Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Francisco + playing time

Francisco + playing time

I could see Francisco getting significant playing time this season. As a LH hitting 3B and LF, he fills several needs for the Reds.
    1. Rolen will almost certainly miss a lot of playing time, and that would be best if he is going to be healthy at the end of the season. Cairo is the only backup right now, but he has a lot of mileage, and could easily fall off from last year. If Francisco can get this throwing together and more consistent, he has the potential to get some starts at 3B against RHP.
    2. Francisco could be a better ption in LF than Lewis as a LH hitting counterpart to Gomes. Francisco could fill the role of Lewis while also acting as backup 3B.
    3. As a pinch hitting LH batter he would be the best Reds option off the bench when not starting.

Of course the question is whether his defense in LF or at 3B is good enough on the MLB level. But Lewis and Cairo are not defensive whizes either, so why not go with the younger better upside player? I say keep Cairo as insurance and use Francisco in place of Lewis as the 5th OF/ backup 3b.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Francisco + playing time

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    I could see Francisco getting significant playing time this season. As a LH hitting 3B and LF, he fills several needs for the Reds.
    1. Rolen will almost certainly miss a lot of playing time, and that would be best if he is going to be healthy at the end of the season. Cairo is the only backup right now, but he has a lot of mileage, and could easily fall off from last year. If Francisco can get this throwing together and more consistent, he has the potential to get some starts at 3B against RHP.
    2. Francisco could be a better ption in LF than Lewis as a LH hitting counterpart to Gomes. Francisco could fill the role of Lewis while also acting as backup 3B.
    3. As a pinch hitting LH batter he would be the best Reds option off the bench when not starting.

Of course the question is whether his defense in LF or at 3B is good enough on the MLB level. But Lewis and Cairo are not defensive whizes either, so why not go with the younger better upside player? I say keep Cairo as insurance and use Francisco in place of Lewis as the 5th OF/ backup 3b.

I fear it will be a long year if we have to count on him any
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Wallflower

This could be the year Francisco puts it together. Maturation coupled with more regular big league at-bats could really help. He could turn into a great spell player for Rolen. He'll likely get some starts on Sundays (day game after night game) and I'm hoping he can finally unload that power we're always hearing about. Although Cairo is more likely to get the starts at 3B.

That said, my guess is we see him primarily getting pinch hit opportunities until there is an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by uteroasis View Post
    This could be the year Francisco puts it together.
    And he has not put it together already? He has a .316 ML average & .339 in AAA. He averaged a HR every 18 AB in AAA, that is 33 HR for a season with 600 AB. The man is only 23. This will be the season he replaces Rolen

From his first game pinch hit appearance: he has to learn that coming in cold from the bench, you need to take a pitch or two to get the feel for the pitcher. I am sure Pete Rose, who was sitting in the stands, said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    And he has not put it together already? He has a .316 ML average & .339 in AAA. He averaged a HR every 18 AB in AAA, that is 33 HR for a season with 600 AB. The man is only 23. This will be the season he replaces Rolen
    I could be wrong but I don't think his bat has ever been the problem.

I agree that Francisco is an underratedly important piece to the puzzle this year.

We really need to limit Rolen to 100-115 games and it would be nice if Francisco could productively took those games instead of Cairo.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I fear it will be a long year if we have to count on him any
    You really don't like this guy at all, do you?

As a ballplayer, nope, just think he is a softball hitter, with no glove. Willie Mo redux.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

I hate his approach at the plate. It always seems like he swings at balls and looks at stikes. That tells me that he is picking a pitch to swing at before he sees it. He'll never be great untill he gets that fixed. I don't care how many Homers he hits. IMO Cairo is a much better option. I think Saplet should be with reds, and Francisco should be in AAA working on his game. But what do I know?

I'm torn on Francisco. While I think he's due to get better at the plate I just see him as being limited defensively and I don't know if that will ever change. Kind of a better batting Edwin Encarnacion if you will. Please prove me wrong Juan.

Turn Off Ads?