Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Top 5 Trade Pieces

Re: Your Top 5 Trade Pieces

The Reds should be looking to trade Alonso and Valaika. I think both of these guys are hopelessly blocked at the major league level. If Phillips leaves next year, which I doubt, the Reds will look for a veteran rather than using Valaika as a starter IMO.

I would consider trading Cozart or Janish if the Reds deal for a big time shortstop, say Reyes of the Mets. Otherwise, I would hold onto both.

I wouldn't trade Sappelt. I wouldn't trade Mesoraco. I wouldn't trade Heisey. I wouldn't trade Francisco. I wouldn't trade Frazier. I think they all fit the Reds needs for the next few years. Grandal was just drafted, wouldn't deal him even if possible.

I would trade Lecure and Maloney as part of a deal for pitching. Otherwise, I would keep them.

The Reds depth is probably the best part of the organization. I wouldn't trade good prospects - except when they are major league ready and blocked. I would also trade guys for better players in a one-sided deal, obviously.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-01-2011 at 12:18 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Valika won't fetch anything more than what he can provide, as a decent middle infield option, a la Renteria.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Valika won't fetch anything more than what he can provide, as a decent middle infield option, a la Renteria.
    I'm not suggesting the Reds try to trade him straight up for Roy Halliday.

Just don't see Valaika having much of a future with the Reds and I think he is ripe to be included in a trade package.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds should be looking to trade Alonso and Valaika. I think both of these guys are hopelessly blocked at the major league level. If Phillips leaves next year, which I doubt, the Reds will look for a veteran rather than using Valaika as a starter IMO.

I would consider trading Cozart or Janish if the Reds deal for a big time shortstop, say Reyes of the Mets. Otherwise, I would hold onto both.

I wouldn't trade Sappelt. I wouldn't trade Mesoraco. I wouldn't trade Heisey. I wouldn't trade Francisco. I wouldn't trade Frazier. I think they all fit the Reds needs for the next few years. Grandal was just drafted, wouldn't deal him even if possible.

I would trade Lecure and Maloney as part of a deal for pitching. Otherwise, I would keep them.

The Reds depth is probably the best part of the organization. I wouldn't trade good prospects - except when they are major league ready and blocked. I would also trade guys for better players in a one-sided deal, obviously.
    Kc, frankly I'm surprised to hear this type of rhetoric from you. The Reds must deal good prospects -not for the sake of dealing them- but in order to fill in holes during their window to contend. If you wouldn't deal any of the top 15 prospects other than Alonso and Valaika, you're not going to get much help in supplementing the major league squad, and you're likely to never win a World Series.

Imagine if the Reds could have had Cliff Lee anchoring the playoff rotation last year (or someone like him this year).

Imagine if we could get a bopper to anchor the middle of the order assuming Gomes pans out as expected, or Rolen's back gives out (maybe even permanently?)

The fact of the matter is every team will always have holes to fill if they want to contend for the World Series. The Reds are and will be no exception to this. If you are unwilling to part with strong prospects unless they are totally and completely blocked, you will likely never fill these holes, and probably never win a World Series.

The Red Sox had to trade Hanley Ramirez to get Beckett to put them over the top.

The Yankees were willing to trade Montero to get Lee, and probably could have won the Series had they gotten him.

The Rangers got to the WS because they were willing to deal Justin Smoak and others.

The Phillies had to trade Michael Taylor, JA Happ and several others in order to get Lee and Halladay at different points, who (the former) of course put them over the top in 2009.

Sure the Reds aren't big market like those clubs, but those are the types of clubs who win. Even Tampa Bay was willing to deal key parts for Victor Martinez a couple years ago. Ditto for the Marlins when they won their titles.

If the Reds are only willing to trade Alonso, Valaika, Maloney and LeCure, they will never win a title. Depth doesn't win titles, talent does. Great depth is valuable and keeps you relevant for a while, but it can also get you five consecutive second place finishes (like in the late '80s.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Kc, frankly I'm surprised to hear this type of rhetoric from you. The Reds must deal good prospects -not for the sake of dealing them- but in order to fill in holes during their window to contend. If you wouldn't deal any of the top 15 prospects other than Alonso and Valaika, you're not going to get much help in supplementing the major league squad, and you're likely to never win a World Series.

Imagine if the Reds could have had Cliff Lee anchoring the playoff rotation last year (or someone like him this year).

Imagine if we could get a bopper to anchor the middle of the order assuming Gomes pans out as expected, or Rolen's back gives out (maybe even permanently?)

The fact of the matter is every team will always have holes to fill if they want to contend for the World Series. The Reds are and will be no exception to this. If you are unwilling to part with strong prospects unless they are totally and completely blocked, you will likely never fill these holes, and probably never win a World Series.

The Red Sox had to trade Hanley Ramirez to get Beckett to put them over the top.

The Yankees were willing to trade Montero to get Lee, and probably could have won the Series had they gotten him.

The Rangers got to the WS because they were willing to deal Justin Smoak and others.

The Phillies had to trade Michael Taylor, JA Happ and several others in order to get Lee and Halladay at different points, who (the former) of course put them over the top in 2009.

Sure the Reds aren't big market like those clubs, but those are the types of clubs who win. Even Tampa Bay was willing to deal key parts for Victor Martinez a couple years ago. Ditto for the Marlins when they won their titles.

If the Reds are only willing to trade Alonso, Valaika, Maloney and LeCure, they will never win a title. Depth doesn't win titles, talent does. Great depth is valuable and keeps you relevant for a while, but it can also get you five consecutive second place finishes (like in the late '80s.)
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm willing to trade major players in deals that get the Reds a favorable return.

I thought the question here is what minor leaguers should the Reds look to trade. I would look to trade Alonso and Valaika.

Of course, Beni, you are correct that if a deal comes along for a high level major leaguer the Reds should be willing to trade quite a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Imagine CC Sabathia playing for the Brewers, imagine Mark Texeira playing for the Braves. If your good enough to get into the playoffs anything can happen when you get there. Having a big time player helps but it doesn't guarantee anything other than a team just traded future production for a rented mercenary. One an done type players don't do it for me, if they dealt for a controllable player or negotiate a new contract that's a different story imo.

1-5. Joe Cassiere

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Um, Maloney DID make the Opening Day roster. He's in the bullpen.

Amazing that you're giving up on Volquez after one start.
    Ok, was wrong on Maloney and opening day.. but he's the last guy on the depth chart and will probably be the first guy sent down when a pitcher gets healthy. He has not appeared in a game yet. The point stands.. he's pure roster filler. I doubt any other club is that interested in him.

I'm not giving up on Volquez.. Just being realistic. Don't think he's going to be the #1 starter that many are desperately hoping for. I predict he will continue to be erratic and frustrating, but will have the occasional brilliant start.

I'm glad that Volquez turned down the longterm deal the Reds offered him.

Of course, I will still root for him every time he pitches, but IMO, when the Reds' staff is at full strength, he's the #4 or #5 best pitcher.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 04-04-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I've always been a proponent of dealing Francisco because I have never velieve his D would alolow him to be a decent NL starter. i've heard reports that he's shown solid improvemnt on the defensive side of things this spring. if so, and they believe he can come close to playing a league-average 3rd, I'd definitely hold onto him.

I've always said we should hold onto Frazier because he has versatiltiy and pop as a utility player (not so much as a starter).

If Yonder is going to be tried in the OF, the experiment should have been started early last year. If he can play a passable LF this year and show more power potential then I would hold onto him. I still would dealhim or a real outfielder though if the chance arose.

Mesoraco and Grandal would not be dealt anytime soon unless some one blew my socks off. I'd keep them as a catching tandem. I'd also work Mes at 1B and Grandal at 3B some in the minors to keep their legs fresh and to give them more versatility when they do make the big club. If they can backup the corner spots, you could carry both of them and a third catcher (like Fleury or Barnhart). That would leave Mes or Grandal free to PH on the days they weren't behind the plate or give a regular a day off.

I like Heisey, but I like Sappelt better. I'd deal Chris for anything that makes the club better. IMO, Negron can do anything Valaika can, plus he's a better SS. This is the year to deal maloney if he has another solid year. There are several interchangeable bullpen arms too that could make good deal sweeteners.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post

Mesoraco and Grandal would not be dealt anytime soon unless some one blew my socks off. I'd keep them as a catching tandem. I'd also work Mes at 1B and Grandal at 3B some in the minors to keep their legs fresh and to give them more versatility when they do make the big club. If they can backup the corner spots, you could carry both of them and a third catcher (like Fleury or Barnhart). That would leave Mes or Grandal free to PH on the days they weren't behind the plate or give a regular a day off.
    Where does Hanigan fit into this? He'll be much cheaper, more experienced with the pitching staff, and as of right now a better defender. Those guys are hard to come by, yet infinitely useful to a club. What's more, Mes and Grandal both have the potential to be top-tier catchers. Unless you want to let go of Votto and move one of them to 1b, there's no reason to block them from starting every day. We should hold onto them for this season in order to see if they both pan out; if they both do, there's no reason to waste their potential on the bench when one of them could be the main attraction in a trade for a TOR arm.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Where does Hanigan fit into this? He'll be much cheaper, more experienced with the pitching staff, and as of right now a better defender. Those guys are hard to come by, yet infinitely useful to a club. What's more, Mes and Grandal both have the potential to be top-tier catchers. Unless you want to let go of Votto and move one of them to 1b, there's no reason to block them from starting every day. We should hold onto them for this season in order to see if they both pan out; if they both do, there's no reason to waste their potential on the bench when one of them could be the main attraction in a trade for a TOR arm.
    Hanigan will be the backup to whoever fufills their potential unless he prices himself off the team
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?