Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will be the LF over the next four or five seasons?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • David Sappelt

24 48.00%
  • Yonder Alonso

10 20.00%
  • Juan Francisco

1 2.00%
  • Chris Heisey

7 14.00%
  • Todd Frazier

2 4.00%
  • Other (Platoon? acquisition? surprise?)

6 12.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LF of the future

Re: LF of the future

I think the point is you don't have to be a power bat to be productive.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Honest question.... outside of the steals and the throwing arm, does much separate Dave Sappelts skillset from that of Carl Crawford? I am not sure the differences are that big.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Honest question.... outside of the steals and the throwing arm, does much separate Dave Sappelts skillset from that of Carl Crawford? I am not sure the differences are that big.
    Really?

If Sappelt continues to perform at the highest level in AAA, it's his job in left. Even if Stubbs does not continue to improve with the bat, his defensive range in center is so large that he's going to be the center fielder for some time to come. Unless there's an injury to either of these guys, Heisey is going to be the 4th outfielder.

Francisco or Frazier look like the immediate future after this season at 3rd. Frazier looks better in the outfield than Francisco ever will - Juan needs to focus on 3rd and pay attention to what Rolen tells him this season.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Good job on the triple post. That's difficult to pull off.
    Maybe he just really believes what he is saying and wants to re-re-reiterate it
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Really?
    That doesn't answer the question at all. Tell me what the differences are.

Well, Crawford hits for more power, plays better defense and reached the MLB at a younger age. Sappelt can learn to play the outfield better but I don't see him gaining much more power. At least not around 20 HR/season power. Sappelt might hit for better average though but we won't know until he faces a steady stream of big league pitchers.

That doesn't answer the question at all. Tell me what the differences are.
    Firstly, you made the claim so I'd be interested why you would compare a guy with somewhat limited success in professional baseball to a guy who just got a nine figure contract from the Red Sox.

But here's my take. I admit that I haven't scouted them and my take is mostly from what one can see using what is publicly accessible. And I know you qualified your statement by talking about "skillset". But to me there are some key differences in each player:

1) You didn't mention defense, and Crawford is known as one of the best fielders in baseball. Maybe Sappelt is a good defender (unsure as to his prowess), but is he known as potentially the best in the game?

2) Crawford was a first rd talent. Sappelt was a middle rounder. Obviously there were some skill differences at that time for each. If not, I would assume that Sappelt wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

3) When Sappelt was in his 22 year old year, he was struggling in A ball. When Crawford was 22, he made the all-star team in the majors.

Interested to hear your take.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

The Reds were 5th in MLB in OBP last year, 2nd in the NL by one point. Why do you think they lack OBP "as a unit"?
    It was IMO BA driven largely and I believe we were as a team a bit BABIP lucky.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    True, but we are discussing who should play left field. It doesn't make sense to say that since our other bats are good we don't want or need good production from left field. We shouldn't accept mediocre production in left field just because the rest of the offense is good -- it could always be better.
    Production is right I agree, power doesn't necessarily equate to production.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Firstly, you made the claim so I'd be interested why you would compare a guy with somewhat limited success in professional baseball to a guy who just got a nine figure contract from the Red Sox.

But here's my take. I admit that I haven't scouted them and my take is mostly from what one can see using what is publicly accessible. And I know you qualified your statement by talking about "skillset". But to me there are some key differences in each player:

1) You didn't mention defense, and Crawford is known as one of the best fielders in baseball. Maybe Sappelt is a good defender (unsure as to his prowess), but is he known as potentially the best in the game?

2) Crawford was a first rd talent. Sappelt was a middle rounder. Obviously there were some skill differences at that time for each. If not, I would assume that Sappelt wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

3) When Sappelt was in his 22 year old year, he was struggling in A ball. When Crawford was 22, he made the all-star team in the majors.

Interested to hear your take.
    1. Sappelt has plus range in center field. That translates incredibly well to left field. So range wise, I imagine they are very similar.

2. Kyle McColloch was first round talent too, but he isn't anymore. Likewise, is Chris Heisey a 17th round talent now compared to when he was drafted? Draft status years ago (for both) means very little to the conversation to their current skills.

3. Guys progress at different ages. Crawford was clearly the better player at younger ages, but that doesn't mean he will continue to be. Sappelt at 22 was nothing close to the same player as Sappelt at 23.

Lets look at their skills.

Defense - Range wise, I would honestly say they are close to even. Arm wise, Sappelt isn't on the same level.

Base running - Sappelt isn't on the same level.

Speed - Sappelt is a notch below, but he is an above average speed guy.

Hitting ability (average) - Crawford is a career .296 hitter, peaking at .315. That is pretty strong. Is Sappelt a .300 guy? Is he close to it? I think he could be.

Hitting ability (power) - Crawford is a career .444 slugger and has never hit 20 HR's in a season, and averages just 14 per 162 games. I think Sappelt has 15-20 HR power, so I don't think there is a distinct advantage here.

Plate discipline - Crawford has a career 2.62 K/BB rate in the majors. In the minors it was just over 3.00. Sappelt is at 1.96 in the minors. He of course started in the minors at an older age, but I see his discipline being at least on par, if not better than Crawford in the majors.

Contact rate - Crawford has a MLB career K rate of 14.3%, with a minor league one of 16.6%. Sappelt has a minor league K rate of 13.4% (K/PA). I don't see a distinct advantage here.

So is Crawford better? Yeah, he probably is. But is he marginally better across the board? I am not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Well, Crawford hits for more power, plays better defense and reached the MLB at a younger age. Sappelt can learn to play the outfield better but I don't see him gaining much more power. At least not around 20 HR/season power. Sappelt might hit for better average though but we won't know until he faces a steady stream of big league pitchers.
    Does Crawford really hit for more power? He has a career .444 SLG and has never hit 20 HR's in a season despite 650+ PA in 6 seasons in the majors. Crawford averages 14 HR's per 162 games.

Crawford hit 19 last year. I just don't see Sappelt ever hitting 19.

Defense - Range wise, I would honestly say they are close to even. Arm wise, Sappelt isn't on the same level.
    There's more to defense than range and arm. There's choice of routes. If a ball is going to land laterally or in front of him and it's just a sprint to get to it, Sappelt looks pretty good. If it's over his head then I'll take Crawford all day.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Crawford hit 19 last year. I just don't see Sappelt ever hitting 19.
    I could in his best year. But I do think he is more likely to be a 15 HR guy, but that is what Crawford has been for his career too.

Turn Off Ads?