Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember what Keith Law said when Billy Hamilton was drafted?

Re: Remember what Keith Law said when Billy Hamilton was drafted?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe it is because we are Reds fans, but for a while now he seems to always have bad things to say about the Reds. As for his comment on Billy Hamilton.... he was right at the time. The year he was drafted he hit .205 in the GCL and struck out in 26% of his plate appearances. Of course things have since changed some, but there are still PLENTY of people out there who question his bat and while I don't fully agree with them, I am far from sold on it either. You can see that there are things there that could be very good, but he has some bad going on in his swing too.
    thanks for the info doug. You're, by far, the best poster on the board. I always enjoy reading your posts more than anyone else.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Soon after the Reds picked Billy Hamilton in the second round in 2009, ESPN.com's Keith Law hosted a chat and was taking questions about various picks. I remember this verbatim: A Reds fan sent in a question that read: "What do you think of the Reds grabbing SS Billy Hamilton in the second round?"

Law, in full smug mode, said: "He can run. He can't hit. Good luck."

And now we know why Keith Law -- who is about as much of a talent scout as the local drunk at the corner bar -- is no longer working for a MLB team, but is spouting off BS for ESPN.
    .197/.288/.274 for a .562 OPS.

They need to stop this switch hitting experiment and let him hit from his natural side.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    .197/.288/.274 for a .562 OPS.
    He's a toolsy prospect. If history tells us anything, it's that the light switch often clicks suddenly for guys like him and they rocket through the system after that.

Too early to sing his praises, too early to condemn him
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He's a toolsy prospect. If history tells us anything, it's that the light switch often clicks suddenly for guys like him and they rocket through the system after that.

Too early to sing his praises, too early to condemn him
    I agree with all points.

I just don't see how Keith Law has even been slightly wrong to this point.

Billy Hamilton hit .318/.383/.456/.839 last season in Billings. His struggles this year have been pretty obvious, but it's kind of silly to label him as a no-stick player, as Law effectively did.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

It is too early for anything with Hamilton, Yorman and Duran. They are teenagers in A ball. If they hit in Dayton, great. It's not until they repeat Dayton next year and still do nothing that I'll start to be very concerned.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Billy Hamilton hit .318/.383/.456/.839 last season in Billings. His struggles this year have been pretty obvious, but it's kind of silly to label him as a no-stick player, as Law effectively did.
    Everybody hits in Billings.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Everybody hits in Billings.
    Except Drew Stubbs, who posted a very pedestrian .252 / .368 / .400 line as a 21 y/o college product in his time at Billings.

Which directs me back to my original point -- toolsy prospects frequently look miserable until, seemingly overnight, they just "get it" and all the potential starts to come pouring out at once.

Now, they sometimes never reach that point and end up being piles of nothing with mountains of potential (looking your way Ruben Mateo & Wily Mo Pena), so there's always that concern -- but frankly, making a judgment either way about anything is just asking for trouble.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Except Drew Stubbs, who posted a very pedestrian .252 / .368 / .400 line as a 21 y/o college product in his time at Billings.

Which directs me back to my original point -- toolsy prospects frequently look miserable until, seemingly overnight, they just "get it" and all the potential starts to come pouring out at once.

Now, they sometimes never reach that point and end up being piles of nothing with mountains of potential (looking your way Ruben Mateo & Wily Mo Pena), so there's always that concern -- but frankly, making a judgment either way about anything is just asking for trouble.
    So how does one value an unknown quantity?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    So how does one value an unknown quantity?
    Carefully
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I'd bet if you asked 50 talent evaluators that have scouted him, 40 or more would say he is a no-stick player. If he was a 60 runner, he'd be darn near worthless. Thankfully he is a 85 runner (yeah, I just graded a tool higher than possible), so he still effective. I'm a huge fan of the guy and Dayton is the first box score I check because of him, so I'm not trying to bash.

He has some major fundamental flaws in his swing that will change after this year I'm sure. Be prepared to see a Juan Pierre style hitter up there next year (I hope).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I'd bet if you asked 50 talent evaluators that have scouted him, 40 or more would say he is a no-stick player. If he was a 60 runner, he'd be darn near worthless. Thankfully he is a 85 runner (yeah, I just graded a tool higher than possible), so he still effective. I'm a huge fan of the guy and Dayton is the first box score I check because of him, so I'm not trying to bash.

He has some major fundamental flaws in his swing that will change after this year I'm sure. Be prepared to see a Juan Pierre style hitter up there next year (I hope).
    I wouldn't try to turn him into a Juan Pierre type hitter just yet. The guy does have some gap power from both sides when things are working right with his swing and he keeps his weight back. Unfortunately right now he simply doesn't keep his weight back often at all and is often out on his front foot.

I would rather the Reds take him back to a RHH only before they tried to turn him into a slap hitter.

Wish we Mr. Miyagi in Dayton who had a wax on/wax off drill to keep his weight back.

He's on the front page of www.minorleaguebaseball.com with a video of him stealing his "minor league leading 38th base". Of course he somehow managed to get on base again Thursday night and got #39. He was sliding into second and on the bag for #38 before the IFer even caught the ball.

I like the idea of him repeating low A next year. He's got time on his side, and plenty to learn.

Turn Off Ads?