Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone here into the solar and wind energy craze?

anyone here into the solar and wind energy craze?

I am wanting to start building my home in the next year or so, I have land in the country and its somewhat up on a hill....I thought of looking into solar and wind but not to sure where to start....you guys have any ideas?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: anyone here into the solar and wind energy craze?

Solar energy isn't worth it. For the price point, you can get much more efficient solutions.

Go geothermal, on a new construction it will pay off more, and is still green.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

cool.....I have heard the cost of solar is outrageous and takes years to pay off....but why then are people doing it more and more? is it more for the business that uses alot? and not so much for the homeowner just using normal electric?

I ask because my wife and I do intend to run a small greenhouse on the property after we build, would this be something you would look into running with solar? or should I stick to geothermal for that as well....

thanks in advance

I guess it depends on the size of the home and if you are going to live off the grid? to start.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    cool.....I have heard the cost of solar is outrageous and takes years to pay off....but why then are people doing it more and more?
    I would say it's involved into a fad at this point.

Solar and wind power has intrigued people for decades but they're still not an economical means of power. Traditional means of energy (plus nuclear) are far more concentrated making them more efficient.

I would also say that geothermal is the way to go if you want to reduce power consumption in your home.

Solar is expensive, but there may be opportunities to recoup the initial investment by selling surplus power back to the grid. I really don't know the specifics on this, but it is worth checking with your local utility to see if this is possible. If so, you can eventually repay yourself for the investment and actually create a small income on the side in the future.

You could also make or buy a solar water heater. It is typically a passive (non-electric) solar system that heats water in a collector panel (dark tubes that absorb solar radiation) and then either feeds it to a backup water heater or directly into the system. They're pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post

I would also say that geothermal is the way to go if you want to reduce power consumption in your home.
    It will defiantly reduce power consumption but it may not save you money.

Depends on how long your planning on living there as to weather it is cost effective. The increased cost of the system will take years to balance out and actually start saving you money. I have a fiend who will start building this year. He is 65 and opted to go with conventional gas because he figured he would have to live there 20 years for it to start saving him money. He is a retired plumber and has a lot of service experience with geo and HVAC systems.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Living past 85 is not at all rare anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post

Depends on how long your planning on living there as to weather it is cost effective. The increased cost of the system will take years to balance out and actually start saving you money. I have a fiend who will start building this year. He is 65 and opted to go with conventional gas because he figured he would have to live there 20 years for it to start saving him money. He is a retired plumber and has a lot of service experience with geo and HVAC systems.
    Geothermal increases your property value as well though. Also as energy prices increase, and they will, your geothermal system will still be paying you. I have natural gas, and that system is approaching twenty years old. I have been researching my options, financially I am not in a position to just replace it, so I am educating myself for the day I need to replace it. I will probably be going back with natural gas, but if I was building new it would be geothermal.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post

It also may be cheaper since lidspinner is building his home, rather than having to dig up an existing back yard.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

If I were to build my dream home I would really consider solar power. It is expensive and takes years to recoup the original investment, but then again I wouldn't be looking to move out of my dream home after a couple of years. The idea of selling energy back to the grid also would entice me.

But in general solar is just too expensive to be practical. Geothermal does seem to be the newest idea to come about. I don't really know if its the same thing or similar but I know radiant heat is becoming a popular idea in some places. It makes sense to me and seems practical as well.

If your not in a tsunami plain you might consider a small reactor.

Seriously, one thing to consider with wind and air is that the speculators and dictators can never jack up the price.

Well, not yet.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Seriously, one thing to consider with wind and air is that the speculators and dictators can never jack up the price.

Well, not yet.
    A mad scientist just cackled somewhere.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

http://www.dreamgreenhomes.com/index.htm

here's a link to a site about plans for "green homes." They have plans for a solar greenhouse, among other things. If you want a truly energy efficient home, you need to look at the design and materials you use as well as your energy source.

Turn Off Ads?