and I don't know much about his OF defense. Looks like more like a utility type guy to me, a Mark DeRosa type.

For guys in the lower minors, I think it's silly to project any of them on to the major league roster. It's like projecting a 4th grader to get in to Harvard. Sure, you can identify the smart ones, but there are a bunch of hurdles of various kinds between here and there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This is Mark DeRosa in his prime: .291/.368/.453/.820
    That's not exactly a superstar, but I'd be happy with that in left field if it's combined with good defense, which Frazier provides.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think Francisco should be planted at third base at Louisville, told to work on his defense and taking pitches. He could be the heir apparent to Rolen if he improved those aspects of his game. I don't see him in LF at all.

Alonso's only ticket to the bigs is to hit. If he tears it up at Louisville, they will find a position for him and live with his defensive struggles. Personally, I'm not that high on the guy. I'm not crazy about defensive liability's.

Frazier? Hmmm. Had a hot season, got his name mentioned as a future major leaguer and hasn't shown much since. I'm in wait and see mode with him.

Sappelt flew through the minors. Always a good sign. How long has this team needed a leadoff hitter? Send him down and tell him to work on his OBP and stealing bases. If he does well, bring him up eventually this season and give him the job to lose. We don't have anybody else suited primarily for that role.

Heisey is my guy. But I feel the Reds are keeping him on the back burner for some weird reason.

Mesoraco and Cozart's spring training really impressed me. Triple A is going to be REALLY interesting this year.

Probably need to start following double and triple A starting pitching, with the way things are going with the major league club.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Triple A is going to be REALLY interesting this year.
    Yep. And we said that last year. The Bats proceeded to start the season by falling on their faces. But we did see all that talent come together for a hell of a stretch run for the division championship.

This season I'm very much not confident of pitching at Louisville. But offensively, the Bats should be very strong

This season I'm very much not confident of pitching at Louisville. But offensively, the Bats should be very strong
    Yeah. I'm hoping Scottie Carroll continues to ride his solid spring training showing into the regular season. Could be a sleeper out of the rotation.

I am not sold on Francisco as a major league player. I don't think he ever becomes consistent enough at the plate to warrant an every day job. At this point I would use him as a trading piece.

I tend to think that the current LF vacancy is filled from the outside. Sappelt has the eye of the organization and fans because of a hot spring but Im not ready to hitch my wagon to him as the incumbent. At some point this FO needs to make a splash and get someone to fill that position.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I went with Heisey. I think he's got a jump in performance in him yet. And I already know the power is there. I'd just like to see him get more ABs. I like Sappelt a lot but he won't have the power of a modern LF. I might rate him over Stubbs in CF though.
    I like Heisey and hope he straightens himself out because he brings alot to the table.

But this bolded part always gets my ire up, not to be disrespectful to you but whomever started this whole idea of a player having to stack up to some lame standard to play a position is ludicrous. It's a team sport and this team has plenty of pop without LF, and that's even with the SS & C positions being a bit light. What it lacks as a unit is (as always) usable on base percentage. Sappelt has a really good chance to provide that right now and in the near future (where it'll be every bit as important if not moreso). The Reds had a NL leading 188 HR's last season and I believe the only guys on the team who got in the neighborhood of what they are capable of is Votto, Rolen & Gomes. I don't see Votto falling off much, Rolen could (say by 8, a reasonable #), Gomes (could by 12 if he was just a backup). So let's say 5 for Votto, that's 25. I think Stubbs, Bruce and Phillips could make that up and then anything Sapp brings is gravy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    What it lacks as a unit is (as always) usable on base percentage. Sappelt has a really good chance to provide that right now and in the near future (where it'll be every bit as important if not moreso). The Reds had a NL leading 188 HR's last season and I believe the only guys on the team who got in the neighborhood of what they are capable of is Votto, Rolen & Gomes. I don't see Votto falling off much, Rolen could (say by 8, a reasonable #), Gomes (could by 12 if he was just a backup). So let's say 5 for Votto, that's 25. I think Stubbs, Bruce and Phillips could make that up and then anything Sapp brings is gravy.
    The Reds were 5th in MLB in OBP last year, 2nd in the NL by one point. Why do you think they lack OBP "as a unit"?

But this bolded part always gets my ire up, not to be disrespectful to you but whomever started this whole idea of a player having to stack up to some lame standard to play a position is ludicrous. It's a team sport and this team has plenty of pop without LF, and that's even with the SS & C positions being a bit light. What it lacks as a unit is (as always) usable on base percentage. Sappelt has a really good chance to provide that right now and in the near future (where it'll be every bit as important if not moreso). The Reds had a NL leading 188 HR's last season and I believe the only guys on the team who got in the neighborhood of what they are capable of is Votto, Rolen & Gomes. I don't see Votto falling off much, Rolen could (say by 8, a reasonable #), Gomes (could by 12 if he was just a backup). So let's say 5 for Votto, that's 25. I think Stubbs, Bruce and Phillips could make that up and then anything Sapp brings is gravy.
    Excellent post. The offense as a whole is what matters, not where it comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    But this bolded part always gets my ire up, not to be disrespectful to you but whomever started this whole idea of a player having to stack up to some lame standard to play a position is ludicrous.
    Believe me, I agree with you. But it doesn't seem like the Reds do.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Excellent post. The offense as a whole is what matters, not where it comes from.
    True, but we are discussing who should play left field. It doesn't make sense to say that since our other bats are good we don't want or need good production from left field. We shouldn't accept mediocre production in left field just because the rest of the offense is good -- it could always be better.

Turn Off Ads?