Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My first time at opening day--my observations

My first time at opening day--my observations

--The parade was awesome. Had a great time. Parked in downtown rather easily, and for only 10 dollars. I was actually worried about this, but it turned out to be a breeze.

--It was chilly, but not unbearably cold

--loved the new Mexican food stand in the ballpark

--The crowd was great, but honestly, it felt more like an "event crowd" than a crowd of baseball diehards. A corporate crowd, if you will. I noticed many people weren't paying much attention to the game, were leaving very early, and the concourse was crowded the whole game. Almost unbearably so

--I got my standing room ticket for only 38 dollars. A great deal, and very happy, as I spent the game maneuvering around the stadiums (which is how I made some of my observations of the crowd behavior)

--if anyone else was standing by the Milwaukee bullpen at the top of the 9th, there were a couple of Brewers fans who were absolutely hilarious. Prob. two of the funnier fans I'd ever seen

--Why don't they offer more grey/white/black Reds player t shirts? Just a thought. A jersey is too expensive, and I already have a Red Votto shirt. I was looking for a grey/white Chapman one, and had no luck.

--the PA system can't be heard in the concourse area. Maybe it's like this in all stadiums, though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My first time at opening day--my observations

Were the Brewers fans in short shorts with awesome mustaches? If so, they were at Holy Grail before the game. Cool guys.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Were the Brewers fans in short shorts with awesome mustaches? If so, they were at Holy Grail before the game. Cool guys.
    Yup, it was them. They were really drunk, and really funny.

Yeah the crowd at the playoff game was the same way. I felt as if I was the only one watching the game.

I'm glad you got to go to the best opening day game in a long time, though. Hope you had fun!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    Yeah the crowd at the playoff game was the same way. I felt as if I was the only one watching the game.

I'm glad you got to go to the best opening day game in a long time, though. Hope you had fun!
    I had a blast. One of the best days of my life, honestly.

Between innings, I would switch standing spots to get a different view, and as I walked around, I saw groups of people just hanging out in the concourse, and there were long lines to get into the machine room, which I'm sure is great, but why would you go to a professional baseball stadium to hang out in a bar DURING the game?

--The crowd was great, but honestly, it felt more like an "event crowd" than a crowd of baseball diehards. A corporate crowd, if you will. I noticed many people weren't paying much attention to the game, were leaving very early, and the concourse was crowded the whole game. Almost unbearably so
    I made it to several ODs in the 80s, it always seemed that way to me.
    The diehards go to game 2.

My 20 year old daughter and I loved the whole day, she did come back from the concession stand and said, It's Happy Hour all day up there. I said what do you mean and she said you would think they were giving beer away up there!

I think sports has just become that way in general, or maybe it always has been. There are games that are more social events then the actual event. This always bugs me at Durham Bulls games every year; there are some games that are quick sellouts because of some outside reason-opening day, Dora the frickin explorer wil be there, etc, but then other games are nearly empty. It is all about being seen and saying you were at "that game" to many people. Or if its a giveaway game,then the EBay crowd comes out or those that only go because they feel they are owed something to attend (and certainly not saying everyone at those games fits this arguement of course). I look at schedules and get my tickets based on games I think will have the smallest crowds or be the best game on the field.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I think it's all good. Having a "party atmosphere" in the concourse has never distracted from my ability to watch the game from my seat. And it's always a little funner when it feels like an "event".

To me overall, the Reds merchandise choices are one of the worst in major league sports...just saying.'

^from the few timnes I have looked at the team store, I have to agree with you, not very good selection/options.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    To me overall, the Reds merchandise choices are one of the worst in major league sports...just saying.'
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    ^from the few timnes I have looked at the team store, I have to agree with you, not very good selection/options.
    Can't speak about the team store, I (unfortunately) make it to very few games, but, I would agree that merch could be better unless you want a Reds cap.. then you have one of the best selections of any MLB team. Seems like I see 10 caps with Mr. Red on them for every shirt.

Turn Off Ads?