Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will be the LF over the next four or five seasons?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • David Sappelt

24 48.00%
  • Yonder Alonso

10 20.00%
  • Juan Francisco

1 2.00%
  • Chris Heisey

7 14.00%
  • Todd Frazier

2 4.00%
  • Other (Platoon? acquisition? surprise?)

6 12.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LF of the future

LF of the future

With Sappelt's coming out party, attempts to get Alonso and Francisco time in LF, Todd Frazier's conversion, a potential late blooming from a failed prospect in Jeremy Hermida and Chris Heisey looking like a possibility down the line, the Reds' OF situation could get pretty crowded as soon as later this year. I have to think that Bruce and Stubbs are going to man a couple of those OF spots for a while leaving just one spot for these guys when they arrive. Guys like Frazier and to a lesser extent Francisco could probably carve out a supersub role, but the Reds will need to decide to move one or two of these guys soon to keep them from going stale and losing their value. Down the road guys like Y-Rod, Duran or Lamar might enter the picture, but for the next four or five years it would seem that the stopgaps could be moved aside and the role filled fairly well from within.

Who is the LF of the future?
    Last edited by mth123; 03-26-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LF of the future

David Sappelt is flashing images of Kirby Puckett in my mind. Chris Heisey seems like a Cody Ross grinder. Frazier and Francisco seem to be suited for bench play at a lot of positions and a transitioning at 3B when Rolen calls it quits, but IMO, if Yonder Alonso can play defense to at least the Gomes standard, he's the man for the job.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

I'm not sure who it'll be, but I think this season will determine what direction they go.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would put my money in the Sappelt or Alonso basket. Not sure which one it is yet, but as cinreds21 says.... I think this season will determine where they go.

-The Insider-

For some reason, I still think Frazier is the answer, rather it be left or third. Big bounce-back candidate for me.

Yonder Alonso. I will roll with the best bat and live with the subpar fielding. Stubbs and Bruce cover so much ground that they can shade a bit towards left to help compensate for Alonso's lack of range. Alonso is also likely the one with the most trade value on this list. I would be very tempted to see what we could get for him and possibly pull the trigger on a deal if the return is good enough.

I think Juan Francisco is the future at third base rather than left field. Frazier will be the utility guy and Sappelt & Heisey will be top rate extra outfielders worthy of starting for most MLB teams.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 03-26-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Alonso will never improve enough defensively to play left field. They know they need to try to make him a decent first baseman rather than wasting time trying to make him something he is not. Frazier is still the best bet on this list with Heisey a close second.

Well Dusty is basically in charge of this as Walt will likely defer to him so what is it that Dusty likes most? He loves aggressiveness, contact hitters, speed on the basepaths and defense. Heisey or Sappelt is what it comes down to and if Heisey gets himself straightened out at the plate I give him an edge with his power being a little better as well as his arm but until that time comes (I haven't seen it yet) I'll go with Sappelt.

I see the immediate future (after '11) like this at the moment...

Sappelt LF
    Cozart 2B
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Stubbs CF
    Mes C
    Janish SS

Hanigan C
    Heisey OF
    Francisco COF/CIF
    Valaika IF
    Frazier UT (until Rolen is done and then to 3rd)

Yonder Alonso being the odd man out...
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-26-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Well Dusty is basically in charge of this as Walt will likely defer to him so what is it that Dusty likes most? He loves aggressiveness, contact hitters, speed on the basepaths and defense. Heisey or Sappelt is what it comes down to and if Heisey gets himself straightened out at the plate I give him an edge with his power being a little better as well as his arm but until that time comes (I haven't seen it yet) I'll go with Sappelt.

I see the immediate future (after '11) like this at the moment...

Sappelt LF
    Cozart 2B
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Stubbs CF
    Mes C
    Janish SS

Hanigan C
    Heisey OF
    Francisco COF/CIF
    Valaika IF
    Frazier UT (until Rolen is done and then to 3rd)
    If that is Dusty's MO, why Gomes over Lewis?

IF next year we still are in desperate need of a leadoff hitter and are strapped for cash then I would go with Sappelt. That being said if Yonder is ripping AAA apart then there shouldn't be a disscusion. If Dusty insists on throwing Gomes out there then defense shouldn't be part of the issue
    Go Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If that is Dusty's MO, why Gomes over Lewis?
    Why do you think, also Dustys M.O. proven to him is proven. If (a big if at this point) and when Lewis proves himself to Dusty as being that guy I described he will take Gomes' job.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by StubbsFan#6 View Post
    IF next year we still are in desperate need of a leadoff hitter and are strapped for cash then I would go with Sappelt. That being said if Yonder is ripping AAA apart then there shouldn't be a disscusion. If Dusty insists on throwing Gomes out there then defense shouldn't be part of the issue
    Well in that case better get ready for an interesting summer because I believe Yonder is indeed ready to lay waste to AAA pitching this year, just not sure that means he is ready for the show if he hasn't shortened that swing up a bit. Both he and Heisey need to get their hands into hitting position before the pitch is out of the pitchers hand, not during or just after (way too slow to react).
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-26-2011 at 06:41 PM.

--Woody Hayes

I think Sappelt could be a place-holder ubtil YRod is ready. Maybe longer if the were to deal Stubbs

I think Sappelt could be a place-holder ubtil YRod is ready. Maybe longer if the were to deal Stubbs

I think Sappelt could be a place-holder until YRod is ready. Maybe longer if they were to deal Stubbs

Turn Off Ads?