Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember what Keith Law said when Billy Hamilton was drafted?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Remember what Keith Law said when Billy Hamilton was drafted?

Soon after the Reds picked Billy Hamilton in the second round in 2009, ESPN.com's Keith Law hosted a chat and was taking questions about various picks. I remember this verbatim: A Reds fan sent in a question that read: "What do you think of the Reds grabbing SS Billy Hamilton in the second round?"

Law, in full smug mode, said: "He can run. He can't hit. Good luck."

And now we know why Keith Law -- who is about as much of a talent scout as the local drunk at the corner bar -- is no longer working for a MLB team, but is spouting off BS for ESPN.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Remember what Keith Law said when Billy Hamilton was drafted?

AGREE 100%...... HAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Have always despised this guy (like many) and with each of his comments I loathe him more and more...
    Go Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Soon after the Reds picked Billy Hamilton in the second round in 2009, ESPN.com's Keith Law hosted a chat and was taking questions about various picks. I remember this verbatim: A Reds fan sent in a question that read: "What do you think of the Reds grabbing SS Billy Hamilton in the second round?"

Law, in full smug mode, said: "He can run. He can't hit. Good luck."

And now we know why Keith Law -- who is about as much of a talent scout as the local drunk at the corner bar -- is no longer working for a MLB team, but is spouting off BS for ESPN.
    Wow...that's aggressive. He did catch a lot of flak for what he said about Harang a few years ago. Seems like he wasn't wrong about that. And has anything been proven about Hamilton at this stage? Law scouted him during ST and said that he really needs to get stronger. Did you see that? I recommend it, because it makes sense.

But why the general feeling of animosity for Law? I really don't get it.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 04-01-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Love it when these self-styled experts are held accountable for their amateur proclaiming.

Before we start proclaiming Hamilton proving Law wrong, which I hope he does, let's see if he hits when he gets to the major leagues. That's what counts.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Keith Law is the Todd McShay of baseball. He should stick to his other passion- writing foodie blogs
    Go BLUE!!!

Yea lets at least wait until Hamilton makes it past rookie ball before we start mocking Keith Law...as much I love mocking Keith law.

He did catch a lot of flak for what he said about Harang a few years ago. Seems like he wasn't wrong about that.
    He was very wrong at the time. Unless he predicted the San Diego game and the subsequent decline in Harang's ability to throw a baseball, Law was way off in his assessment of Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Yea lets at least wait until Hamilton makes it past rookie ball before we start mocking Keith Law...as much I love mocking Keith law.

He was very wrong at the time. Unless he predicted the San Diego game and the subsequent decline in Harang's ability to throw a baseball, Law was way off in his assessment of Harang.
    SD game is debatable. And I'm not sure that any of us know exactly where he was coming from when he said that. But I think that his comment holds a little more water now than it did then, when everyone and their brother was shredding him for saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Wow...that's aggressive. He did catch a lot of flak for what he said about Harang a few years ago. Seems like he wasn't wrong about that. And has anything been proven about Hamilton at this stage? Law scouted him during ST and said that he really needs to get stronger. Did you see that? I recommend it, because it makes sense.

But why the general feeling of animosity for Law? I really don't get it.
    Law has said a quite a few other things that could upset a Reds fan, and his track record on draft day for all teams is well below average.

Just a few that I remember, he said that Zach Cozart was a terrible pick and projected to be a utility guy at best, and he said that the Reds would never win with Dusty Baker as manager.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

A best friend of mine work for the Memphis Grizzlies a few years back when they were preparing for their upcoming draft. He said within the NBA it was well known that many of the "experts" at ESPN are constantly trying to get into or get back into the sport, so they write or say what is best for their agenda.

For example that year all the ESPN mock drafts had a certain player going to the Grizzlies, but that certain player refused to even workout for them because he did not want to play in Memphis, and because of that the Grizzlies had no real interest in him and never intended to draft him. The person doing the mock draft was one of those types of writers and he was trying to work his cards to get back in the league. If that is the case with basketball I'm sure that is the case with all the other sports, and many times seems exactly what Keith Law does.

But I think that his comment holds a little more water now than it did then, when everyone and their brother was shredding him for saying it.
    IIRC, Harang was one of the best starters in the league when Law called him a back rotation guy. The statement was similar to Colin Cowherd's comments on Votto earlier this season... just an "expert" blabbering to draw attention and drum up controversy. Harang's career after that comment is irrelevant IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Law has said a quite a few other things that could upset a Reds fan, and his track record on draft day for all teams is well below average.

Just a few that I remember, he said that Zach Cozart was a terrible pick and projected to be a utility guy at best, and he said that the Reds would never win with Dusty Baker as manager.
    He had Cozart ranked 38th in that draft, right behind a HS Yasmani Grandal and right before a HS Christian Colon. Cincy picked him 79th. Are you sure that he thought it was an awful pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    IIRC, Harang was one of the best starters in the league when Law called him a back rotation guy. The statement was similar to Colin Cowherd's comments on Votto earlier this season... just an "expert" blabbering to draw attention and drum up controversy. Harang's career after that comment is irrelevant IMO.
    "One of the best starters in the league" could be a little much. I think our views of pitching may have been skewed in Harang's heyday due to what we were comparing him to. Kind of like the somewhat attractive girl at the bar with the ugly friends. Maybe he looked a bit better because he was hanging out with Eric Milton and Brandon Claussen.

3 seasons with an ERA under 4.21 in his career while he pitched most of his career against the NL Central, none under 3.73. Is that what we would really call a top pitcher?

I liked the guy, no doubt, but I'm not sure if referring to him in that way is entirely accurate.

He may not have been Cy Young, but at the same time he led the league in strikeouts, wins and complete games the same time Law was saying he was a #4 starter. It's pretty clear Law was the guy who screwed up on that one.

Turn Off Ads?