Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Season questions

Season questions

Okay...who here..

1. Thinks that either Cuteo or Homer will pitch much on the major league level this season?

2. Believes Janish will see more playing time then Edger?

3. Wonders what happen with Fred Lewis?

4. Can't understand why we are going with just 4 OF?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Season questions

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Okay...who here..

1. Thinks that either Cuteo or Homer will pitch much on the major league level this season?

Both will pitch more than they wont pitch this season

tough to say, they claim Janish is the guy. they both suck imo. WE WANT BILLY HAMILTON

he's on the DL

because Francisco can sub in as the 5th OF

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Okay...who here..

I think both Homer and Cueto will pitch most of the season in the majors and have solid years.

Janish is our starting SS. ER is a back up, stop gap player.

Don't care about what happens with Lewis. Don't need him.

Having only 4 OF'ers is not a big deal. Only need 3 starters and the fourth is pretty special. In a pinch we have an IF who can play out there. We also have some very athletic pitchers if needed. No big deal.

Would you rather have Francisco and Hermida OR Francisco and Cairo?

1. I have more faith in Cueto. There is still a chance that his problems are minor and don't involve structural damage. If he feels OK in a 2-4 weeks he could still play most of the season. Last year Cueto was pretty solid. Bailey on the other hand has never put it together for more than 1/3 of a season. He is still young and he might have the most up-side of the two.

2. Janish will have to play well because not only is Renteria waiting, but Cozart is nearly ready and he has some pop. I thnk they will give Janish a chance but they won't keep with him if his hitting is terrible. Renteria is the current WS MVP and I am excited to have him on the team. The guy can play and he has the "aura of winning."

3. I don't think Lewis is in the Reds future. IMO they have better options with more up-side.

4. If the Reds go with a 4 OF roster it would be because Francisco can play in LF when needed as a LH hitting option. I think that makes since. Barring injury, Bruce and Stubbs will play almost every day, and Gomes will get a lot of starts in LF. That leaves Heisey who can play all 3 OF positions. Why do they need someone like Lewis as a 5th OF? Francisco can fill that need while also getting some playing time at 3B. At some point in the season when/if Rolen goes out for awhile, then Francisco and Cairo would take over, and that might make room for Sappelt as the 5th OF if he is tearing up AAA.
    That's a lot of if's, and's, and but's.

Not too worried about Cueto. But Bailey has had this shoulder problem before and hasn't made it through a full season healthy. That worries me a lot that he may miss a couple months again.

Janish will play more than Edgar. It's the defense.

I wonder if Lewis is really injured or it's just a way to buy time. Seems like he's just insurance.

Don't need a 5th outfielder with Heisey's versatility defensively. the 5th outfielder really just becomes a pinch hitter.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Don't need a 5th outfielder with Heisey's versatility defensively. the 5th outfielder really just becomes a pinch hitter.
    The problem is, without a fifth outfielder you lose Heisey as a pinch hitter or face the potential of losing an OF to injury or a double-switch scenario late in the game.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    because Francisco can sub in as the 5th OF
    You are okay with Francisco in the OF?

You are okay with Francisco in the OF?
    Since Francisco would be in place of Gomes, even if his defense is below average it might not be much of a drop off. He got good reports in ST playing some LF and even made some nice plays. He's got the arm to play LF for sure.

I think it's the same old numbers crunch we've been talking about all ST. Who would your 5th OF be? Probably Hermidia or Sappelt. Neither of those guys are on the 40 man roster, so I think they decided to try to squeek by the first couple of weeks of the season, with all the off days, with just the 4 guys and Fransisco if they get in a pinch.

I can see the logic...why lose a guy from the 40 man just to bring up a guy who's going to go back down in a couple of weeks? Hopefully it won't backfire on thim.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Hopefully they'll only pitch on the major league level.

I think they'll pretty evenly split duty. I could see Edgar getting some run at 3b to spell Rolen too.

Its a long season. Two years ago Gomes started the season in Louisville. If Lewis/Hermedia/Sappelt tear it up in AAA they will be up and playing, things like this tend to work themselves out.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Turn Off Ads?