Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cubs release Silva citing "performance" as the reason

Cubs release Silva citing "performance" as the reason

Didn't see this anywhere else...

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...s_chc&c_id=chc

I think we all knew he pitched way above his head after coming to Chicago last year, but can't say I expected him not to make the team this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs release Silva citing "performance" as the reason

Obviously it was more than just how he pitched in Spring training. Hopefully it comes back to burn the Cubs. Somehow I'm betting he ends up in St Louis and wins a Cy Young under Duncan.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Definitely surprising. i'm no fan of his, but he was pretty decent last year. Missed some bats, showed good control and kept the ball on the ground. Has to be more to the story.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Should the Reds try to sign him? Could Silva help now with our pitching depth? Would you DFA DRH for Silva?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Should the Reds try to sign him? Could Silva help now with our pitching depth? Would you DFA DRH for Silva?
    No way. He is a clubhouse disaster waiting to happen; the shots he took at the Cubs on the way out the door show the type of attitude that can really destabilize a team environment. His career numbers say he's not worth the risk.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    No way. He is a clubhouse disaster waiting to happen; the shots he took at the Cubs on the way out the door show the type of attitude that can really destabilize a team environment. His career numbers say he's not worth the risk.
    I'd feel a lot better about the Reds with Carlos Silva in the #4 spot instead of Sam LeCure -- clubhouse issues or not.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd feel a lot better about the Reds with Carlos Silva in the #4 spot instead of Sam LeCure -- clubhouse issues or not.
    +1

I'd kick the tires on the guy at this point.

With the understanding that he'd be on a limited, limited leash. A two-start audition, perhaps? If he stinks, no big deal. You've got other options. If he's good, deal him for a low level prospect.

Take a look at Silva's career numbers. I have to believe Lecure can at least produce on a similar level.

Silva Career Statistics

Why?

Silva's not a talent.
    He's a problem who thinks he's a talent.

Why would you want that? That's the kind of "talent" that Bowden was famous for finding. He would bring in 6 guys like this and then at the end of the season crow about what a value the one guy who went 500 was without mentioning the playing time he had spent on his other stinkies. Hopefully this franchise is well past that.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88257

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hendry
    "Obviously we're dealing with a man at this stage of his career who's not willing to face the facts. What he's done for the last few years in his career, except for a two-month period, is way below major league standards. And he seems to have the continual problem [of] blaming everybody but himself."
    But really, the reality is that if he wasn't such a jerk, he'd probably be on the Cubs roster. Actually he'd probably still be on Seattle's.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Take a look at Silva's career numbers. I have to believe Lecure can at least produce on a similar level.

Silva Career Statistics
    LeCure seems like a nice kid -- he's a good story too (farm hand works his way through the system and onto the big league roster) -- but having seen him pitch a number of times it's pretty clear that he has nothing special in his arsenal. Most organizations are loaded with guys like LeCure -- low ceiling RHPs who can pull a few spot starts but who are ultimately destined to be journeyman AAA guys or swingmen out of the pen.

He's a career 3.77 guy in the minors, and he's going to be 27 in May. If the team is going to be without the services of Cueto and Bailey for an extended period of time, I'm all for seeing if they can do better than Sam LeCure.

LeCure seems like a nice kid -- he's a good story too (farm hand works his way through the system and onto the big league roster) -- but having seen him pitch a number of times it's pretty clear that he has nothing special in his arsenal. Most organizations are loaded with guys like LeCure -- low ceiling RHPs who can pull a few spot starts but who are ultimately destined to be journeyman AAA guys or swingmen out of the pen.

He's a career 3.77 guy in the minors, and he's going to be 27 in May. If the team is going to be without the services of Cueto and Bailey for an extended period of time, I'm all for seeing if they can do better than Sam LeCure.
    Everything you said about LeCure is true, and everything you said projects LeCure to be at least a league average 5th starter, if he were to start the whole season.

The Yankees just signed Kevin Millwood, the Dodgers' fifth starter is Tim Redding, the Padres' right now is either Dustin Mosely or Aaron Harang. These are not the Pirates and the Royals.

LeCure projects to be at least as good as Silva over a full season, and comes without the headaches.

The Reds can do better than LeCure, but there really isn't a problem if they don't.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Fine idea. But Carlos Silva is the wrong target. I don't think he's better than Lecure, and comes with an attitude that has gotten him run out of three cities now.

Yuck on Silva.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

This. There is more to this game than simply numbers. Personality MATTERS. Attitude MATTERS. Work Ethic MATTERS. Respect MATTERS. And when you've got a young and impressionable team, it matters even more.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Everything you said about LeCure is true, and everything you said projects LeCure to be at least a league average 5th starter, if he were to start the whole season.

The Yankees just signed Kevin Millwood, the Dodgers' fifth starter is Tim Redding, the Padres' right now is either Dustin Mosely or Aaron Harang. These are not the Pirates and the Royals.
    Trouble is, the Reds currently have two 5th Starters in their rotation: Leake and LeCure.

If Leake can revert to pre-ASB Mike Leake, where he was missing bats and inducing poor contact, then it ceases being a problem. Unfortunately, no one has seen that version of Mike Leake since June of 2010 (certainly hasn't been around this year in spring training).

As for LeCure projecting to be as good as Silva, Silva is a career 4.68 guy who has pitched better than that number in each of his seasons in the NL. I'd be outright shocked if LeCure could post that number over the course of even a half season of starts.

Turn Off Ads?