Turn Off Ads?

Thread: At his core, Castellini is a fan

At his core, Castellini is a fan

Nice article by Paul Daugherty on Bob Castellini.

Castellini's passion has occasionally resulted in a dubious move. One was signing free agent closer Francisco Cordero to a four-year, $48 million contract, at a time when the Reds weren't winning enough to justify that sort of outlay. "That might be correct," Castellini admits. "I was very sensitive to a team that could play well and have its saves blown."

Such independent displays are less frequent now. Castellini has his people in place. Plus, the Reds won big last year. "Winning last year calmed everything down," says one member of the ownership group. "Had we not won, you would not have wanted to be in (Castellini's) box" at GABP.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: At his core, Castellini is a fan

A nice bit of PR for the owner. Hope he has Daugherty on retainer.

In all seriousness, it's a good look at the man responsible for ultimately rebuilding the Big Red Machine.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Something that everyone has to respect about Castellini is that he wants to win. And is willing to do the big things to make it happen.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Something that everyone has to respect about Castellini is that he wants to win. And is willing to do the big things to make it happen.
    Until they win the WS it will never be enough for some people though. I actually heard people over the winter talking about how if he wanted to win so much, why didn't he spend more of his money to do so and gotten us to the world series?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Until they win the WS it will never be enough for some people though. I actually heard people over the winter talking about how if he wanted to win so much, why didn't he spend more of his money to do so and gotten us to the world series?
    You could make the counter argument (made here on RZ) that they needed to add an impact player to take it to the next level. Do the Reds look a lot better with Gomes/Lewis in LF or Carl Crawford? Its only money, right?

Im not saying that I don't agree with what you said, just that there is a valid counter argument.

I love the fact that Bob Castellini owns the Reds. Like Carl Lindner, Castellini is a good man and very civic minded.

The difference is Bob's a Reds Fan.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The article didn't go in to it for obvious reasons, but the move from Krivsky to Jocketty makes so much more sense in that context. At heart, Castellini knew that he had to have somebody in that position who could stand eye-to-eye with him and who he could trust at the same time.

I imagine Krivksy was too much of a subordinate and, through no fault of his own, simply didn't have the necessary gravitas for Castellini to treat him as an equal. Bob seems to have recognized that he needed somebody in the front office who could tell him no -- that moves like the Cordero signing were not good for the long term health of the organization, but that he couldn't step back without complete confidence in his GM.

Obviously I would prefer the organization have more of an analytical approach, like the Red Sox or Rays, but I certainly appreciate that Castellini appreciates the necessary balance between his desire to win and the need for relative autonomy by his baseball people. One of the things that led both the Rays and the Twins earlier in the decade to success was an owner willing to hire good people, provide resources and then get the heck out of the way. Kudos to Castellini for recognizing his own limitations.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Good post RMR. It really is amazing how vastly improved the Reds organization has become since Big Bob took the helm.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?