Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B-Box News

-The Insider-

B-Box News

Just thought I'd let you guys know that from what I've heard (as in just a text,) that Brad Boxberger will stay as a reliever this season for Double-A Carolina.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: B-Box News

And by the way, it wasn't a player saying "I think" it was someone else from them saying that's what was going to happen.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't like the idea. At least not yet. The Reds have a ton of bullpen options for 2011 still. Let the guy start and see if he can make it as a starter. If its July and you don't think he can, then move him back to the pen and you don't really set back the franchise in terms of needing his arm to help the big league club. He was clearly much better as a starter last season, and while he did need to improve his stamina, I still think its a tad early to make such a move given where the franchise is at in terms of its pitching.

Here's my theory about Reds closers for the next few years:
    Francisco Cordero -> Nick Masset -> Brad Boxberger

-The Insider-

Yea, I wasn't too sure about the move last year because he did really well for Lynchburg. (4-6, 3.19, 70/20 K/BB ratio in 62 innings in 14 games, 13 starts) but I guess they feel that the guys they have now in the big leagues is going to be there for a while.

Cue the "We should have drafted Scheppers"
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Cue the "We should have drafted Scheppers"
    We should have drafted Linec... oh wait thats another guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't like the idea. At least not yet. The Reds have a ton of bullpen options for 2011 still. Let the guy start and see if he can make it as a starter. If its July and you don't think he can, then move him back to the pen and you don't really set back the franchise in terms of needing his arm to help the big league club. He was clearly much better as a starter last season, and while he did need to improve his stamina, I still think its a tad early to make such a move given where the franchise is at in terms of its pitching.
    I agree. Boxberger should be a starter at this point in his career. He can always transition to the pen if need be.

Brad Boxberger, through May 24, 2011

21.2 IP, 1.25 ERA, 11h, 9bb, 36k, gets more groundballs than flyballs, opposition is hitting .151 against him for the year.

Nice turn around from his time in AA last year.

21.2 IP, 1.25 ERA, 11h, 9bb, 36k, gets more groundballs than flyballs, opposition is hitting .151 against him for the year.

Nice turn around from his time in AA last year.
    Very much so. I haven't been a believer, but it's hard to be anything but optimistic about his chances as a reliever now. Slight question with the walks, but it's too early to tell if that's significant. I guess he's had a problem staying strong over the course of a season. Hopefully working exclusively out of the pen will resolve that.

Now that it's pretty clear his future is going to remain in the 'pen, do most see him as a future closer?

It's hard to get really excited about a guy who's ceiling is a setup guy, and the Reds have hit some bumps in the road lately with those types (Joseph, Roenicke, Watson). I'll be upfront and say that I wasn't enamored with the BBox pick when it happened, but it's nice to see him having some success in AA.

It will be interesting to see who has a better career, Boxberger or Zach Stewart...
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-25-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Now that it's pretty clear his future is going to remain in the 'pen, do most see him as a future closer?

It's hard to get really excited about a guy who's ceiling is a setup guy, and the Reds have hit some bumps in the road lately with those types (Joseph, Roenicke, Watson). I'll be upfront and say that I wasn't enamored with the BBox pick when it happened, but it's nice to see him having some success in AA.

It will be interesting to see who has a better career, Boxberger or Zach Stewart...
    Does Joseph not have closer stuff? I know he's struggling, but I was under the impression that his fastball is good and his slider is top of the line. He looks like more of a closer to me than Box (who seems like more of an electric setup guy, like Masset).

I've always been wary of converted starters, though. Sure, maybe their stuff profiles better that way, but it carries a lot of risk and diminishes their value; clubs with a dearth of starting prospects shouldn't be playing that game, especially they are succeeding at starting.

-The Insider-

He's done both for Carolina this year. (B-Box) but I think setup might be more his forte.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Does Joseph not have closer stuff? I know he's struggling, but I was under the impression that his fastball is good and his slider is top of the line. He looks like more of a closer to me than Box (who seems like more of an electric setup guy, like Masset).

I've always been wary of converted starters, though. Sure, maybe their stuff profiles better that way, but it carries a lot of risk and diminishes their value; clubs with a dearth of starting prospects shouldn't be playing that game, especially they are succeeding at starting.
    Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    He's done both for Carolina this year. (B-Box) but I think setup might be more his forte.
    Unfortunately as I expected. Hard to get all jazzed up about a 24 year old setup man in AA, especially as a former first round (sandwich) pick. Hopefully he can become the next Logan Ondrusek.
    Go BLUE!!!

Unfortunately as I expected. Hard to get all jazzed up about a 24 year old setup man in AA, especially as a former first round (sandwich) pick. Hopefully he can become the next Logan Ondrusek.
    Go back and check out the history of success of sandwich picks. Coming up with a solid setup man at that point in the draft is a win.

Turn Off Ads?