Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Another allegation of wrongdoing at Auburn

Another allegation of wrongdoing at Auburn

This from former defensive lineman Stanley McClover, who is going to go on HBO to allege he was the recipient of extra benefits from an Auburn assistant coach, according to a report at Sports By Brooks.

McClover was a former Ohio State commit that raised some suspicions when suddenly changing his commitment on signing day, though no substantial allegations of wrongdoing ever surfaced publicly.

As part of a Real Sports episode on the “State of College Sports in America” to be aired March 30 on HBO, I’ve been told McClover names the assistant coach in the piece.

The accused assistant coach is no longer at the school.

The allegation against the Auburn football program by McClover, who left the school in January 2006, falls outside the NCAA’s standard statute of limitation guidline of four years, with one notable exception.
    Former Auburn Player To Detail Allegation on HBO

This allegation obviously occurred (reportedly) when Tommy Tuberville was the head coach, though it could still be punishable for the reasons detailed in the article.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another allegation of wrongdoing at Auburn

I expect the NCAA to give Middle Tennessee State the death penalty over this.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Maybe this is mildly interesting to someone at Texas Tech. Maybe.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Maybe this is mildly interesting to someone at Texas Tech. Maybe.
    HBO seems to find it interesting. The NCAA might find it interesting too.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    HBO seems to find it interesting. The NCAA might find it interesting too.
    HBO also thinks that polygamy and large male organs make for compelling television.

I'm sure the NCAA is chomping at the bits to investigate something that happened almost 8 years ago involving a player who last suited up in 2005 and an assistant coach who was part of a staff that hasn't been at Auburn for several years. Not really actually.

We don't know what the alleged special benefits were but Ronnie Brown (a teammate) suggests from talking to McClover about his HBO interview, McClover told Gumble that he was offered money. Brown also told the Birmingham news that he doubts the story will be credible. That's McClover's friend talking.

If McClover says he received a gazillion dollars maybe the NCAA puts it on it's "to do" list sometime or other.

Most likely this just gives Tigerdroppings more X files fodder.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    HBO also thinks that polygamy and large male organs make for compelling television.

I'm sure the NCAA is chomping at the bits to investigate something that happened almost 8 years ago involving a player who last suited up in 2005 and an assistant coach who was part of a staff that hasn't been at Auburn for several years. Not really actually.

We don't know what the alleged special benefits were but Ronnie Brown (a teammate) suggests from talking to McClover about his HBO interview, McClover told Gumble that he was offered money. Brown also told the Birmingham news that he doubts the story will be credible. That's McClover's friend talking.

If McClover says he received a gazillion dollars maybe the NCAA puts it on it's "to do" list sometime or other.

Most likely this just gives Tigerdroppings more X files fodder.
    HBO doesn't run something because no one wants to watch it. So that they're airing it shows they anticipate it draws a lot of interest. Maybe if their intended demographic is just Texas Tech folks, then you could be right. But something tells me they have a bigger demographic in mind.

I don't anticipate many former Auburn players to willingly come out and sell out their alma mater to the press. So that Brown made those comments really isn't indicative of anything.

Auburn's reputation is as such right now that any of these allegations are pretty believable. It's not just Auburn, it's the way things are these days. But I think most people understand that around the country, and are willing to admit that these things can and do happen all over, even at Auburn. But with all the other credible allegations out there right now (the FBI stuff isn't going away), this is just more on the NCAA's plate that will have to be dealt with.

All the other credible allegations out there? The "another" in this thread title implies something about the last several years that is wrong.

The FBI stuff? So it's now down to a hail Mary by Mulder and Scully? Most people around the country understand that facts are the essential underpinnings to e conclusions you're begging.

I'm no Auburn apologist, but I tend to side with JoJo here. The allegation isn't interesting in the "Wow I think Auburn's going to get burned here," but rather in the larger overall context of "Here's one way which College Football programs cheat."

It's interesting in the way that "The Program" was an interesting reflection of College Football's top team. Not that "The Program" led to FSU's downfall, but as a much larger reflection of college football as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Auburn's reputation is as such right now that any of these allegations are pretty believable. It's not just Auburn, it's the way things are these days. But I think most people understand that around the country, and are willing to admit that these things can and do happen all over, even at Auburn. But with all the other credible allegations out there right now (the FBI stuff isn't going away), this is just more on the NCAA's plate that will have to be dealt with.
    Couldn't you replace Auburn with OSU and insist the same thing? Yet, the allegations about improper benefits and car rentals was completely ignored by the NCAA.

jojo's right on this one. It'll get ignored. As it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Couldn't you replace Auburn with OSU and insist the same thing? Yet, the allegations about improper benefits and car rentals was completely ignored by the NCAA.

jojo's right on this one. It'll get ignored. As it should.
    Why should an allegation of a coach providing extra benefits get ignored?

You could insert any team if we're talking about boosters. But an allegation that a coach provided benefits should absolutely not get ignored.

Not all coaches give money & benefits to players, scrap. Do I think booster activity happens pretty much elsewhere? Of course. But there exists (and should exist) a very big distinction between when a booster does it and when a coach is doing it. That should never be ignored.

And I have yet to see the NCAA ever ignore a public allegation such as this one that involved coaches providing illegal benefits.

I think you're reaching here, Brutus. The NCAA ignores possible coaching infractions/ benefits all the time. Look at Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, or Texas A&M over the past ten to fifteen years for proof of that. There's enough smoke coming out of Baylor right now to make Chicago nervous, but nothing's getting done there. Same with Mississippi State-- Rick Stansbury crapped all over the NCAA guidelines-- twice-- but not only did the NCAA ignroe him, they gave him free reign. Bruce Pearl broke a rule knowingly, lied to the NCAA about it, then lied again, and apparently the only thing that's going to happen there is an SEC-related suspension. UConn's shady gig with Jim Calhoun and his assistants has been ignored for almost half a decade now. What's happened there? Nada.

If the NCAA wants to ignore something, it has a history of being able to do just that, assistant coaches, head coaches, or boosters be darned.

EDIT: Somehow, I didn't know about the UT allegations of the past week. Come back to me in another year to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I think you're reaching here, Brutus. The NCAA ignores possible coaching infractions/ benefits all the time. Look at Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, or Texas A&M over the past ten to fifteen years for proof of that. There's enough smoke coming out of Baylor right now to make Chicago nervous, but nothing's getting done there. Same with Mississippi State-- Rick Stansbury crapped all over the NCAA guidelines-- twice-- but not only did the NCAA ignroe him, they gave him free reign. Bruce Pearl broke a rule knowingly, lied to the NCAA about it, then lied again, and apparently the only thing that's going to happen there is an SEC-related suspension. UConn's shady gig with Jim Calhoun and his assistants has been ignored for almost half a decade now. What's happened there? Nada.

If the NCAA wants to ignore something, it has a history of being able to do just that, assistant coaches, head coaches, or boosters be darned.

EDIT: Somehow, I didn't know about the UT allegations of the past week. Come back to me in another year to see what happens.
    Well, I've heard of the NCAA not really looking into allegations, but I've never heard of any specific ones, such as this, that name a coach providing benefits, being ignored. Maybe there are examples I'm forgetting... but I don't remember any. Usually once a specific allegation makes it into a public report, the NCAA doesn't ignore it because they know they can't. Once it's out in the public they have to deal with it.

If any player were to say they were receiving money from boosters, I'd be inclined to agree with you. That could be said for Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Alabama... name the place. But when the allegation is against a coach, I find that to be a serious charge that needs looked at.

Not sure if this is anything new or not. None of this surprises me and these guys say they were even offered cash from boosters at Michigan and Ohio State. But one guy did say he switched committments from Ohio State to Auburn "after receiving cash that he said persuaded him to change his commitment." Where I have heard that before? But I'm sure this doesn't mean anything...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6272478
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?