Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 89

Thread: Setting the Tone

  1. #46
    Member MattyHo4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,515

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Sounds good Matty. I must admit that I thought Garcia would be a bit of a flash in the pan. I thought he got VERY lucky last year. Well, yesterday turned some heads IMO. If he's that solid this year, that'll be a HUGE boost for the Cards.
    The Cards need Garcia to be a good #2 pitcher to help make up for the loss of Wainwright. Even without Wainwright, the Cardinals have the potential to have a very good rotation. Kyle Lohse is a wild card after the way he pitched after returning from injury last year. He could be good or he could be very bad. The guy I'm interested in watching is Kyle Mcclellan. He almost made the rotation last year in Spring Training, but Garcia won the job with a great Spring. Mcclellan has been very important to the Cards bullpen for the last couple of years, so the bullpen is weaker.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,705

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    The Cards need Garcia to be a good #2 pitcher to help make up for the loss of Wainwright. Even without Wainwright, the Cardinals have the potential to have a very good rotation. Kyle Lohse is a wild card after the way he pitched after returning from injury last year. He could be good or he could be very bad. The guy I'm interested in watching is Kyle Mcclellan. He almost made the rotation last year in Spring Training, but Garcia won the job with a great Spring. Mcclellan has been very important to the Cards bullpen for the last couple of years, so the bullpen is weaker.
    Well, I'm far from sold on Lohse. He's either great or horrible without anything in between. Westbrook looked horrible last time out and he's a pretty big question mark too IMO. McClellan I simply don't know much about, but as a 5th starter, as long as he doesn't implode...he's a plus. But I don't know that you can count on him NOT imploding. And I'm sure you won't agree with this, but I also see Carpenter regressing rather heavily this season. In order for this rotation to be very good...a LOT of things have to go VERY right IMO. They could be VERY bad much more easily. Without any depth, one more injury and they're toast.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  4. #48
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,078

    Re: Setting the Tone

    3-0 'tis better than 2-1.

    But either way, its the start of the season, meaning that "its only spring training" has been replaced by "its early"

    Am I greedy for wanting a sweep over Houston? Houston looks pretty bad, perhaps last place bad. The Reds were made last year by controlling series vs teams like Houston. Keep winning those series, sprinkle in more winning series vs the likes of Milwaukee & St Louis, perhaps they'll fight for home field advantage.

    Then again, "its early" one game at a time.

  5. #49
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,748

    Re: Setting the Tone

    It was great to start 3-0, especially in front of the big crowds.

    I was worried the Reds would stumble out of the gate, due to pitching injuries and Volquez starting opening day.

    IMO, a good start was critical this year to keep the buzz alive and keep the tickets selling..

    I love seeing Milwaukee in last place, with an 0-3 record..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  6. #50
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,980

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    Well...I'm predicting that the Cardinals will be in first place for most of the year. In time, we will see which prediction is more accurate. lol
    Dictionary.com

    HOMER:

    1. Father of Bart, Lisa, and Maggie on "The Simpsons"

    2. A ball hit over the fence by a McGwire/Pujols roid-aided bat

    3. MattyMo4Life
    Last edited by RBA; 04-04-2011 at 11:26 AM.

  7. #51
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,705

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Dictionary.com

    HOMER:

    1. Father of Bart, Lisa, and Maggie on "The Simpsons"

    2. A ball hit over the fence by a McGwire/Pujols roid-aided bat

    3. MattMo4Life
    Now to be fair...there's a BUNCH or Reds homers here too. I'm fully guilty of that. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  8. #52
    Member MattyHo4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,515

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Well, I'm far from sold on Lohse. He's either great or horrible without anything in between.
    I'm far from being sold on Lohse also. That's why I said he is either good or very bad. I would have prefered seeing him in AAA last year than pitching for the Cards. Unfortunately, the Cards didn't have much of a choice.

    OTOH, I think Mcclellan will surprise a lot of people. I've been a big advocate of putting him in the rotation the last couple of years. I wanted him in the rotation last year instead of Hawksworth or Lohse, but that didn't happen.

    With Carpenter, you always worry about injury. His season will depend on if he can stay healthy.

  9. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,393

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It actually is more meaningful than some other games because its against a team we are directly competing against. A win for us is a guaranteed loss for them. A win against the Braves doesn't mean the same for us winning our division. To top it off, this was a win against a team that is supposed to be key competition against us. And then of course is the fact that todays win was a two game swing over them. If we lost, we only have 1 game up on them, but because we won, we are 3 games up on them.

    Yes, I agree, games against divisional opponents are more important than others.

  10. #54
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,705

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    I'm far from being sold on Lohse also. That's why I said he is either good or very bad. I would have prefered seeing him in AAA last year than pitching for the Cards. Unfortunately, the Cards didn't have much of a choice.

    OTOH, I think Mcclellan will surprise a lot of people. I've been a big advocate of putting him in the rotation the last couple of years. I wanted him in the rotation last year instead of Hawksworth or Lohse, but that didn't happen.

    With Carpenter, you always worry about injury. His season will depend on if he can stay healthy.
    Looks like we agree for the most part. The thing with Carpenter though, yeah he's always an injury risk somewhat, but for me I'm thinking regression simply due to age. He's 37 in a few days/weeks. He's ripe for a decline...and of course with age comes more nagging injuries.

    And with McClellan...I'd think that workload would be a rather big concern for him since he hasn't been a starter in so long. That means leaning heavily on the bullpen on his outings. And that pen's looking awfully thin this season. Another "wait and find out" I'd guess. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-04-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  11. #55
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,560

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    Well...I'm predicting that the Cardinals will be in first place for most of the year. In time, we will see which prediction is more accurate. lol
    Not to disrespect the Brewers (more than they already disrespected themselves defensively this weekend), but the Cardinals are always the team I'm checking the rear-view mirror for. They always seem to find arms when they need them, and they still have #5 in sitting at the top of that lineup.

    They're like the zombie in a movie: I refuse to believe they're done until I see the entire body blown apart in some enormous explosion.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  12. #56
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,609

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    They're like the zombie in a movie: I refuse to believe they're done until I see the entire body blown apart in some enormous explosion.
    That's where I'm at.

    The Brewers were the media darlings coming into this season, but it will always be The Cardinals who I'm getting nervous about until they're mathematically out of it. Your explosion scenario would be acceptable as well. :
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  13. #57
    Member MattyHo4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,515

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    That's where I'm at.

    The Brewers were the media darlings coming into this season
    I don't know....the Reds seemed like the media darlings coming into the season.

  14. #58
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    I don't know....the Reds seemed like the media darlings coming into the season.
    I have to agree with you. Perhaps at the start of Spring Training, the talk was leaning towards the Brewers and, to some degree, the Cardinals as fighting us for it, but as the season approached, I was very surprised how many pundits were saying it's the Reds, including some saying all the way, and I'm one of the most Pollyannish folks around, and that seems wildly optimistic to me.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  15. #59
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,180

    Re: Setting the Tone

    The 1987 Reds started off 4-0, were 16-7 after the first month, and 3.5 games up in August. They finished 6 games out.

    It's a very long season.
    "I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    —Bill Cosby

  16. #60
    Member MattyHo4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,515

    Re: Setting the Tone

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I have to agree with you. Perhaps at the start of Spring Training, the talk was leaning towards the Brewers and, to some degree, the Cardinals as fighting us for it, but as the season approached, I was very surprised how many pundits were saying it's the Reds, including some saying all the way, and I'm one of the most Pollyannish folks around, and that seems wildly optimistic to me.
    It seemed like picking the Reds was the "in" thing to do Nationally. Almost all of the St. Louis reporters picked the Reds, and none of them picked the Cardinals. For once in a long time, the Reds are the favorite and the Cardinals are the underdog. I kinda like it that way.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25