Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cubs release Silva citing "performance" as the reason

Re: Cubs release Silva citing "performance" as the reason

Not sure the Reds are willing to make roster space for a guy like Silva. Still, the team does need to seriously consider bolstering its rotation depth. With Leake, a weakened Arroyo and a wild Volquez, the team is going to need guys like Lecure and Maloney for long relief -- not the 5th spot.

Silva has gotten fat, and he's ornery. But he'll be pitching for a contract. I've always liked him a little more than most. Unfortunately, I think his conditioning is so poor at this point that he's not built to do well consistently in 2011. If they could stash him in extended and work him into better shape, it's a no brainer. By that point, the other guys might be ready anyway, so it doesn't seem like a real good match in the bigger picture. The need for depth, though, remains nagging....and Silva would have a bone to pick with those Cubbies.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is the difference between Silva's production and LeCure's so great that you'd be willing to throw Silva into the clubhouse with Aroldis Chapman? I'd kind of like to keep those kind of influences away from him for another year or so...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Is the difference between Silva's production and LeCure's so great that you'd be willing to throw Silva into the clubhouse with Aroldis Chapman? I'd kind of like to keep those kind of influences away from him for another year or so...
    Silva would be a newcomer, and the Reds clubhouse is under the control of some trustworthy vets. Spanish speakers Renteria and Hernandez (a fellow Venezuelan) would keep him in line. Wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Trouble is, the Reds currently have two 5th Starters in their rotation: Leake and LeCure.

If Leake can revert to pre-ASB Mike Leake, where he was missing bats and inducing poor contact, then it ceases being a problem. Unfortunately, no one has seen that version of Mike Leake since June of 2010 (certainly hasn't been around this year in spring training).

As for LeCure projecting to be as good as Silva, Silva is a career 4.68 guy who has pitched better than that number in each of his seasons in the NL. I'd be outright shocked if LeCure could post that number over the course of even a half season of starts.
    Since of June of last year, Silva has a 14.29 ERA. He really only had two good months, then was beyond terrible, and then was shutndown.

Let's not pretend that Silva is still a good pitcher. Since 2005, he has a 5.37 ERA, and a 4.2 K/9 rate, including the two decent months he had last year.

LeCure could easily put that up over a full season as a starter.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Silva would be a newcomer, and the Reds clubhouse is under the control of some trustworthy vets. Spanish speakers Renteria and Hernandez (a fellow Venezuelan) would keep him in line. Wouldn't worry about it.
    I'm not sure you've paid attention to how Silva has acted this spring, or how he re-acted to not making the team. He's beyond toxic. I doubt anyone could keep him in line.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Since of June of last year, Silva has a 14.29 ERA. He really only had two good months, then was beyond terrible, and then was shutndown.

Let's not pretend that Silva is still a good pitcher. Since 2005, he has a 5.37 ERA, and a 4.2 K/9 rate, including the two decent months he had last year.

LeCure could easily put that up over a full season as a starter.
    And let's not pretend he hasn't had some real good stretches. Bottom line is that the team would be taking no real risk, and the rotation is on tilt. There are no sterling options out there -- so I wouldn't be waiting for one.

I'm not sure you've paid attention to how Silva has acted this spring, or how he re-acted to not making the team. He's beyond toxic. I doubt anyone could keep him in line.
    I have paid attention, thanks. Silva is pissed because he thinks the Cubs have had their mind made up to dump him. Get him out of Chicago and the chip on his shoulder likely goes away.

If the guy had a long history of behavior issues -- a la Milton Bradley -- that's one thing. Silva may not be Mr. Congeniality, but he hasn't imploded repeatedly.

And let's not pretend he hasn't had some real good stretches. Bottom line is that the team would be taking no real risk, and the rotation is on tilt. There are no sterling options out there -- so I wouldn't be waiting for one.
    Bingo. I don't really see a downside to giving Silva a league minimum contract. Heck if he reproduces his first half of last year it would be a nice boost to the Reds.

I have paid attention, thanks. Silva is pissed because he thinks the Cubs have had their mind made up to dump him. Get him out of Chicago and the chip on his shoulder likely goes away.

If the guy had a long history of behavior issues -- a la Milton Bradley -- that's one thing. Silva may not be Mr. Congeniality, but he hasn't imploded repeatedly.
    Count me as one of the guys who would want Silva instead of LeCure. While LeCure may project to be a nice 5th starter Silva has been better than that before. Why not bring him in on a minimum contract, give him 3-4 starts until Cueto and Bailey get healthy, and ship LeCure to the minors. I would much rather have LeCure as the starter in waiting in AAA and Silva in the rotation than LeCure in the rotation and Willis as the next starter up.

Count me as one of the guys who would want Silva instead of LeCure. While LeCure may project to be a nice 5th starter Silva has been better than that before. Why not bring him in on a minimum contract, give him 3-4 starts until Cueto and Bailey get healthy, and ship LeCure to the minors. I would much rather have LeCure as the starter in waiting in AAA and Silva in the rotation than LeCure in the rotation and Willis as the next starter up.
    Exactly right. It's a matter of having depth. Better options than Silva may be available that we don't know about, but right now anybody with any history of recent success should be a consideration.

I don't see the need -today- to be pursuing another starter, especially of the Silva type. No need to panic -today- , this is where the depth really helps the Reds out.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree. Although Silva MIGHT pitch better than LeCure, any improvement would be marginal at best. It's not a significant upgrade. In fact, Silva might be worse.

Silva is clearly delusional. There's no way the Reds would be able to stash him. If he's signed, he'll want money, maybe an option for next year and he'll want to be put in the rotation immediately. When Cueto and Homer get healthy, we'll have a drama case just like the Cubs did. Remember when Manzillio convinced another prospect at AAA to quit? One bad apple can drag down an entire team.. I've seen it in non sports workplaces.

If the Reds expect Cueto or Homer to be out for an extended period of time, it is a good idea to look at other options, but I'll pass on Silva.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Eh, I would stay far away from Silva. He's trouble in the clubhouse and aside from the first three months of the 2010 season, he's been largely ineffective for a few years. I would rather target a guy like Kevin Slowey in a trade...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Eh, I would stay far away from Silva. He's trouble in the clubhouse and aside from the first three months of the 2010 season, he's been largely ineffective for a few years. I would rather target a guy like Kevin Slowey in a trade...
    Silva would be at the league minimum and you wouldn't have to give up anything for him with the exception of a 40 man roster spot.

The Reds are in a tough spot right now with their pitching. With Homer and Cueto starting the season on the DL. They are sending Willis down to the minors to be stretched into a starter. I want nothing to do with Dontrel as a staring pitcher. To me it would be ideal to have LeCure starting the season in AAA instead of the majors. Sliva may be a bag of junk, but if he can replicate the 2010 start he would be a huge boost. And if he acts up in the locker room or stinks it up on the mound you can cut him loose.

There is no way I'd want Silva in a Reds uni. He might eat Daniel Herrera...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I would rather target a guy like Kevin Slowey in a trade...
    Definitely a better option, but it sounds now as if he's not available. You'd be sacrificing significant talent at this point too, since the Reds would be perceived as somewhat desperate. For example, would you deal Cozart for Slowey? (Twins look short at SS.)

Definitely a better option, but it sounds now as if he's not available. You'd be sacrificing significant talent at this point too, since the Reds would be perceived as somewhat desperate. For example, would you deal Cozart for Slowey? (Twins look short at SS.)
    It Bailey/Cueto are only going to miss 2-3 starts, then no, I wouldn't make that deal but I would at least consider it if those two are going to miss more time than that.

Turn Off Ads?