Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Prospects Reds Milb Camp tweets

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Project Prospects Reds Milb Camp tweets

Adam Foster (ProjectProspect.com founder) is at Reds camp today watching the Minor Leaguers. He is tweeting about it. I thought I would just update this thread all day with his tweets on what he is seeing:

Getting my first close look at Yorman Rodriguez and Billy Hamilton's swings. Their skills have been vastly exaggerated.

Jefry Sierra looks impressive in the cage, though.

Seems to lack feel getting the barrel on the ball. Don't know how correctable that is RT @PhillyFriar: Hamilton's swing need to be reworked?

Hamilton is an excellent shortstop, though. He's very thin -- built like a gazelle. Ranges easily. Good hands. Strong arm. Fluid defender.

Neither has power. Gordon can swing it better -- and I'm not high on Gordon's bat RT @alskor: How does Hamilton compare to Dee Gordon?

Looked strong enough to me RT @kcscoliny: most others have said Hamiltion doesn't have the arm to play SS

I'd gladly take Ronald Torreyes over Billy Hamilton.

Lotzkar just took himself out mid-outing. He threw a few between-inning warmup pitches then walked back to the dugout pointing to his elbow.

Yep. BP and in-game. Dude is a stud. The most impressive low-minors hitter I've seen this wk RT @dougdirt24: Did you get video of Torreyes?

Hamilton and Yorman Rodriguez look just as unimpressive at the plate in-game action as they did in BP. I don't get the hype at all.

It would be one thing if Hamilton and Rodriguez at least lit it up in BP. They're almost getting the bat knocked out of their hands in-game.

I am sure there is more to come.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Project Prospects Reds Milb Camp tweets

This is why I don't take Adam Foster seriously. Pretty much every other scout in the game love the tools of Yorman Rodriguez and Billy Hamilton. Bill Bavasi has gone as far as saying Yorman would have been drafted ahead of Bryce Harper had he been draft eligible. But based on one batting practice session, Adam Foster writes them off. Solid. Good grief. Oh, but Jefry Sierra (career .591 OPS in rookie ball) impresses him though.

I never took him seriously as a talent evaluator before and won't be in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This is why I don't take Adam Foster seriously. Pretty much every other scout in the game love the tools of Yorman Rodriguez and Billy Hamilton. Bill Bavasi has gone as far as saying Yorman would have been drafted ahead of Bryce Harper had he been draft eligible. But based on one batting practice session, Adam Foster writes them off. Solid. Good grief. Oh, but Jefry Sierra (career .591 OPS in rookie ball) impresses him though.

I never took him seriously as a talent evaluator before and won't be in the future.
    Well, to his defense he did say that the pitchers were almost knocking the bats out of their hands. It doesn't take a pro scout to see something like that.

With that said, I did remind him that basing an opinion off of a guy in one viewing is often a poor idea.

Thanks.

Just curiously, is he taking into account their ages when talking about their strength?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, to his defense he did say that the pitchers were almost knocking the bats out of their hands. It doesn't take a pro scout to see something like that.

With that said, I did remind him that basing an opinion off of a guy in one viewing is often a poor idea.
    As you're well aware, last season Yorman hit .339 with an .817 OPS as a 17-year old. Hamilton hit .318 with an .839 OPS. Obviously pitchers weren't knocking the bats out of their hands then. Ignoring that much larger sample size in favor of one workout/spring game is beyond ignorant, IMO. That would be like me saying Yorman has a chance to be a 60 HR guy because John Fay reported he hit a HR over a light tower in BP a few days ago. I can't take him seriously after that.

Also who was the pitcher? Where they going against Lotzkar or another team. As Lotzkar has top of the staff type stuff, also any news on him?

Reds coach on Torreyes: "This little ____ gets the barrel to the ball as well as anyone out here. He's a rock."

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    As you're well aware, last season Yorman hit .339 with an .817 OPS as a 17-year old. Hamilton hit .318 with an .839 OPS. Obviously pitchers weren't knocking the bats out of their hands then. Ignoring that much larger sample size in favor of one workout/spring game is beyond ignorant, IMO. That would be like me saying Yorman has a chance to be a 60 HR guy because John Fay reported he hit a HR over a light tower in BP a few days ago. I can't take him seriously after that.
    Which is why watching a guy, especially against other pros, once and forming an opinion is a very poor idea. I have seen some really poor players do some very nice things in one game samples. I have seen Joey Votto look like an amateur as well.

Very impressed with Carlos Ramos here at Reds camp. FB touched 94. Showed a feel for three pitches. Made some hitters look silly.

Great thread Doug. Even if this guy is not a particularly trustworthy set of eyes, it makes for interesting reading.

One thing about Adam, he is much more of a "now" guy than a "projection" guy.

Can't put much stock in this. Those guys are young and yes they are going to struggle against pitchers who have experience at higher levels. Does he even know who they are Facing? That would be my first question. Those guys are low A players, prospects or not. I do have a concern that the Dayton club will be awfully young by Midwest League standards.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I do have a concern that the Dayton club will be awfully young by Midwest League standards.
    For Reds fans, its a good thing if it happens. For Dragons fans.... not so much.

I'm not taking the opinion of Adam Foster over dozens of scouts that have raved about both Yorman and Billy. Interesting stuff about Ramos, this guy sounds impressive although it's to early to jump the gun on him. I'm assuming he will be in the AZL next year?
    Go Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by StubbsFan#6 View Post
    I'm not taking the opinion of Adam Foster over dozens of scouts that have raved about both Yorman and Billy. Interesting stuff about Ramos, this guy sounds impressive although it's to early to jump the gun on him. I'm assuming he will be in the AZL next year?
    That or Billings would be my guess.

Turn Off Ads?